The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Hughes Bros.

Bit of fun but could actually work out really well for the Canucks and we're in prime position for it - let's get all the Hughes brothers together.

Jack Hughes of course if the tricky one, he's currently 19 and almost scoring at a point-per-game pace with New Jersey. They're all about the rebuild of course so what do we have that we could offer NJD for Hughes?

TO NJD: Pettersson + 2nd round pick

TO VAN: Jack Hughes

Throw in the 2nd just because Petey's a bit older and Jack's potential is unknown at the moment whereas Petey has sputtered a bit this season.

1st ROUND DRAFT 2021: Luke Hughes 

We're probably going to have a top-5, if not top-3 pick going into this draft so Luke Hughes is very draft-able.

This isn't just for the sake of bringing brothers together. We end up with the best puck moving defenceman in Quinn, a very solid two-way defender in Luke Hughes and one of the best future centers in Jack Hughes. Until Jack is really ready defensively to matchup against top lines, we'd play Bo as our top line center but I think come next season Jack is going to be a point-per-game star in the NHL.

Start of next season:

Miller - J. Hughes - Boeser

Podz - Horvat - Hoglander

Q. Hughes - Schmidt

Juolevi - Myers

L. Hughes - Hamonic

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 2

52 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

What if New Jersey inquires about wanting to get the Hughes together?

What would you say or want in return?

1st unprotected, Ty Smith, Nolan Foote, Damon Severson and Nick Merkley. Basically they would have to overpay to get him. We would have to send them salary as well to work cap wise so there could be a few choices to to NJ with Quinn.

Edited by JAVA-1

1 hour ago, ba;;isticsports said:

If it were this year and they wanted Quinn

NJD gets: Quinn, Loui, Roussel

VAN gets: 1st this year unprotected, 1st next year, a 2nd, Severson, Ty Smith, Merkley, Foote + future considerations

basically if you want the only "franchise" dman we've ever had then you're gonna have to give us your entire future LOL

5 hours ago, goog16 said:

We could wait till Jack becomes a free agent and signs here to play with his brother...

If that’s the way the brothers want to go then Quinn is the one who could reach free agency first.  He could sign there rather than waiting for Jack to hit free agency in NJ

Edited by qwijibo

Drafting Luke this year would be great if it can happen.  Jack I  would just wait for UFA status to see if he wants to come then.

Future left D of Quinn, Luke, Juolevi and Rathbone.  That's pretty cool.

Right D need to take care of our end and punish people.  Tryamkin maybe Woo and possibly vets Myers and Schmidt.  

That's got a lot of potential.

Does Luke have any size, grit (does playing college level hockey make you tough?), or speed.  We have too many players already that aren't fast enough, easy to knock off the puck and head for the hills first sight of blood.

On 2/27/2021 at 12:00 PM, Trollup5 said:

I have been toying with the idea of trading Hughes to New Jersey all season.

Ty Smith and a 1st is fair market value.

With Smith we get a great two way defender that can still quarterback the powerplay.

Throw Nolan Foote into that deal and I am okay with it.  Unless the Canucks can gain some tough, gritty and speedy forwards with some size and scoring skill Hughes will always get manhandled in the corners.  Like Petey he has relied on the eyes in the back of his head to keep him from getting pasted to the end boards.

On 2/27/2021 at 5:57 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Bit of fun but could actually work out really well for the Canucks and we're in prime position for it - let's get all the Hughes brothers together.

Jack Hughes of course if the tricky one, he's currently 19 and almost scoring at a point-per-game pace with New Jersey. They're all about the rebuild of course so what do we have that we could offer NJD for Hughes?

TO NJD: Pettersson + 2nd round pick

TO VAN: Jack Hughes

Throw in the 2nd just because Petey's a bit older and Jack's potential is unknown at the moment whereas Petey has sputtered a bit this season.

1st ROUND DRAFT 2021: Luke Hughes 

We're probably going to have a top-5, if not top-3 pick going into this draft so Luke Hughes is very draft-able.

This isn't just for the sake of bringing brothers together. We end up with the best puck moving defenceman in Quinn, a very solid two-way defender in Luke Hughes and one of the best future centers in Jack Hughes. Until Jack is really ready defensively to matchup against top lines, we'd play Bo as our top line center but I think come next season Jack is going to be a point-per-game star in the NHL.

Start of next season:

Miller - J. Hughes - Boeser

Podz - Horvat - Hoglander

Q. Hughes - Schmidt

Juolevi - Myers

L. Hughes - Hamonic

On 2/27/2021 at 8:38 AM, Tyndall2 said:

We need speed, size and grit.

Wrong set of brothers then:

58b21a30bcc96.image.jpg?crop=1097,468,16

regards,  G.

• Thanks 1

On 2/27/2021 at 11:44 AM, ba;;isticsports said:

Ty Smith plus a first plus something else...i'd for sure consider it.   

WTF?   Why do we need to have more Hughes or another brother duo?   I don't want one personally.   Jack Hughes is a smug little guy, both  Staals said Marc was going to be the best of the bunch aside from getting ultra rich because of the big brother in the group - how did they do?  And CAR did zero with yep TWO Staals right?   For sure the Sedins are special - because they are twins and played together their entire life.   The Hull and Richard brothers were special too.   The Sutters...well any one of them have more grit then all three Hughes brothers combined.   

The only way i'd welcome lanky "uncle gene " Luke Hughes to the team is if he's the BPA at the draft, and to me at least i'm not so sure he's nearly as good as his prospect ranking - because i've seen the same story a couple times already.   For sure at least two D's are better, i suspect more are too.  Marc Staal was also coveted after all.  Who knows.   If QHs was 6'1" and 172lbs would he be much better?  lol.   I don't know.   Uncle sized QHs.   Skinny and not that tall really.  Jack Hughes ... I think we have the best Hughes brother already.    Hard pass for me at least / and i'd trade QHs to NJ if the price was right..

Edit:  Rant over.   If Luke Hughes is drafted will welcome him with open arms - that said i'm not at all interested in creating a team with all the Hughes brothers unless the price is just too good not to go with.  

Edited by IBatch