The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Winnterpeg Jets | March 2, 2021 | 5 p.m. PT | SNP, TVAS

Rate this topic

-SN-

20 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Looks like Tram is ramping up his play to come to North America.  Let's hope he finally comes back. He is having a monster year IMO. 

We could use more of this in our lineup as well as everything else he brings. 

So that is where Pedan ended up. 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

Wait a second everyone, are we not....

firing the entire coaching staff?

Fire Benning?

dump for pics, Edler, Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Ben? who did I miss?

trade Jake ASAP?

Play the rookies?

Amazing how we win a game and all the doom and gloom, negativity and blame goes away, hahahahaha

Win as a team, lose as a team

Go Canucks Go

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Fire Benning?

trade Jake ASAP?

Play the rookies?

Amazing how we win a game and all the doom and gloom, negativity and blame goes away, hahahahaha

Go Canucks Go

We lose together, get it right. :metal:

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Looks like they played with an extra 5-10% effort last night. Bugs me that they waited this long.

I think the Canucks need a new captain, Bo is inviable most of the time

I think that Bo is a viable captain.  Can't pin all the loses on him.  It's a team thing.

Bo Canucks Bo!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Fire Benning?

trade Jake ASAP?

Play the rookies?

Go Canucks Go

It's more in the manner we lost some games (blown leads and or failing to play for 60 minutes).  It's another to lose games to a better team, it's another not to even put up a fight.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Fire Benning?

trade Jake ASAP?

Play the rookies?

Go Canucks Go

I'm still onboard with the changes needed. It was just 1 win. But if they win tonight, then maybe they'll be onto something. 

• Sad 1
  • Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Fire Benning?

trade Jake ASAP?

Play the rookies?

Go Canucks Go

It only took you this long to realize that fans are happy when we win? lol

FYI - We still need to fire (some of) the coaching staff, fire Benning, dump the vets for picks and trade Jake ASAP. ;)

Edited by Deets
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, garthsbutcher said:

Why not ride the hot hand?

Yeah, I honestly don’t understand this move? Is the mindset we can’t tire a guy out? If so that’s soft. We desperately need the win and we are going with the lesser of two goalies at the moment. I mean travel has been a lot easier this year with staying in the same city and they’re professional athletes in top physical condition. You should be able to play back-to-back. This is the wrong move in my opinion but we will see, I guess.

Edited by linden17
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Let’s get another one and start putting together some wins!

0778B604-28B3-4A20-9430-B0EDCC5E5A4D.gif.7da5c0f10c1225bb82e3bcd92b3ebec4.gif

Go Canucks Go!!! :towel:

(Bonus content: here’s a long, rambling draft of a post I’d started writing for the other thread.)

Reveal hidden contents

Here’s hoping last night’s win isn’t just a blip, but the springboard that leads to this team finally having a sustained period of solid play, combined with favourable puck luck.

We should, at some point, start stringing together some better results. The team process has been better, in general, over that past month or so. Maybe not consistently, but on average, the team has played better than the results have shown.

And we did have many issues affecting us that should have eventually resolved, with time. The adjustment to the departing players and leadership/friendship void that resulted. The incoming new players and building familiarity with the team. Our young stars just having some awful, and uncharacteristic, struggles early on. The whole team not hitting the ground running, when it came to commitment to team defence, and implementing Green’s systems. Arguably the worst schedule of any NHL team, to start the season, and the fatigue issues that resulted, coupled and compounded with the lack of time for training/practice and rest/time off. And just some awful, ugly, baffling, and inexplicably poor puck luck, while other teams (and some former Canucks) seemed to play with horseshoes up their *****, whenever they faced us. The hockey gods really seemed to hate us, for much of the year, up until to this point.

All these issues and more, hitting in combination, and seeming to feed off each other, making the whole problem even greater than the sum of its parts.

So, yeah, hopefully better days are ahead.

However, there’s no question that this team needs improvement, starting with the roster itself (which was always the main limiting factor). And there have been elements of this coaching staff that have been exposed as problematic and deficient.

Even if the hockey gods decide to bless us, from here on out, and we start to look like a good team through the second half of the season, it’s likely masking some of the structural issues with this hockey club, which really need to be addressed.

We were fortunate last year. Many elements of the roster greatly outperformed expectations and statistics, from the goaltending, to the second unit PP, to some of the individual skaters producing far greater totals than the fancy stats said they should. But this team was always poised for regression. It just hit far harder than anyone could have predicted, due to the numerous factors discussed earlier in this post.

So, if we’ve somehow steered out of the rut, and gotten back on track, what’s in store for the remainder of this season? Fortunately, we play in what’s probably the weakest division in the league, and we’re not yet eliminated from the playoffs. It’s still possible to string together enough wins to make it back to a bubble playoff team (although it would be much easier in an 82 game season—with this shortened schedule, we could simply run out of time, even if we start stringing together wins and go on a bit of a run). 

But hopefully, even if we don’t make it back to the playoffs, we can play well enough from here on out, so the players can feel good about themselves, and regain some of their pride and swagger. This season can still be a good learning experience, and one of coming together and overcoming adversity, which will only help our young players on their career journeys, and also help knit even tighter bonds between our players. 

And hopefully this season also forces management (and ownership) to make an honest assessment of where this team is, and what needs to be done, to improve this roster. We were a bubble team in 2019-20, and had a scrappy little Cinderella playoff run, but the successes last year overall were a bit of a mirage. We needed so many things to go right for us, and against the odds, for this team to look like it was anything close to an up and coming contender.

There’s still a lot of work to be done. And, if anything, the horrible results we’ve seen during the first half of this season have exposed just how fragile this team is, and how easily we can drop from a middling team, to an absolutely awful one, when things don’t go our way.

So here’s hoping we play our best hockey, and the hockey gods shine brightly on us, starting with today’s game, and continuing through the entire second half of this season.

And here’s also hoping that, even if we manage turn around the season, the lessons learned from the first half aren’t forgotten, but lights a fire under this front office, and force them to take an honest look at this roster and staff, both the good and the bad. The struggles of this season should put many of the most pressing issues facing this team into very sharp focus. And hopefully Benning will get to work (or another GM will), and start taking the steps necessary, to learn from and fix past mistakes, and make the repairs/corrections and additions to this roster, that will actually build it into a legitimate contender.

Always enjoy readying your posts, Sid.  Would be interested in reading your thoughts on what the team is lacking, front office, coaching & roster.  Cheers.