The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Toronto Maple Leaves | March 4, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP, TSN4

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 hour ago, deus.ex.makina said:

Edler ? Solid ? 
c’mon i can ride the positivity wave all you want but mannn do we saw the same game ? 
penality, slow footing, weak clearing attempts, weak reading... 

i cant wait for his contract to terminate. 

Well they are top 3 in the league as a pairing and play some of the hardest minutes in the league but to each his own I guess.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

He played over 21 minutes in tough situations against Toronto's top players in a 3-1 win. He assisted on Horvat's goal, was a plus two and was credited with two hits. What the hell else do you want? 

He can give his +2 to Demko. 
Numbers on the final stats sheet dont tell the whole story.

But hey listen, no big deal we re not seeing Edler the same ways, I notice the wrong side of him, you put the emphasis on the good part. 
All the aspects merge into the team play and we agree its a great win for the team.

7 hours ago, Canucksince99 said:

Honestly that would be really funny. Obviously though if the team plays great under green and makes the playoff and makes some noise benning will extend him. I’m still on the fire the coaching staff train. At the very least they need to switch up the assistant coaches and see how green can work with others better suited for those positions 

If this team makes the playoffs of course he's getting an extension - it's quite likely the only way he will too.   Means our second half would be so monster, we'd likely be up there with TB and maybe one other team  in winning percentage over those games - and will say this now too, none of our vets are going anywhere at the TDL if we are close to even games and within a couple points of a spot either - in fact the team might be buyers.   It's great to get a win, especially against virtually any team except maybe OTT (no real history there), in this division,  still going to take one heck of an unbelievable effort by the players and the coaching staff to get there. 

Not to mention what sort of team we'd be if we managed a .750 or so record going into the playoffs - we'd be as scary as any contender really.   Have to make a sequel to the hockey movie Miracle - call it Miracle 2.0.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, BarnBurner said:

I lived in Manhattan NY for six months in 2000. When I was in New Jersey, I went to this bar famous for boxers, met the owner, who I've seen in Tyson's corner. One day he walks up to me with this guy with two hot women wrapped around his arms and introduces me to a fellow Canadian - Arturo Gatti. True story.

I was in this bar once, and in walked a three legged dog. The dog said in a rough voice " im looking for the man who shot my paw." True story. 

• Haha 3

48 minutes ago, IBatch said:

If this team makes the playoffs of course he's getting an extension - it's quite likely the only way he will too.   Means our second half would be so monster, we'd likely be up there with TB and maybe one other team  in winning percentage over those games - and will say this now too, none of our vets are going anywhere at the TDL if we are close to even games and within a couple points of a spot either - in fact the team might be buyers.   It's great to get a win, especially against virtually any team except maybe OTT (no real history there), in this division,  still going to take one heck of an unbelievable effort by the players and the coaching staff to get there. 

Not to mention what sort of team we'd be if we managed a .750 or so record going into the playoffs - we'd be as scary as any contender really.   Have to make a sequel to the hockey movie Miracle - call it Miracle 2.0.

Yeah if they are close, good chance JB & Aquaman will follow last years script of loading up for this playoff and will probably end up with an expensive rental due to there cap problems.  I hope they just go with the roster they have and if the league expands the roster to include the taxi squad then play the rookies instead, to give them that (all important) experience for there development.   Also, time to let the 30+ yr vets walk (or offer them a one year take it or leave deal at a substantial reduce cap hit) and give there minutes to these hungry and talented prospects; of course, if these prospects were the prospects that Gillis had been drafting and I was JB then signing these vets would be a priority....

Wonder what was the reasoning in putting OJ in the taxi squad cause he seems to had been playing well (?).

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, x00x said:

They will sat, they just finished a game the night before..and had to travel , so were tired...if we beat them sat , than ya ill eat my own words lol

We'd traveled and played 3 games out of 4 nights too.  

You weren't worried about that pre-game and are now offering it as an after thought.   When our team does that, it's called an excuse.

Leafs had 5 out of 8 days off in the last week of February just like our team.  

leafs are gonna eat us for dinner

I think word eating time is now.  ;)    Feed some to the Leafs....they're likely hungry after going without dinner last night.

(We don't get many opportunities this year to do this....so I'm going to get full mileage out of this Leafs suck moment.  I don't care what their record is....they're always going to win the cup until....they don't.  Just like us).

• Cheers 2

53 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah if they are close, good chance JB & Aquaman will follow last years script of loading up for this playoff and will probably end up with an expensive rental due to there cap problems.  I hope they just go with the roster they have and if the league expands the roster to include the taxi squad then play the rookies instead, to give them that (all important) experience for there development.   Also, time to let the 30+ yr vets walk (or offer them a one year take it or leave deal at a substantial reduce cap hit) and give there minutes to these hungry and talented prospects; of course, if these prospects were the prospects that Gillis had been drafting and I was JB then signing these vets would be a priority....

Wonder what was the reasoning in putting OJ in the taxi squad cause he seems to had been playing well (?).

I'm hoping they keep on the path - playoff experience is always a good thing but we don't have enough in the pipe to buy.   I also don't think they will even if we are close - unless it's a buy that makes sense like Miller or Schmidt - as in under contact at a good cap hit etc, such as a Pearson upgrade or solid defensive defenseman, or young good 3rd C to replace Sutter.    When i say path it's the one JB made by not re-signing aging vets to medium - long term deals.    Madden may never play a game - or he could become a solid third line C right?   I don't think they will buy unless it's to fill a need.    If CAL wasn't underachieving so much, and MTL not falling back to reality (said before the season started i didn't think they did enough to launch themselves to the top of this or any division, 24th last year, lucky first round ... they have great tertiary players but nothing great down the middle, just like before their hopes and dreams start and die with aging Weber and Price) i wouldn't even entertain the idea.   We have to beat both these teams to make the show, either that or one of them and WNP....seems like a super long shot. 

Always liked underdog teams - and for sure would love to make the playoffs - now mostly because we'd have to play like a contender the rest of the year. If i had to pick one or the other i'd pick playoffs only because we'd be a top team to make that happen.   But i resolved awhile ago, that the best thing for this team right now is another blue chip D, if not then a C that can play in a year or two and work his way towards becoming an eventual Horvat replacement.   We don't have that in the pipe - OJ has arrived IMO.   Doubt he doesn't play at least 500 games in this league, which right around his bust margin given his draft slot ... 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I'm hoping they keep on the path - playoff experience is always a good thing but we don't have enough in the pipe to buy.   I also don't think they will even if we are close - unless it's a buy that makes sense like Miller or Schmidt - as in under contact at a good cap hit etc, such as a Pearson upgrade or solid defensive defenseman, or young good 3rd C to replace Sutter.    When i say path it's the one JB made by not re-signing aging vets to medium - long term deals.    Madden may never play a game - or he could become a solid third line C right?   I don't think they will buy unless it's to fill a need.    If CAL wasn't underachieving so much, and MTL not falling back to reality (said before the season started i didn't think they did enough to launch themselves to the top of this or any division, 24th last year, lucky first round ... they have great tertiary players but nothing great down the middle, just like before their hopes and dreams start and die with aging Weber and Price) i wouldn't even entertain the idea.   We have to beat both these teams to make the show, either that or one of them and WNP....seems like a super long shot. 

Always liked underdog teams - and for sure would love to make the playoffs - now mostly because we'd have to play like a contender the rest of the year. If i had to pick one or the other i'd pick playoffs only because we'd be a top team to make that happen.   But i resolved awhile ago, that the best thing for this team right now is another blue chip D, if not then a C that can play in a year or two and work his way towards becoming an eventual Horvat replacement.   We don't have that in the pipe - OJ has arrived IMO.   Doubt he doesn't play at least 500 games in this league, which right around his bust margin given his draft slot ... 

Great points, it seems that it is best to stay the course to solve the issues in the roster from within cause (as much as) there is a risk going with prospects, we had also seen the other side, with FA's and the downside risk that goes with them.  My main point, is that the current prospect depth to make trades might not be there but there is enough to fill any spots that any of these vets will be opening up when they leave.  Also, with the pandemic there will be some very talented (unestablished) NHL vets to be had at a reduced price.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

8 hours ago, xereau said:

Remember, he's also playing inside the system which essentially has ev1 back off, and let the other team get fancy until they give up the puck.

Bad system.   At its worst when the team defending is tired or outnumbered for some reason.  The 5-person penalty kill look.  I can't believe there aren't better alternatives.

Edler still gets beat to the puck regularly, it just lets the other team retain possession way too easily.  If some of the D over the years had stayed/worked out, I'm sure that the team would never have re-signed him most recently.  He's being paid a lot of money to stand around and take a penalty every game.  They talk about Eriksson's legacy, what about Edler's?  He was a great player once.  What I find odd is the team/media's quiet acceptance of this. 

1 hour ago, gameburn said:

Bad system.   At its worst when the team defending is tired or outnumbered for some reason.  The 5-person penalty kill look.  I can't believe there aren't better alternatives.

Edler still gets beat to the puck regularly, it just lets the other team retain possession way too easily.  If some of the D over the years had stayed/worked out, I'm sure that the team would never have re-signed him most recently.  He's being paid a lot of money to stand around and take a penalty every game.  They talk about Eriksson's legacy, what about Edler's?  He was a great player once.  What I find odd is the team/media's quiet acceptance of this. 

Yeah, it showed last night and some teams with a fast & aggressive fore checks seemed to be focusing on him..

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

I remember alot of those one round Tyson massacres - those other boxers had no chance and should had been wearing some paddings - yikes !  Those fights were normally scheduled for four hour time slots and it would be fillers till the last hr or half

Tyson was like Ali in his impact on boxing when he arrived.   Ali a lot of folks thought he was just lucky to beat Liston, who was a great champ in his own right.   Round two he showed the world it wasn't a fluke.   The hype around Tyson was there before he got his title shot ... fought more then anyone i remember given the quality of competition and the frequency - because nobody could barely make him break a sweat before knocked him out. 

It's crazy to look at how many fights he had - and still is the youngest heavyweight champ in the world.   A lot of those guys were good fighter too.   The fact he was always smaller (of course built like a tank), and had to get inside to go to town ... Tyson and Ali are the fastest heavyweights i've ever seen. 

• Cheers 2

Top forward: Shotgun Jake 

Top d-man: Tyler Meyers - actually he has been the top dman for the last 2 months. Honourable mention to Hamonic who shows steady improvement. 
Top player: Demko: He didn’t steel the game but was a dominating influence. He is #1 in Vancouver and good on him considering the tough season the team has been slogging thru. 

I thought most of the vets played an uninspired game. Many mental errors which would have burned them except for Demko. The defensive awareness was better but that seems to go by the wayside fairly quickly when they break up ice. Elder had a tough night. 

Since a win doesn’t make a season they have to stay the course. Play the prospects regularly. Rotate Roussel, Virtanen, Gaudette, Beagle, Benn out. I would even add Pearson but fear it might hurt his trade value. All these players have value but their consistency is questionable. Virtanen and Gaudette could still be with the club in 2-3 years but the rest won’t. Play the rookies and prospects. 

JB has to re confirm the goal of CUP contention in 2-3 years. No deviation and no caving to sports writers and fans calling for desperation moves. Making playoffs this year is inconsequential and I argue a negative outcome if it reinforces a solely ‘run & gun’ offence. The Canucks have flirted with the ability to play a solid d-side game but have a lot of work to do still.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2