The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TSN 1040 has been eliminated

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

On 8/22/2021 at 3:49 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

If this is Donnie invigorated, yikes. He sounds like he's bored half the time. In fact the only time I see him on the show where we see  the old Donnie, is when they let him do highlight packages. 

I find the new Donnie a bit cringe (he’s trying to embrace negativity), which is sad since I grew up a fan of his, and Sekeres and Price have gone completely over to dark side of schlock journalism. Even Blake Price, as vanilla as they come in the 1040 days has become Sekeres’ little minion of negativity. Love it when Craig Button calls out their desperately negative takes….John Shannon has as well. 

In general, apart from Halford and Brough, the sports media scene currently in Vancouver is probably the worst it’s ever been.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

On 8/22/2021 at 1:30 PM, -SN- said:

Just turn the radio off then. 

oh I have believe me, it's all the same $&!#e.. different day.. I check back periodically but it's still the same. meh whatever, this team is potentially a couple of years off being a constant contender, what else can we ask for? no matter what they say we have a team "almost" there, only experience playing together is the last thing on the menu and see where we need work now our turnstile of players coming off contracts is over and we get to see what we have for a change, but the media can say what they like and always people who will listen so whatever.. it's still good for a laugh.. cough cough (JT Miller) cough cough.. we got so scammed right, all we got was a high scoring 1st line player out of it.. fack! 

• Cheers 1

On 8/22/2021 at 1:16 PM, iceman64 said:

That's one too many, every one of them has been a joke for the most part. 

They simply to regurgitate things they have heard as IF it's the truth without even checking and then people fall for it.. 

No sports radio would be better than the 2 bit crap sad excuse for media we have here in Vancouver.

On 8/22/2021 at 1:30 PM, -SN- said:

Just turn the radio off then. 

................a simple solution to a simple problem!  You should run for P.M. !!!! (I'll vote for you !!!!)

On 2/9/2021 at 9:36 AM, Tre Mac said:

Bell sucks, I was really pissed off we couldn't watch US ads during the superbowl.  Guess we know where all that money went, to the lawyers.

Sportsnet radio sucks, even of I got clear reception I still wouldn't bother with that brown-nosing reporting.

Why would they show American ads during the Superbowl when they could sell that inventory themselves and make much more money?  It's a simple business decision.  If you want to watch the American ads, which have been getting less impressive by the year, look them up on YouTube.

imagine living in a society where people feel like they missed out by not seeing some money-grubbing, consumerism-obsessed golem of a multibillion dollar corporation's paid advertisements. 

the only good advertisement is the one I'm not exposed to. 

3 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

Every few weeks I’ll give one of the post-1040 podcasts a try, just in case they have improved. Not so much. You do have to wonder why all of them seem to be sponsored by pube trimmer manufacturers and divorce attorneys. :lol:

Manscape sponsors everybody who has content. 

18 hours ago, Zhukini said:

Thank god for podcasts or Id have to listen to 650, can’t wait til they lose the radio rights next year.

yeah, 650 is like rogers just handed over vancouver sports radio to the 15 year olds in the canucks twitterverse and said, "there ya go, have fun!"

I've never been exposed to another "professional" broadcast of any format with as little knowledge, experience, talent, insight, and entertainment value as the crew at 650. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Zhukini said:

Thank god for podcasts or Id have to listen to 650, can’t wait til they lose the radio rights next year.

Seems unlikely...they're owned by Rogers.

8 minutes ago, tas said:

yeah, 650 is like rogers just handed over vancouver sports radio to the 15 year olds in the canucks twitterverse and said, "there ya go, have fun!"

I've never been exposed to another "professional" broadcast of any format with as little knowledge, experience, talent, insight, and entertainment value as the crew at 650. 

I rather enjoy most all of 650 Canucks coverage, not much for Riccio though. 

5 minutes ago, Cat Man said:

Seems unlikely...they're owned by Rogers.

I rather enjoy most all of 650 Canucks coverage, not much for Riccio though. 

Riccio is from Toronto, a Leaf’s lover, and hates Vancouver.  It was a foolish idea to hire guys who clearly hate our team and city.  I’ve noticed the programmer tries to protect Riccio by having him almost always argue on the positive side of any Canuck’s debate.  He always makes his points with some backhanded (snide) negative comment included.  

• Cheers 2

the way they make fun of benning and try to goad him into getting annoyed during interviews and then play out of context soundbites thinking they're making him sound stupid while they giggle like schoolgirls is honestly embarrassing. 

I sincerely hope they all lose their jobs. 

8 minutes ago, tas said:

the way they make fun of benning and try to goad him into getting annoyed during interviews and then play out of context soundbites thinking they're making him sound stupid while they giggle like schoolgirls is honestly embarrassing. 

I sincerely hope they all lose their jobs. 

If 650 loses the Canuck’s radio rights, then the station will go back to playing elevator music.  

Sounds like Blake Price was buddy buddy with Whitecaps boss Marc Dos Santos…going to bat HARD for him whereas he (and Sekeres) had Travis Green pretty much dead and buried and seemed a bit pouty and downright stunned when he was retained. Speaking of Price, seems like he’s really out there scrambling for gigs since he lost the team 1040 gig (those guys made big salaries there apparently)….seems like he’s doing play by play all over the place. He’s….not terribly good at it.

I do wonder how some of these local guys will fare when (I refuse to say IF) the Canucks are really good again and the negative narrative won’t work any more? 

• Like 1

On 8/28/2021 at 1:11 PM, Locke Lamora said:

Sounds like Blake Price was buddy buddy with Whitecaps boss Marc Dos Santos…going to bat HARD for him whereas he (and Sekeres) had Travis Green pretty much dead and buried and seemed a bit pouty and downright stunned when he was retained. Speaking of Price, seems like he’s really out there scrambling for gigs since he lost the team 1040 gig (those guys made big salaries there apparently)….seems like he’s doing play by play all over the place. He’s….not terribly good at it.

I do wonder how some of these local guys will fare when (I refuse to say IF) the Canucks are really good again and the negative narrative won’t work any more? 

Blake Price will always be negative - the Canucks could win the cup and he would gripe about the parade being on a Thursday instead of Friday...

FWIW.... I think 650 >>>>>>>> TSN 1040 for Canucks coverage.

it might be host-dependent but 1040 announcers spent alot of time being personalities. talking Rambo or Home Alone etc..... if they talked Canucks, it was "does Jake Virtanen deserve another shot?". real bar-room fan discussion analysis.

650 talks Canucks and covers the whole team and all the prospects... they know the Canucks.

having said that, there's a few on-air people at either 1040/650 who have no clue on salary cap. no idea why we couldn't sign all 3 of markstrom, tuffoli and tanev. no clue as to salary cap and nuances of EP/QH situations.

1040 did break some Canucks stories.. but does that really matter when the whole Canucks world is on the story 3 minutes later?.. I guess you can argue they have closer relationship with JB, the AQ's or others in Canucks organization. so maybe that's worth something too

On 8/28/2021 at 1:11 PM, Locke Lamora said:

Actually, negative or not, WHEN the Canucks are really good again, fans will glob onto ANY Canucks coverage and discussion.

• 1 year later...

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but bye bye Funny 1040

shocked it took this long....

Employees were also informed that Winnipeg’s Funny 1290, Calgary’s Funny 1060, Edmonton’s TSN 1260 Radio, Vancouver’s BNN Bloomberg Radio 1410 and Funny 1040, along with London’s NewsTalk 1290 would shutter.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, rychicken said:

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but bye bye Funny 1040

shocked it took this long....

Employees were also informed that Winnipeg’s Funny 1290, Calgary’s Funny 1060, Edmonton’s TSN 1260 Radio, Vancouver’s BNN Bloomberg Radio 1410 and Funny 1040, along with London’s NewsTalk 1290 would shutter.

https://dailyhive.com/canada/bell-media-slashes-jobs-closes-radio-stations-canada

"

Bell Media is cutting 1,300 job positions and closing or selling nine of its radio stations across Canada.

Employees were informed this morning of the layoffs and closures. The layoffs include a 6% cut at Bell Media, which includes CTV, specialty TV channels, radio stations and production studios.

........................"