The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | March 10, 2021 | 8 p.m. PT | SNP, RDS

Rate this topic

-SN-

Last night's performance was hard to watch. We are back to the dark days of February, when people were saying "It's the schedule", "they've had no practice", "they didn't have any preseason games". So what's the excuse now?

We got absolutely hammered and outplayed by a mediocre Habs team, who did nothing special except forecheck hard and give us no time on the puck. We couldn't get out of our D zone because we were making cute little plays around the net and getting caught with the puck. When we did break out the only plan seemed to be to dump the puck in and chase it: the only snag was that by the time our forwards got there the Montreal D had made 2 simple passes and the puck was heading the other way.

If there was any system it wasn't obvious, it looked like 18 guys skating randomly with no plan at all. I can handle losing, let's be honest we've had plenty of that over the years, but I can't handle the manner of losing. We lose 5-1 and yet our goalie is our best player. How did everyone else become so bad in such a short space of time? The players we bring in seem to get dragged down to our level. Nate Schmidt was an elite player on an elite team, but now he's with us he looks like he just came up from the AHL.

We desperately need a good defensive coach and head coach. Maybe it's tank time now and hope for the best in the draft, that at least is something we seem good at.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

6 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Up temp offense but very good defensive structure. His system allows less grade A scoring chances and is defensively very solid.. He lets his players make a mistake or two. Won't park them on the bench if a player makes a mistake. He prefers to build a player's confidence and not yell at them or bench them for a mistake. 

Green has no defensive structure in his style. He's up tempo offense but sucks in D zone play. 

Defense wins games and the whole team has to play as a unit to limit goals against. Gallant excels in that department. 

Jack Adams trophy winner as coach of the year.

As opposes to Green who literally has accomplished zip with his sub 500 record yet people just can't see it 

• Cheers 2

Blues make a mid season coaching change and go on to win the Cup

this year montreal  changes coaches and now getting points 

Calgary makes a change and already looks better 

we ....ummmm..... keep losing 

Edited by canuck2288
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

58 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

He’s a terrible coach 

It was the coyotes... they had a terrible team.

Id say the larger knock on him is probably not his fault at all. Think about being a young kid and your dream is to play in the nhl and you end up being coached by the greatest player in history, possibly the most dominant athlete at his craft across all sports. A legend not just as an athlete but in his own right. 

Everyone knows who Wayne Gretzky is, sports fan or not.

I bet it was weird for the players, lots were probably star struck and it could have made for a weird coaching scenario 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Blues make a mid season coaching change and go on to win the 

this year montreal  change and now getting points 

Calgary makes a change and already look better 

we ....ummmm..... keep losing 

I'm getting so tired of green jimbo and aqua.

Something tells me that aqua is behind all of this, that tweeted vote of confidence earlier this year.

He doesn't want to change anything this season with a flat cap and no attendance.

It sucks for impatient fans.

Stealth tank lol

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

I'm getting so tired of green jimbo and aqua.

Something tells me that aqua is behind all of this, that tweeted vote of confidence earlier this year.

He doesn't want to change anything this season with a flat cap and no attendance.

It sucks for impatient fans.

Stealth tank lol

On the upside i tried the draft lottery simulator 6 times: 2 firsts, 1 second, 2 thirds and 1 ninth

tank away now 

all we have left 

2 hours ago, Jack Fig said:

They don't use their speed to blow by you , they use it to pressure you and cause mistakes. They swarm and cut off skating and passing lanes. The teams most susceptable are the lackadaisical ones with the puck .... like the Canucks. The Habs have figured out what they need to do to win, much to their credit. I'm still confounded about their decision to change coaches. 

Every bit as frustrating as our poor puck management is the almost total lack of a physical presence.  We play like the other team are wearing non-contact jerseys.  Instead of actually hitting a player with the intent of separating the puck and/or causing a turnover, we poke with our sticks, do a skate by or gently bump them while leaving them in control of the puck.  That to me is the defining culture of the canucks and has been this entire century. We haven't played physically as a team since the 90s with Williams, babych, Linden etc. We are easy to play against whether we outscore our opponent or not. 

Edited by DIBdaQUIB
  • Cheers 2
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

On the upside i tried the draft lottery simulator 6 times: 2 firsts, 1 second, 2 thirds and 1 ninth

tank away now 

all we have left 

You know the Nucks will go on a run shortly after they are eliminated and end up middle of the league.  They are the league leaders in moral victories. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, qwijibo said:

I never suggested him for the job.  Even if he was interested he’d be a terrible choice 

Gretzky will lead us to the promised land. Mark my words. He will just teach half the team to play like he did

Easy cup

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Maybe its us?

It’s us in the sense that they’re in our heads and we can’t seem to shake it.

Imagine being asked every time you play a team why they’ve gone like 15-2 or whatever it is against you. That clearly affects them before they even step on the ice.

The Habs are good but we beat plenty of good teams. That record is just one of those things that snowballs.

3 hours ago, Taphouse Canuck said:

Last night's performance was hard to watch. We are back to the dark days of February, when people were saying "It's the schedule", "they've had no practice", "they didn't have any preseason games". So what's the excuse now?

We got absolutely hammered and outplayed by a mediocre Habs team, who did nothing special except forecheck hard and give us no time on the puck. We couldn't get out of our D zone because we were making cute little plays around the net and getting caught with the puck. When we did break out the only plan seemed to be to dump the puck in and chase it: the only snag was that by the time our forwards got there the Montreal D had made 2 simple passes and the puck was heading the other way.

If there was any system it wasn't obvious, it looked like 18 guys skating randomly with no plan at all. I can handle losing, let's be honest we've had plenty of that over the years, but I can't handle the manner of losing. We lose 5-1 and yet our goalie is our best player. How did everyone else become so bad in such a short space of time? The players we bring in seem to get dragged down to our level. Nate Schmidt was an elite player on an elite team, but now he's with us he looks like he just came up from the AHL.

We desperately need a good defensive coach and head coach. Maybe it's tank time now and hope for the best in the draft, that at least is something we seem good at.

Ditto, what happened last night was what Vegas did to the Canucks last year in the playoffs.

• Cheers 1