The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Calgary Lames | February 17, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN1, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 minutes ago, GetFocht said:

Unpopular Opinion:

I like Tkachuk and wish Benning had drafted him. He would look great in a Canucks jersey. I don't like a lot of his antics but he is a complete hockey player.

I'm sure if you went back you'd be in the majority of posters that would have taken him over OJ.    With OJ playing in a more important position,  and with no real need for MT and his cap hit in the lineup right now maybe it will still work out alright.    And i'm sure IF we drafted him, we'd be mostly happy to have someone willing to park themselves infront of the net and create havoc.   Burrows and Kesler were no angels either.    Fans loved them.  

• Like 3
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I'm sure if you went back you'd be in the majority of posters that would have taken him over OJ.    With OJ playing in a more important position,  and with no real need for MT and his cap hit in the lineup right now maybe it will still work out alright.    And i'm sure IF we drafted him, we'd be mostly happy to have someone willing to park themselves infront of the net and create havoc.   Burrows and Kesler were no angels either.    Fans loved them.  

Truth has been spoken. But... if Juolevi turns into a defensive force then I’ll be happy with the pick. He seems to be holding himself together out there. Just need him to turn into a Chris Tanev 

• Vintage 4

3 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I'll even go one step further and say I would like his antics if he was on our team.

The only thing missing from MT's game is fighting ability.   If he was like his Dad (who could still whip both his boys at once in the ring) and could actually back his antics up well - like his Dad could, he'd be such an awful guy to play against.   Cocky, arragont, smug, bully.   Teams would have to start loading up on Gudbranson types in his division.   As for now he's got Lucic.   He reminds me of that pain in the ass kid in your group (usually a kid brother of one of your buddies), who you didn't mind having around because he was hilarious - but would always poke and provoke at the other groups biggest guy, and then run for the hills when the fighting started.  

Marchand comparisons have come in - could be pretty fair.    Wonder how Marchand is doing now that Chara is gone, Boychuk and others ..

Also on fat Keith.   When we played WNP he'd never fight our best fighters ... seemed like Murzyn was his favourite dancing partner (another detestable virtue this family seems to have), not even Diduck.. one game i think he fought him three times and beat him pretty good each time.   Just wanted Odjick to destroy him, or even Momesso get a turn.  One game we had over 200pm, and this was after bench clearing brawls were banned.    Seeing his son play gets my blood up a little.   

• Cheers 1

Just now, Wayne Glensky said:

Truth has been spoken. But... if Juolevi turns into a defensive force then I’ll be happy with the pick. He seems to be holding himself together out there. Just need him to turn into a Chris Tanev 

Tanev is a good comparable for his ceiling quite likely - with more offense.  If that happens JB is an autistic genuis.  Drafting MT (who if i re-call was a GPG player during his calder cup run his draft year - and not expected to be there at 5, ranked higher then PLD by most) and playing him right away for sure would have made an impact in our standings.  Which could mean we don't have QHs, Podz, Hoglander etc ... for sure all will be forgiven if that happens.   So far, so good.   OJ and Myers have been solid for sure. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, GetFocht said:

Unpopular Opinion:

I like Tkachuk and wish Benning had drafted him. He would look great in a Canucks jersey. I don't like a lot of his antics but he is a complete hockey player.

Now don't you go soft on us. Give Benning credit for going after not only skilled guys but classy character guys...like Bo, Brock, Petey..et al. Juolevi fits in that mold but not Upchuk. He's the wrong type of character. Seems to me the type that could disrupt and divide a locker room.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, IBatch said:

Tanev is a good comparable for his ceiling quite likely - with more offense.  If that happens JB is an autistic genuis.  Drafting MT (who if i re-call was a GPG player during his calder cup run his draft year - and not expected to be there at 5, ranked higher then PLD by most) and playing him right away for sure would have made an impact in our standings.  Which could mean we don't have QHs, Podz, Hoglander etc ... for sure all will be forgiven if that happens.   So far, so good.   OJ and Myers have been solid for sure. 

Even tho Myers can be a &^@#ing knob, he has paired well with Juolevi I agree. 

16 minutes ago, IBatch said:

That’s true - if you went back to all the pre-draft discussion almost everyone wanted Tkachuk (though some wanted Puljujarvi).

Then as soon as Juolevi was chosen almost everyone got on board in approval - confident that it was a great, ballsy pick.

Then when he didn’t turn into an overnight sensation they all said they never liked the pick, it was a waste, Benning’s an idiot etc

And with a bit more patience I think it’ll finally show itself to be a fine pick.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, nzan said:

That’s true - if you went back to all the pre-draft discussion almost everyone wanted Tkachuk (though some wanted Puljujarvi).

Then as soon as Juolevi was chosen almost everyone got on board in approval - confident that it was a great, ballsy pick.

Then when he didn’t turn into an overnight sensation they all said they never liked the pick, it was a waste, Benning’s an idiot etc

And with a bit more patience I think it’ll finally show itself to be a fine pick.

MT wasn't my guy, was hoping for PLD, but didn't think we'd get MT either so never considered him much ... was stoked when he dropped on our lap - OJ was around 9-15 on most lists, still a great prospect but for sure not the BPA at 5 scouting wise.   One thing this rebuild has brought home to me is a reminder that things rarely go like the lists available (THN and Internatinal Scouting Services for me at least set a good baseline, guys like McKenzie have their own opinion but for sure don't have the time to do nothing but research on the actual scouts work - THN takes the average of 10 highly respected NHL scouts which is why i like them for a baseline) - and that in the past a lot of off board picks have gone both terribly and extremely well.   This was a slightly off board pick.   Detroit taking Seider was way way more off board then OJ.   18 or so picks off board.    

Im happy with JB drafting, it's better then average compared to his ADP - or average draft position.   Having a 1-3 top group of 21 and unders, while drafting an average of 8-9 during that span .... is awesome for us.   Needs to keep it up for sure.  As long as we have 1-2 rookies per year coming in and earning any roster spot in a good way, our future should be very bright. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, stawns said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/sportsnets-final-top-30-2016-nhl-draft-prospects/

OJ went right around where projected. I didn't want MT, but I was positive JB was going to take him and I'm not the least bit upset that he passed.  

Like you, I was hoping for PLD

Most lists means exactly that  - THN # 9,  International Scouting Services had him at 11, behind Chychrun 8,  Sergachev 10... looks like they had that right so far ..  Button also had him at 9...Dobber Prospects 11... TSN also had OJ at 6... also the way JB was talking pre-draft i'm certain he also wanted PLD - was describing him as exactly what he was looking for ... figure OJ was their next best pick.   He can still work out - looks good so far...

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Why would anyone wear work boots if you don't need them for - well work?  They aren't that comfortable, no matter the insoles, after a few weeks of 10 hour days actually working in them i don't think anyone would be that interested in putting them on after hours.    Wearing heavy work boots from the late 80's until the late 2000's, i don't remember seeing anyone wearing them for fun... but maybe they did and i just thought they were going to work lol.     Still have a few pairs, built a deck in my crocs a few years ago,  - only time i put them on is if i really should - usually using the  chainsaw.   To me at least, it's like wearing dress shoes on the beach.   Don't see the point.  

You slept through the 90's

Timberlands were massive in the Hiphop scene. 

https://www.highsnobiety.com/p/timberland-boots-hip-hop/

17 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

You slept through the 90's

Timberlands were massive in the Hiphop scene. 

https://www.highsnobiety.com/p/timberland-boots-hip-hop/

More like i was too busy working to notice or even care about this sort of thing.   Didn't even know Radiohead was that popular until the late 90's...missed the grunge scene, Pearl Jam too.   Worth it though in the end.   Enjoying my crocs now, and barefoot most of the summer.   To me this isn't much different then accountants buying a harley and meeting up with their buddies at Tim's on the weekends during the summer.   Doesn't make you Sons of Anarchy but sure it makes you feel like cool.   Work boots aren't cool, they serve a purpose. Missed the memo your right.   That said - it's cool - it takes a village - whatever floats your boat. 

Edited by IBatch

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Fair enough. But at least they weren't complete scum like Tkapuke, who intentionally tries to injure, ie; Shiefele. He's a sneaky piece of crap who's always throwing his skates around with no regard to anyone's safety, slew footing Juolevi, etc. There's a major difference between being a $h!t disturber and being an absolute, classless piece of trash. Glad we passed. Besides, Juolevi is turning into a fantastic defenseman.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

More like i was too busy working to notice or even care about this sort of thing.   Didn't even know Radiohead was that popular until the late 90's...miss the grunge scene too.   Worth it though in the end.   Enjoying my crocs now, and barefoot most of the summer.   To me this isn't much different then accountants buying a harley and meeting up with their buddies at Tim's on the weekends during the summer.   Doesn't make you Sons of Anarchy but sure it makes you feel like cool.   Work boots aren't cool, they serve a purpose. Missed the memo your right. 

Cool, you're into Post Malone.

:P

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

If Tkachuck was on this team he'd spend most of his time suspended or in the box.  He wouldn't be an asset, he'd be a liability.

Nope/pass.  He isn't tough, he's dirty...I want toughness.

Thought I was gonna puke everywhere when I saw that Tkachuk love. Gross

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

JB is pressuring TG to play him, just like he forces TG to play Erikkson in order to justify the ridiculous contacts he gave out to them - so he doesn't look like a Jack-Ass Manager.

Pretty Obvious !

actually, I think the main reason to play Gauds, Virtanen and Eriksson is to show to other teams that they CAN play still. No one is going to trade for a player that only sits in the pressbox. 

• Cheers 1