Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Toronto Maple Leaves | March 4, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP, TSN4

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Myers - much maligned on these boards - had an unreal night last night imo.

 

17 defensive zone starts (team high by a fair margin)

0 offensive zone starts.

 

1 hit, 2 blocks, an assist  - and an even 0 on the night.

Outstanding.

 

Have been singing his praises since we picked him up.   Glad a lot of posters are coming around with his play.   We need more like him, not less. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What is JB suppose to say, I pretty much did not expect too much but as expected, the media is overblowing alot of things that are done & cannot be changed.   With context, all of the decesions can be justified and with hindsight, the criticism with JB is well earned.  The team still seems to be trending to compete and hopefully, JB will not repeat the same mistakes with his signings and trades.  Preferably, JB & (especially)  Aquaman uses this season to re-assess a few things, reload for next year, stop trading picks and stop signing over 30+ vets to term (imo, most/all of our FA's should walk and give those minutes to the prospects needing experience in the NHL).  JB should stick to drafting and development cause he is good at those - as proven, with the drafting of our young core.  What the team is going through is nothing new, alot of other elite teams had a blip in there ascension to the top and also nothing new with the media gas lighting the whole thing.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, apollo said:

As for me, I like the team. 

 

Such an exciting time to be a fan... Jake is turning a corner and our team is filled with young stars who are developing and gelling as every day goes by. 

 

Playoffs or bust! 

 Not sure about playoffs because of how deepl a hole.they are in but watching OJ, Hoglander and Demko arrive has been a treat.  If Jake can somehow find his way to play consistently at the level we saw yesterday and podkolzin delivers as expected, there is much to be excited about. 

  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

 Not sure about playoffs because of how deepl a hole.they are in but watching OJ, Hoglander and Demko arrive has been a treat.  If Jake can somehow find his way to play consistently at the level we saw yesterday and podkolzin delivers as expected, there is much to be excited about. 

Yeah, only the anticipation of watching the rookie(s) or new players (Hawryluk) is what is keeping me mostly engaged this season (with the - somewhat - anxious anticipation fo the future) but I doubt Green being a lame duck coach will play these rookies.

 

With OJ, being sent to the taxi squad, seems to indicate that JB is allowing Green to ice a vet team to give him the best roster to win - imo...

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Fire Green YES. How many good coaches have we passed on to keep this guy? Keep Benning, is making the same mistakes and expecting a different result. How many years does this guy get while getting no results? Bad contracts, bad draft picks, lost draft picks, and pisses off a defenceman that should be on this roster so he goes back to his country. Talk about trading shotgun then puts him on the bench devaluing the asset to the point that he will get nothing for him just like all the other players he has let walk for nothing. Brilliant. I'm sure there are a lot of GM's in the NHL that would like this much leverage. List off the draft picks on the farm that will make this club? This forum is a study on how to overvalue just about every player that's ever become a Canuck.

 

Shotgun, is Green's example of how to ruin a players confidence. Put the player on the first to lines and let him get one shift and then demote him to the fourth line. Bench him while other players with higher salaries never get criticized. Then bounce him around from the first to the fourth during a game, limit his minutes and say he's inconsistent. Give me a name another player on the roster that gets treated like this? If you don't like him just trade him.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, nuk76 said:

Fire Green YES. How many good coaches have we passed on to keep this guy? Keep Benning, is making the same mistakes and expecting a different result. How many years does this guy get while getting no results? Bad contracts, bad draft picks, lost draft picks, and pisses off a defenceman that should be on this roster so he goes back to his country. Talk about trading shotgun then puts him on the bench devaluing the asset to the point that he will get nothing for him just like all the other players he has let walk for nothing. Brilliant. I'm sure there are a lot of GM's in the NHL that would like this much leverage. List off the draft picks on the farm that will make this club? This forum is a study on how to overvalue just about every player that's ever become a Canuck.

 

Shotgun, is Green's example of how to ruin a players confidence. Put the player on the first to lines and let him get one shift and then demote him to the fourth line. Bench him while other players with higher salaries never get criticized. Then bounce him around from the first to the fourth during a game, limit his minutes and say he's inconsistent. Give me a name another player on the roster that gets treated like this? If you don't like him just trade him.

Getting no results?? What are you talking about?  This year is the only year that has been a downtrend since Green has been coach.  We went 3 rounds into the playoffs last season.  How many teams can say that? 

 

This year has been a weird year.  I wouldn't be jumping to any rash decisions based on this year.  This will be a one off year.

  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DarthMelvin said:

I dunno...

 

He can't clear the front of the net with his size. Rarely hits..(size vs refs blah blah). 

 

I see flashes of offensive defensemen in there, but when he is on full D. he has no reflexes. He gets lost in the mayhem

 

 

Are you talking about QHs or Myers! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DarthMelvin said:

Could either in that post eh lol

 

But Myers

Won't see eye to eye on that - he's legit.  

  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Between Calgary coach firing and Walter Gretzky’s passing, Sportsnet was quick to pull any unnecessary stories about the Canucks beat down of the Leafs last night. But they do have a story about how everyone thinks Leafs coach should be Jack Adams winner. Convenient. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, nuk76 said:

Shotgun, is Green's example of how to ruin a players confidence. Put the player on the first to lines and let him get one shift and then demote him to the fourth line. Bench him while other players with higher salaries never get criticized. Then bounce him around from the first to the fourth during a game, limit his minutes and say he's inconsistent. Give me a name another player on the roster that gets treated like this? If you don't like him just trade him.

Virtanen has been on a line with Pearson and Horvat the last couple of games in case you haven't noticed. You seem to be living in the past. With that past though, it's because they've been trying to solidify his defensive game in case his offense isn't going, then he still provides value. So like last night, he was trusted to defend a lead late in the game along with his regular linemates because of this past.

 

Travis Green was once a prolific offensive junior player and started well in the NHL. He learned to reinvent his game with a more sound defensive mindset and extended his career to 970 NHL games. He has never not liked Jake. He's been trying to make him into a long term NHLer. It's on Jake to take the lessons being taught and to make something of it because the reality is he's made some mistakes that could easily have dropped him from the NHL much sooner than most coaches are patient enough for.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • RoughGame 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

Virtanen has been on a line with Pearson and Horvat the last couple of games in case you haven't noticed. You seem to be living in the past. With that past though, it's because they've been trying to solidify his defensive game in case his offense isn't going, then he still provides value. So like last night, he was trusted to defend a lead late in the game along with his regular linemates because of this past.

 

Travis Green was once a prolific offensive junior player and started well in the NHL. He learned to reinvent his game with a more sound defensive mindset and extended his career to 970 NHL games. He has never not liked Jake. He's been trying to make him into a long term NHLer. It's on Jake to take the lessons being taught and to make something of it because the reality is he's made some mistakes that could easily have dropped him from the NHL much sooner than most coaches are patient enough for.

I've thought about this too a couple of times.  Nobody is privy about what happens behind closed doors but publicly TG always has his back.   Did it again last night despite until last game, one point in over 20 games.   Not often do guys get the chances JV gets - he's had a ton of chances with the same results and a coach like Julien or Torts with the same results?   AHL. 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, nuk76 said:

Fire Green YES. How many good coaches have we passed on to keep this guy? Keep Benning, is making the same mistakes and expecting a different result. How many years does this guy get while getting no results? Bad contracts, bad draft picks, lost draft picks, and pisses off a defenceman that should be on this roster so he goes back to his country. Talk about trading shotgun then puts him on the bench devaluing the asset to the point that he will get nothing for him just like all the other players he has let walk for nothing. Brilliant. I'm sure there are a lot of GM's in the NHL that would like this much leverage. List off the draft picks on the farm that will make this club? This forum is a study on how to overvalue just about every player that's ever become a Canuck.

 

Shotgun, is Green's example of how to ruin a players confidence. Put the player on the first to lines and let him get one shift and then demote him to the fourth line. Bench him while other players with higher salaries never get criticized. Then bounce him around from the first to the fourth during a game, limit his minutes and say he's inconsistent. Give me a name another player on the roster that gets treated like this? If you don't like him just trade him.

Motte.   Burrows.  Hoglander even.  JV had ridden the coattails of his junior career and draft selection as far as it goes.   TG more then many coaches i've watched, let's the rookies play and advances them quick.   Did it with BB.   Before he moved up to the first PP unit we were 22 overall (stale as f!ck), we finished 9th.   Did it again with EP and QHs, rivatilized Pearson's and Miller's too.   Where did Hoglander start this season again?  Well he was a second rounder - not a six year vet like JV is now.   I've seen JV play with the Sedins, with Horvat, with EP, with Sutter and with Beagle.    He's somewhat valuable in any role.   This year he was supposed to make it.   NO TT.  Has he outplayed BB?  Has he outplayed Hoglander?  (solid no to both).   At some point it has to become about the player.   I love JV and hope he figures it out.   But he hasn't and before it was WDs fault for "reeling him in" as far as hitting goes.   Both Motte and Hoglander have what it takes, as did  Burrows - JV probably does too he just hasn't figured it out yet. 

 

Edit:  For sure - after two coach's and six years ... wow .   Would Motte get the same chances?  Has McEwen?  Where is Lind!?  His draft slot and up until this year - slow but steady process has carried him to what could be the end of his career.   I'm stoked he had a good game.  Maybe this is it and he finally breaks out.   But it's not like he hasn't had a lot of chances because for sure he has.  What chances has Motte had yet?  Zero.  But best at takeaways in the league when we finished the playoffs - best bottom six guy in the playoffs IMO too...i'd fire Green for that.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah, only the anticipation of watching the rookie(s) or new players (Hawryluk) is what is keeping mostly engaged but I doubt Green being a lame duck coach will play these rookies.

 

With OJ, being sent to the taxi squad, seems to indicate that JB is allowing Green to ice a vet team to give him the best roster to win - imo...

Or JB is hoping those vets show well so he can move them at the trade deadline.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Or JB is hoping those vets show well so he can move them at the trade deadline.

It would be a  prudent move but everything is very different now - not sure if there will more sellers than buyers or just teams staying put..

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nuk76 said:

Fire Green YES. How many good coaches have we passed on to keep this guy? Keep Benning, is making the same mistakes and expecting a different result. How many years does this guy get while getting no results? Bad contracts, bad draft picks, lost draft picks, and pisses off a defenceman that should be on this roster so he goes back to his country. Talk about trading shotgun then puts him on the bench devaluing the asset to the point that he will get nothing for him just like all the other players he has let walk for nothing. Brilliant. I'm sure there are a lot of GM's in the NHL that would like this much leverage. List off the draft picks on the farm that will make this club? This forum is a study on how to overvalue just about every player that's ever become a Canuck.

 

Shotgun, is Green's example of how to ruin a players confidence. Put the player on the first to lines and let him get one shift and then demote him to the fourth line. Bench him while other players with higher salaries never get criticized. Then bounce him around from the first to the fourth during a game, limit his minutes and say he's inconsistent. Give me a name another player on the roster that gets treated like this? If you don't like him just trade him.

Good points.   Green had alot of potential but (Imo) he has been given a legit chance here and will perhaps have his best days as a coach with another team as he takes away what he can from his time here.  As for JB, the reasoning when those decisions did make some sense and only with hindsight can we say he needs to improve.  Hopefully, Aquaman will hire a team president that can work with JB as a first order of business.   

Edited by ShawnAntoski
Link to post
Share on other sites

Jakes been on a line with skill players for a few games and look what happens. The big question is will he leave him there or will it be the usual, 1 mistake and he's back on the 4th line. Again i ask who else gets treated like that?? Give me a name. We have the most expensive 4 th line and do you hear the coach ever criticize them when they suck???/? Sorry Green sucks and should be fired along with "have patience" Benning.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...