The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | March 20, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP, RDS

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Very few, if any, games lost this year have been due to goaltending.

The team play has been trending in the right direction, less mistakes and better defense as of late, still needs lots of work though.

Its up to the team as a whole, if Holtby plays solid he will give us a shot and that's all he can do, the rest is up to the team in front.

I agree to some degree...there have been a few saves that could've been made that may have upped the confidence and changed momentum.  We saw it in OT last night with Montreal's pathetic display...teams play "scared" when the confidence isn't there.  Different..and it can be glaring.  It's when they overthink things and lose a step (and positioning).

But let's face it, what we've seen from Marky in the past and now in the here and now is anything but a goaltender "issue".  The team had to be better defensively and is starting to show some of that.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Hoping that Demko playing or not is a call between Demko, Clarke and Green. I have been pretty negative on the team’s d-side play for a few games now. Last night their zone exits were spot on most of the night. Demko stops a break away at the end but generally he had a far easier game. 

I agree that Demko cannot be overplayed and ideally Holtby goes in. The play today, travel and play again on Monday. They do have a week off. coming soon. I suspect that gets worked into the calculation. 

I'm glad they made the call they did. It will be interesting to see what the F'Lames do tonight... do they try to ride Marky?

37 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Has Gaudette turned the corner? What a great goal. Hogz is really consistent. Cannot remember which d-man but he pin Che’s with 2 minutes left in the game??? 

man I sure hope so. I don't think he's going to be a 3C, and thats just fine, lets keep him as a winger and be happy. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

35 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's certainly possible, but it's just as possible he isn't able to handle 1C duties and become a 1LW too.  Nothing wrong with that.

no, but don't you think its a little early for the call? With Podkolzin on the way, we might have the depth to actually have three 5 on 5 scoring lines with Petey, Bo and Miller at C. Something built around this maybe:

Hogs-Petey-Podz

Pearson-Bo-Brock

Vesey-Miller-Jake

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

no, but don't you think its a little early for the call? With Podkolzin on the way, we might have the depth to actually have three 5 on 5 scoring lines with Petey, Bo and Miller at C. Something built around this maybe:

Hogs-Petey-Podz

Pearson-Bo-Brock

Vesey-Miller-Jake

Thing is, we've seen how getting low and having a strong base of support is important in face offs.  Petey's long and lanky but that doesn't mean he can't have great core strength and develop good stability.  He's one of those guys who tends to work hard at whatever he's trying to improve on so I have no issues with whatever role they give him.  He'll try to  perfect it.

• Vintage 2

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

Thing is, we've seen how getting low and having a strong base of support is important in face offs.  Petey's long and lanky but that doesn't mean he can't have great core strength and develop good stability.  He's one of those guys who tends to work hard at whatever he's trying to improve on so I have no issues with whatever role they give him.  He'll try to  perfect it.

exactly, the will to want to improve and get better that he has is so important. He's not that far off imo. I wish we still had Manny tho... that one still stings.

Podkolizin looks to be such a great pick, if he is for real at the NHL level I think that changes the top 9 mix a lot. Lotto line was great but 3 scoring lines is better. 

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Hogs-Petey-Podz

Pearson-Bo-Brock

Vesey-Miller-Jake

2 rookies on the top line with Petey who doesn't have mature size yet might be dangerous. 

I love the idea but I would tweak a bit.

Hog Bo Boes 

Pearson Petey Podz

Vesey Miller Jake

Motte Beagle Sutter

Edited by 10pavelbure96
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

2 rookies on the top line with Petey who doesn't have mature size yet might be dangerous. 

I love the idea but I would tweak a bit.

Hog Bo Boes 

Pearson Petey Podz

Vesey Miller Jake

Motte Beagle Sutter

there you go.

17 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I wonder how his towel handing out and glove collecting between periods is

Will be interesting to see Holtby's form tonight:  hopefully they have got him to a better place.  He did have one excellent game for us this year when he made everything look easy at a point when our team's defensive play was just beginning to recover.  If we get that guy, no problem.  And this is also a small message to the team that they have to keep skating and checking with the kind of intensity we saw most of last night.

• Vintage 1

53 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Hogs-Petey-Podz

Pearson-Bo-Brock

Vesey-Miller-Jake

Lol wtf, why would you put miller on the third line...

• Upvote 1