The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Toronto Maple Leaves | March 4, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP, TSN4

Rate this topic

-SN-

7 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

I think if he continues this level re-signing him should be one of the top options. Kind of funny how the optics have changed in the last little bit on the Tanev and Marky fronts. Those deals will not age well. 

Agreed. He's looked good with Hughes. 

I dunno if it's soon enough to properly judge the contracts, but I'm definitely glad we didn't offer them. 

• Cheers 1

Just finished watching the game... Just made my Friday. 

We may not reach the play offs this season, but its nice to see the boys do themselves proud. Had enough of watching the Canucks lose.

What a great game by Virtanen... Scoring, power moves, setting up chances, defending, blocking, breaking up plays and hitting... Could this be the start of Jake becoming what every single Nucks fan has hoped for ?

And thank you Demko for quieting down the discussion of whether we should have kept Marky or not.... Keep this up and JB may just be thanking you for keeping his job... 

• Cheers 4

17 minutes ago, IBatch said:

MMA didn't exist back then so not sure about that reference.  Tyson beat some very excellent fighters, guys with much better reach and half a foot taller then him.   Was a monster really - has said he knew before the fight started he'd beat guys just because of their eyes before it started.   And some of those guys were seriously staring him down (go look for a laugh).   For sure his legacy will always be affected by his behaviour - in the ring before that - the sport had never seen anything like it and hasn't since.    Rocky Marciano.   He's the best of the best of the best to this day.   Both fighters launched their entire body into their power punches.  As far as what if's go - that is one fight id like to see. 

Edit:  As an aside - i love boxing and train 4-5 times a week.    We do Tyson (who was quick enough to do things most middle weights would find hard) and Rocky drills which are way more smooth left-side-right side back and forth.  Tyson was so quick he'd do double hooks and double uppercuts on the same side.   Tyson drill:  Left (lead hand) hook - body - hook- head hook body hook head for three minutes - x 3 round.   Marciano drill:  Lead hand jab, cross, lead hand uppercut (back and forth) followed by cross, lead jab,  power hand uppercut  back and forth - six moves lx 3, 3 minute rounds.   The sport was changed by both these guys.  Tyson drills also same thing by double uppercuts.... both drills are tough but Tyson drills go way way against the grain. 

The training in boxing is incredible.  Has to have the best athletes, bar none.  My father was a boxer (amateur only) but he always said that he burned an incredible number of calories in training.  He loved the sport because it had proper weight classes, made it available to everyone.  

I'd always thought of Tyson as a kind of bully brawler, I'll have to go look at the old footage. You've reminded me that Tyson was super quick and hugely respected in his early days -- the star, really, biggest since the days of Ali.  So easy to dismiss the guy now.

Every sport seems to produce the spark plug type guy that can use his whole body to overcome bigger players -- Horvat is like that now, as is Hoglander I think. The amazing thing is that they seem to get fewer injuries in spite of the work rate and commitment. Technique, I guess.  Maybe that's the best way for a kid to choose their sport: which essential technique of each sport suits them best, is most pleasurable, yields the best results.  And is sustainable without overuse injuries.

Re: MMA, I was just suggesting that Tyson may have been way ahead of his time.  Partly because he seemed to figure out how best to box in a way that suited who he was and could be.  Should a fight be an ordeal or a match, short as possible?  Tyson seemed to be the best fighter for the professional game.

Ranking fighters: boxing is amazing because a person really can imagine a fight between a Marciano and a Foreman or an Ali or even Tyson. No fiberglass sticks, no super advanced training changes to make the athletes not comparable.  No changes in the size of the field or the lightness of the ball.  Just 2 people in a ring.

8 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

blah blah blah, negative negative negative, go cheer for another team

lol, you got to love these smart folks, pretty easy backhanded comment

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Agreed. He's looked good with Hughes. 

I dunno if it's soon enough to properly judge the contracts, but I'm definitely glad we didn't offer them. 

Hamonic has looked really good the last couple games, just what we needed.

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Don’t agree with you on Edler there. A lot of teams would have paid him that. It would have turned out to be one of those situations where if Edler was on another team we’d be kicking ourselves. Edler has been massively under appreciated during his time here. 30 other teams would love to have him even at his age.

I wouldn’t have moved the Sedins either and they wouldn’t have allowed it either. My only wish is that the started the rebuild with the Sedins instead of re-tooling. We’ve only been rebuilding for 3 years since then.

I get what you’re saying about the niceness though. I would have fought to keep a guy like Manny and promoted him as oppose to giving him the ol’ good for you Manny. 

I would have signed Beagle still. He takes a lot of pressure off for other players, is a warrior and imo hard to beat for a 4th line centre/elite penalty killer. Roussel on the other hand was signed too long and too much. He simply isn’t a very effective player imo 

I may have lumped a bunch of Benning's decisions into one heap and then suggested it was all bad.  That there was an obvious pattern when maybe there isn't.

You may be right about the Sedins: they would have had to agree, I suspect you're right about that.

You may be right about Beagle too.  The problem is that Sutter and Roussel ADDED to Beagle seems to restrict our 3rd/4th line evolution at the moment.  The question of which one to keep now is interesting.  I'd assume that the one to keep is Sutter, but you may have a case re: Beagle.

Re Edler: he was not good 2 or 3 years back, I think it was 3 years back when he just couldn't seem to concentrate or make good decisions, and he was beginning to slow.  He is even slower now, but he doesn't seem to make as many bad decisions.  The penalties though: I'd love to see a statistic on the liability of players' penalty minutes.  He just seems to kill the team every second or third game with an opposition power play.  Tanev never took penalties, he wasn't as physical, but I'm not sure physical play is as important for D as it used to be. Even the thing of pushing people out from the front of the net seems to be handled differently now.

Edler has one strength only Hughes has and maybe Myers and Schmidt on a good day: he has a good feel for when to go on the offense and make the decisive set up play.  Like he did last night.  My only complaint is with his footspeed and his general slowness, which I think has been the factor in his taking so many penalties. I think hockey is increasingly a young man's game, and Edler isn't getting any younger.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Flyers are legit IMO. And with a deep pool of prospects still coming and a lot of key YOUNG guys just scratching the surface. 

Pretty good coach too ;)

Aw, don't remind me. Wish he was still coaching here tbh 

• Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, gameburn said:

I may have lumped a bunch of Benning's decisions into one heap and then suggested it was all bad.  That there was an obvious pattern when maybe there isn't.

You may be right about the Sedins: they would have had to agree, I suspect you're right about that.

You may be right about Beagle too.  The problem is that Sutter and Roussel ADDED to Beagle seems to restrict our 3rd/4th line evolution at the moment.  The question of which one to keep now is interesting.  I'd assume that the one to keep is Sutter, but you may have a case re: Beagle.

Re Edler: he was not good 2 or 3 years back, I think it was 3 years back when he just couldn't seem to concentrate or make good decisions, and he was beginning to slow.  He is even slower now, but he doesn't seem to make as many bad decisions.  The penalties though: I'd love to see a statistic on the liability of players' penalty minutes.  He just seems to kill the team every second or third game with an opposition power play.  Tanev never took penalties, he wasn't as physical, but I'm not sure physical play is as important for D as it used to be. Even the thing of pushing people out from the front of the net seems to be handled differently now.

Edler has one strength only Hughes has and maybe Myers and Schmidt on a good day: he has a good feel for when to go on the offense and make the decisive set up play.  Like he did last night.  My only complaint is with his footspeed and his general slowness, which I think has been the factor in his taking so many penalties. I think hockey is increasingly a young man's game, and Edler isn't getting any younger.

Fair Points. Signing Eddie anything more then a year at a time would be risky. His cap hit in theory should drop in half. If he wants to be a Canuck for life there should be no issues taking it a year at a time. A Edler with less minutes is still a very effective Edler.

My one pet peeve is the penalties as well, he does tend to take too many and the bad ones he take are usually due to foot speed

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Pickly said:

Neil McRae, Tony Gallagher, and Jason Botchford were not exactly the most adored folks amongst Canuck personnel and fans alike but told it how it was. 

They told it as they saw it, not necessarily how it was. Just like the rest of us, how we see it isn't always how it is.

8 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

He played over 21 minutes in tough situations against Toronto's top players in a 3-1 win. He assisted on Horvat's goal, was a plus two and was credited with two hits. What the hell else do you want? 

Perfection, nothing less will do. And after a game of perfection they will want more than just perfection.

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

does this mean I have to start drinking at 3pm until they lose again? 

It is a sacrifice I'm prepared for you to make.

2 hours ago, gameburn said:

unable to execute whatever their plan was.

"Everybody has a plan, till they get punched in the face"   Mike Tyson.

Edited by gurn
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

Montreal is picking it up with Ducharme, not going to turn it around overnight 

calgary will pick it up with Sutter

i think we will be in trouble as they start to use games in hand now to pull away 

tue only way Green saves his job for next season is to pull this team into a playoff position. Simple as that. Even that may not be enough 

9 hours ago, deus.ex.makina said:

Edler ? Solid ? 
c’mon i can ride the positivity wave all you want but mannn do we saw the same game ? 
penality, slow footing, weak clearing attempts, weak reading... 

i cant wait for his contract to terminate. 

vs.

24 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Here's why .....

First among defensemen in hits (twice as many as next, Myers)

First among defensemen in blocked shots (Myers next, with 1/4 fewer)

Fewest giveaways per 60 mins (other than Chatfield, who has zero)

Least time on ice among the big 4 (Hughes, Schmidt, Myers and Edler)

Highest on ice time when shorthanded

Highest relative percentage shorthanded (on ice 60%of the ti e Canucks are pk-ing)

Fewest 5 on 5 O-zone starts at 28% (other than Rafferty, at 20%, in his sole game)

He might be getting old, but is still our premier defenseman

And..

32 minutes ago, oldnews said:

no I saw the game against the Leafs - where he had 23.1% ozone starts, 2 hits, 2 blocks, an assists, 4 shots and was +2.

I don't know which game you watched, or if you watched the game at all, but I suspect you're dwelling on one soft 'tripping' penalty.

Edler... he got a key assist last night, got a terribly ill-timed penalty (again) and looked out of place when the speedier players were up against him... except when he defended well and made some interceptions... 

This is the problem with Edler... best and worst on the team consistently, lol. 

Imo, he fails the classic eye test miserably (except when he makes that key offensive play or hit, lol) while looking better on the stats tests (except when you total up his injury and penalty minutes, lol)  He has to be the most polarizing player in years. 

• RoughGame 1