The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Winnterpeg Jets | March 2, 2021 | 5 p.m. PT | SNP, TVAS

Rate this topic

-SN-

@bad alice french

KHL

vs 

NHL

He barely broke our squad while he was here. Basically forced himself onto the team by way of his agent notifying management that he will not report to the minors. Now you’re suggesting that playing 3 to 4 years in a league that might be slightly superior to the AHL suggests that he can come back to this league and contribute as a top 4 defender. I don’t see that as being a realistic expectation.

what does the KHL vs NHL have to do with you claim that the NHL has evolved so rapidly in the past few years (as if Tryamkin would somehow have become obsolete in the meantime?)

Barely broke our squad is a nonsense narrative - he played 66 games, just under 17 minutes/night -  as already pointed out, was held back primarily by his conditioning.

An actual sample - at age 22 - to assess.  Anyone that watched that season ought to have an idea of his capabilities.

the continued story -  about top 4 'expectation' -  is straw.   Wanting to see a player return - to see what they'd be capable of - is not 'expectation'. 

If anything you're the one expressing 'expectations' = negative expectations - based on...spin.   The KHL vs AHL sidetrack is irrelevent - Tryamkin has never played a game in the AHL - but a lot of top AHL defensemen wind up playing in the NHL, so not sure there's any logic to bite into there.

16 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Agreed.   Personally i like big punishing D's from top to bottom - so i'm not too excited about Rathbone but the league is changing so maybe it will work.   In a different thread Deb i think  posted a picture of Lumme, Gino, Odjick  Captain Kirk, Ronning etc - somewhat  recent photo in the Skate uni's...When all your D is 6'2-6"3 and filled out... not that easy to battle infront of your own net.  Add Diduck (a warrior in his own right), Brown, Hedican... well not pint sized right?  Lumme looks to have shrunk the least lol... As of now only Myers and Edler really do a good job infront of our own net.  Hamonic maybe he will too - a little early to tell but he looks to have the chops too.   OJ has some size so not concerned about him.   A sub six foot d better have a lot to offer is all i'm saying.   Stecher did - and still does, but i'm not sure we can expect OJ to replace Edler, QHs to move up, and Rathbone (stecher 2.0?) to be an elite left side either.   For sure we'd need to muscle up the R side - Schmidt is at best average size, Myers obviously is giant sized, Tree is monster sized - maybe that could work who knows.   That said id take a mobile large overall D over a mix,  if Tree comes back and is like Mitchell then for sure - give Rathbone a chance.   To me he's trade bait.  The left side is deep. 

I'm on the same page as far as size goes, but I think I'm a bit more receptive to a mix? That being said, if you've got six guys playing I think at least four of em should have some good size to em. I'm excited for Rathbone as he looks like he could be another PMD, and I'm of the opinion that you need a couple of those mixed in to have success nowadays. Obviously we'll need to see how his season in Utica goes, but as of right now he's off to a great start during his first taste of the pros. He's not someone I'd be inclined to trade.

LD is deep right now, but sooner or later Edler will retire. As of right now we're looking at Edler, Hughes, and one of Juolevi/Benn on the left side. Schmidt can play his off side, so I look at him more as an RD. Benn can too, but he doesn't play a top four role like Schmidt. Rathbone looks to be our most promising LD prospect right now, but I consider Juolevi pretty much graduated at this point. I don't see how he's not a regular next season. 

Tram coming back could change things, but until he's actually signed I'm skeptical. 

14 minutes ago, IBatch said:

To me Myers IS the heir apparent to Edler veteran presence and having two of them can't hurt.   And OJ is Tanev - they just switched sides.    We for sure - will have a huge hole if he's picked up. 

I could see it, Myers is still young enough that we can probably expect solid play over the duration of his contract. I kinda see Hamonic as maybe stepping into Tanev's shoes, as least temporarily. Juolevi could get there, but I think he'll bring more than Tanev did offensively. I don't expect him to be that player as a sophomore though. 

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Including the score!

Kick their butts!

For me at least - EDM, CAL and thankfully since they got their franchise back, WNP will always be Kick their butts!  vibe.   Still think our highest penalized game was against them - and one of the most all-time.   Best part of this year for me at least - is bringing some hate back into some older rivalries and they for sure count as one ... Smythe division opponent.  

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I could see it, Myers is still young enough that we can probably expect solid play over the duration of his contract. I kinda see Hamonic as maybe stepping into Tanev's shoes, as least temporarily. Juolevi could get there, but I think he'll bring more than Tanev did offensively. I don't expect him to be that player as a sophomore though. 

Me neither - both guys have that vibe though.  And you can't have too many of them - especially when you have a talent like QHs in your pocket.   For me at least - if we had QHs and removed the bottom guy from either the 94 or the 2011 team - it would have won us the cup.   Both teams had very well balanced D's, nothing special but a lot of very good/solid. 

• Huggy Bear 1

15 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Me neither - both guys have that vibe though.  And you can't have too many of them - especially when you have a talent like QHs in your pocket.   For me at least - if we had QHs and removed the bottom guy from either the 94 or the 2011 team - it would have won us the cup.   Both teams had very well balanced D's, nothing special but a lot of very good/solid. 

He's definitely a gamebreaking piece, we're lucky to have him. Put him in for Ballard and that Boston series likely doesn't go seven games. 

I'm a fan of balanced D, everyone wants to have that stud #1 like a Pietrangelo, Pronger, or Hedman but those players are unicorns. Even guys like Karlsson and Doughty don't come along often. Every team doesn't have a true #1 either, there's less than thirty of those players in the league at any given time imo. Building a balanced D core is much more realistic for most teams, you build that up and hope you come across a #1 or a gamebreaking guy like Hughes, Makar, or McAvoy. 

I'm looking forward to seeing what Juolevi becomes, he's so slick out there. Reminds me of the Tanev KB3 raved about after his playoff debut. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That would be great. Build off of the confidence that the last game gave them. Keep the foot on the pedal and only take it off to crush the Jets collective windpipe when they try to claw their way back into the game. 

The Canucks have nothing to fear with the Jets from a physical perspective. Byfulgien is cleansing himself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka, Myers is a Canuck, and Trouba is a Ranger (and and injured one at that). In fact, the Canucks have a more physically imposing defense with the aforementioned Myers, Benn, Hamonic, Edler, and Schmidt. 

I hope the team shows a renewed and invigorated sense of purpose for themselves, first and foremost. For me, the dip in performance has been hard to take because the team is capable of much better than they're showing. The chemistry and heart of the team has been inconsistent, and when that's off, all the skill in the world won't save it. 

end rant...or whatever those three paragraphs above are........:lol:

That would be great but I'm not holding breath...they still seem mentally fragile....like they will collapse after a couple of bad goals....but i do hope that they finish strong and end on a positive note...as it is very unlikely they will make the playoffs

7 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Ottawa, Jan 27th/28th

Geez...my short term mem is gone....:P...but it was against the Sens....so it wasn't that memorable...:P....and I don't think the SENS would be that easy to beat now...

Edited by philtbc829

3 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

Can we please have the facepalm as a react emoji?

I can't keep up with all the new emojis. I've tried but I just don't know what they mean. 

I miss the old system with 'like' 'dislike.' It was a simpler time

I never know who I'm fighting with anymore :emot-parrot:(not sure if I got this one right...)

51 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Agreed.   Personally i like big punishing D's from top to bottom - so i'm not too excited about Rathbone but the league is changing so maybe it will work.   In a different thread Deb i think  posted a picture of Lumme, Gino, Odjick  Captain Kirk, Ronning etc - somewhat  recent photo in the Skate uni's...When all your D is 6'2-6"3 and filled out... not that easy to battle infront of your own net.  Add Diduck (a warrior in his own right), Brown, Hedican... well not pint sized right?  Lumme looks to have shrunk the least lol... As of now only Myers and Edler really do a good job infront of our own net.  Hamonic maybe he will too - a little early to tell but he looks to have the chops too.   OJ has some size so not concerned about him.   A sub six foot d better have a lot to offer is all i'm saying.   Stecher did - and still does, but i'm not sure we can expect OJ to replace Edler, QHs to move up, and Rathbone (stecher 2.0?) to be an elite left side either.   For sure we'd need to muscle up the R side - Schmidt is at best average size, Myers obviously is giant sized, Tree is monster sized - maybe that could work who knows.   That said id take a mobile large overall D over a mix,  if Tree comes back and is like Mitchell then for sure - give Rathbone a chance.   To me he's trade bait.  The left side is deep. 

Rathbone may not be Edler or Myers, but he's not Stetcher either:  5'11, 190 lbs and has a physical edge to his game.  Cull is raving about how well he's adapting to the AHL and certainly the numbers are backing that up.  For sure he won't be a crease-clearing monster but if he learns to play solid D and hits periodically to go along with his mobility, puck moving and offense, he'll be a great player for us.  I'd pump the brakes and give all of our young LD a good long look in the NHL before thinking about trades.  A left side with Hughes, Rathbone and Juolevi could be close to what's shaping up in Colorado.  

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

He's definitely a gamebreaking piece, we're lucky to have him. Put him in for Ballard and that Boston series likely doesn't go seven games. 

I'm a fan of balanced D, everyone wants to have that stud #1 like a Pietrangelo, Pronger, or Hedman but those players are unicorns. Even guys like Karlsson and Doughty don't come along often. Every team doesn't have a true #1 either, there's less than thirty of those players in the league at any given time imo. Building a balanced D core is much more realistic for most teams, you build that up and hope you come across a #1 or a gamebreaking guy like Hughes, Makar, or McAvoy. 

I'm looking forward to seeing what Juolevi becomes, he's so slick out there. Reminds me of the Tanev KB3 raved about after his playoff debut. 

Karlsson before Cooke cut his achilles' tendon was a different level unicorn... Doughty to me at least, is overrated, think Weber is a better d, was just lucky to be in the right place at the right time - especially at the olympics.   QHs is for sure a unicorn right now.   Rare.  Like super rare.   Agree Pronger and Hedman are what every team wants - but don't think AP is that special - just the most special of the last class of UFAs and we for sure dodged a bullet there (if he was interested) - would have him inbetween the Phanuef and Weber class.  Speaking of Weber (who in my opinion is the Brad Park of his era plus plus), if he had scored those two goals instead of Doughty in 2014 (7 years ago ..: wow) which for sure he could have easily done, and do you think he'd have even one Norris?   I don't. 

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Nice, gotta keep some semblance of a rotation to keep guys fresh and sharp. I understand why some would advocate for the hot hand, but the reality is we're not going to have a chance at the playoffs if both goaltenders aren't getting games and playing well. Practice is one thing, but guys need reps. 

I don't know whether to admire your optimism or pity your delusion

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, AllWeatherFan said:

I can't keep up with all the new emojis. I've tried but I just don't know what they mean. 

I miss the old system with 'like' 'dislike.' It was a simpler time

I never know who I'm fighting with anymore :emot-parrot:(not sure if I got this one right...)

Ya too many emojis options right now. Definitely needs to be trimmed down.  Upvote HAHA hydration plus add a negative feeling emoji is all we need

• Cheers 1