The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Career Goals - What are yours?

Mainly Mattias

If you are lucky enough to find something you love go for it with everything you have. If you never figure it out don’t stress about it. I don’t believe many of us have the good fortune to have a career that is totally fulfilling. I had a job that I liked (didn’t love) for forty years and was able to retire early two years ago. For those of you looking forward to retirement...it’s fantastic! 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

On 2/10/2021 at 7:50 PM, Violator said:

Trying to finish off my apprenticeship. Then hopefully go down another road tired of being cold hopefully I can start getting into design.

Sounds like construction?

Architectural design is so fun, and you’ll be miles ahead of everyone else based on your real world experience.

41 minutes ago, nzan said:

Nice.

Seems like there’s lots of opportunity at least in structural and mechanical. Maybe marine too I just don’t have any knowledge of that world

I wanna build boats more than anything.Think I could be alot of trial and errors.

• Like 2

My goal has always been teaching, which I’ve been fortunate to be able to do over the last decade - but I actually transitioned into leadership positions in the last few years along with completing my Masters.

Combine those experiences with living overseas,  and pre-covid, traveling, and I’ve been able to accomplish a lot of my “career goals”. I’m constantly exploring new areas of teaching and learning, and at some point will want to transition back home to BC/Canada.

• Like 1

For me it’s difficult I am sole breadwinner managed to jump out of hospitality this year on my own terms (worked at head office of one of uk and Ireland’s biggest restaurant group) I work in data and have been a CRM/Data analyst and am now a BA at a multinational. However i fell into the data world and picked things up as I went and prior to this I had a plan but when the data stuff came along I switched the the mindset of see where it takes me. 

I personally think I have hit a wall, it’s not a natural job something I’m okay at (although my standards for myself may be to high as people always seem happy with my work) but it’s been 6-7 years down this path and I’m kinda stuck. Cannot afford to drop wage to go do something else or retrain (about 2 years ago I might have been able to as my salary was in line with other fields but the last couple of jumps have me higher than most other areas I’m skilled in or would want to work in) 

because I’m sole breadwinner any change I make impacts everyone, rather than just a smaller change in a two income households.

in regards to setting goals I’m having to use my current role to scope out new areas and being a BA means that while the day to day data work is not longer being done by me I can get stuck in projects more. I’m hoping that this opens up new doors in my current place of employment to do a role that i wouldn’t get elsewhere, build thr experience to then go build on that.

for the OP I would say goal setting is important but remember that sometimes the journey is also important and don’t close yourself off from an opportunity because it doesn’t directly fit with your goals, evaluate them all and sometimes take the leap 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/10/2021 at 1:02 AM, -AJ- said:

I'd love to become a teacher or instructor at some point because I've enjoyed teaching/tutoring so much in the times I've gotten a chance to do so. My goal now is to become an accounting instructor, but the education and experience requirements make it seem so unbelievably far away. It's more a long-term goal really that I'll keep in mind if things go that way. Being an accountant is fine and all, but teaching is more something I'm actually passionate about.

having been down the teaching path, i say go for it and you'll find you'll rack up the education/experience you need in no time! personally, i found that i was a bit disheartened by the politics within post-secondary teaching as well as the ethics of some students. my one on one time with students was much more fulfilling than a classroom setting. still was a blast though!

On 2/10/2021 at 7:40 AM, ken kaniff said:

I am 26 and quit my job last year to pursue my dream of firefighting. Super nervous but you only get one shot at life so got to risk it for the biscuit.

had a friend who kept on trying and trying and trying and trying and trying for years and finally he got accepted and he absolutely LOVES being a firefighter. (he's got around 2 decades on you) hopefully you get success quickly but it sounds like it's worth more than one shot if it's a miss the first time.

• Thanks 2

On 2/12/2021 at 3:43 AM, UKNuck96 said:

For me it’s difficult I am sole breadwinner managed to jump out of hospitality this year on my own terms (worked at head office of one of uk and Ireland’s biggest restaurant group) I work in data and have been a CRM/Data analyst and am now a BA at a multinational. However i fell into the data world and picked things up as I went and prior to this I had a plan but when the data stuff came along I switched the the mindset of see where it takes me. 

I personally think I have hit a wall, it’s not a natural job something I’m okay at (although my standards for myself may be to high as people always seem happy with my work) but it’s been 6-7 years down this path and I’m kinda stuck. Cannot afford to drop wage to go do something else or retrain (about 2 years ago I might have been able to as my salary was in line with other fields but the last couple of jumps have me higher than most other areas I’m skilled in or would want to work in) 

because I’m sole breadwinner any change I make impacts everyone, rather than just a smaller change in a two income households.

in regards to setting goals I’m having to use my current role to scope out new areas and being a BA means that while the day to day data work is not longer being done by me I can get stuck in projects more. I’m hoping that this opens up new doors in my current place of employment to do a role that i wouldn’t get elsewhere, build thr experience to then go build on that.

for the OP I would say goal setting is important but remember that sometimes the journey is also important and don’t close yourself off from an opportunity because it doesn’t directly fit with your goals, evaluate them all and sometimes take the leap 

BAing does give good $$. Next step would be Product manager/director unless you did want to go more of the PM route. Still plenty of roles to go after BAing. although yes, it certainly is harder when you're the sole breadwinner to make drastic changes.

thanks for the advice. will try to think about related areas. my role is hard to scope new areas though because it's kind of a made up, we don't know what to call you kind of role. and i hear you on the journey being important. i've leapt in many different directions already. luckily have had the freedom to take those risks. all different roles/industries, different skillsets, with substantial time invested in each so recruiters don't quite know what to make of me

• 7 months later...