The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Myers The 6million dollar man 2.0

Rate this topic

knucklehead91

@knucklehead91

Can you address why you're using on ice save% as a "positive" for Myers when he has terrible possession and scoring chance stats?

Like I said, all that really shows is that he's lucky the goaltending has been good behind him otherwise his bad numbers would look even worse.

And ice-time as an argument? Bad players get ice-time all over the league, every team, every year. It doesn't make a bad player good, the same way Gudbranson and Sbisa got lots of 5-on-5 and PK ice-time here but were still utter crap.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Myers is definitely over paid by like $1.5million.

Not gonna be an issue after next year (assuming JB stop spending on the bottom 6).

all things considered, thats not bad for UFA payments. 

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

Do you understand how on ice save % works?

So how is it that a guy with less ozone time than all the mentioned above, has a higher oiSV% 

its not just goaltending. If that was the case, Victor Hedman should have 100% oiSV% he is on a team that is +42. They have allowed 78 goals all season.. yet he has been on the ice for 1/3 of them. They have one of the top goalies on the planet and he has a lower oiSV% its not just goaltending its defence and Hedman is not helping his goalie enough. They have one of the highest team save% in the league, yet Hedman is below a player who is on a crippled and struggling severely. The point is, when Myers is on the ice, the goalie is able to make saves because he can SEE the puck because myers clears bodies. He takes away time and space, forcing shots from bad angles, making the goalies job easier, moves the puck out of danger to prevent rebound goals, for $6,000,000 he is a far cry from an issue or a large overpayment. AND hes keeping pace for points with all these other guys who are on stacked teams and play sheltered ice time away from their own zone because they are f***ing liabilities. Look at Yandle and some of the other players deployment its 55-71% ozone. Myers is starting in his own zone AND keeping up with points

None of this makes any sense.

How does he make the goalies job easier when it's a fact that he's our worst D-man when it comes to scoring chances and expected goals against?

He's doing exactly the opposite of what you're saying... the goalie's job is harder when he's on the ice because the other team is constantly getting good shots and chances. He's just lucky our goalies have been making difficult saves when he's on the ice.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

None of this makes any sense.

How does he make the goalies job easier when it's a fact that he's our worst D-man when it comes to scoring chances and expected goals against?

He's doing exactly the opposite of what you're saying... the goalie's job is harder when he's on the ice because the other team is constantly getting good shots and chances. He's just lucky our goalies have been making difficult saves when he's on the ice.

Let's see these stats on scoring chances and expected goals against please.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

“Tell me you don’t understand zonestarts, without telling me you don’t understand zonestarts.” ;) 

OK, let’s get something straight: Myers does not start the majority of his shifts in the defensive zone.

At 5v5, maybe 10% of his shifts start in the defensive zone.

Myers’ 5v5 shifts this season:

Offensive zone starts: 63

Neutral zone starts: 122

Defensive zone starts: 73

On the fly starts: 460

Total: 718

So, percentage of shifts Myers starts in the defensive zone = 73/718 = 10.17%

(Pretty close to my 10% guess at the top.)

Zonestarts are **REALLY** not understood well on CDC. 

Offensive zonestart percentage = offensive zonestarts / (offensive + defensive zonestarts)

It’s actually a pretty misleading number. People think the percentage is for all shifts, but it’s actually just looking at a small sliver of the total shifts (offensive and defensive zonestarts). Most players start way more shifts on the fly and in the neutral zone. Offensive and defensive zonestarts make up only a small percentage of total shifts. So, they just don’t really factor in too much, when considering things like CF% (other than some extreme deployment, and even then, the adjustments are fairly small).

For Myers’ offensive zonestart percentage, I doubt you’d adjust his CF% more than maybe +0.25-0.5%, so it’s basically negligible.

This is why most stats sites don’t even offer zonestart adjusted stats any more. It was determined a long time ago that zonestarts don’t really account for much, and for the vast majority of players, the adjustment is tiny and not worse even considering, when evaluating or comparing players, on stats like CF%, etc. 

Myers’ CF% is worse than nearly all of the players listed by the OP (I think Morrissey was worse), but even accounting for deployment (which again, is basically negligible difference), it’s still really bad.

And on the Canucks D, here’s how Myers stacks up, relative to his teammates.

CF%Rel: -2.35 (2nd worst)

FF%Rel: -4.64 (2nd worst)

SF%Rel: -3.88 (2nd worst)

xGF%Rel: -5.67 (worst)

SCF%Rel: -3.61 (worst)

HDCF%Rel: -5.75 (2nd worst)

Penalty differential: -11; 12 taken, 1 drawn (worst)

I’m not here to drag Myers, but any claim that he has a positive statistical profile, is either not understanding the stats, or misleading people.

His underlying numbers are not good.

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He's not even overpaid that. A good chunk of those other guys noted in the OP signed those deals as RFA's, with multiple RFA years included in the deal. UFA years simply cost more.

If you look at actual UFA contracts, Myers is right in the wheelhouse for comparable, top 4, 22 minute, RHD with some offense.

I was referring payment by performance independent on ufa / rfa status. 

12 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Let's see these stats on scoring chances and expected goals against please.

image.png.6a03eb73792c36af23d4e920c67f8676.png

Also consider that he's not being used on the shutdown role (tough assignment / against other team's best).

And the minor penalties.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Cheers 1

Imagine if our defence played like it was an insult for the other team to cross our blue line and took more shots from the point. How much does inferior coaching affect the players stats? I still think we have a much better D core than what Baumgartner coaches out of them. The best teams in the league do not give up the blue line easily.

• Cheers 3

29 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

“Tell me you don’t understand zonestarts, without telling me you don’t understand zonestarts.” ;) 

OK, let’s get something straight: Myers does not start the majority of his shifts in the defensive zone.

At 5v5, maybe 10% of his shifts start in the defensive zone.

Myers’ 5v5 shifts this season:

Offensive zone starts: 63

Neutral zone starts: 122

Defensive zone starts: 73

On the fly starts: 460

Total: 718

So, percentage of shifts Myers starts in the defensive zone = 73/718 = 10.17%

(Pretty close to my 10% guess at the top.)

Zonestarts are **REALLY** not understood well on CDC. 

Offensive zonestart percentage = offensive zonestarts / (offensive + defensive zonestarts)

It’s actually a pretty misleading number. People think the percentage is for all shifts, but it’s actually just looking at a small sliver of the total shifts (offensive and defensive zonestarts). Most players start way more shifts on the fly and in the neutral zone. Offensive and defensive zonestarts make up only a small percentage of total shifts. So, they just don’t really factor in too much, when considering things like CF% (other than some extreme deployment, and even then, the adjustments are fairly small).

For Myers’ offensive zonestart percentage, I doubt you’d adjust his CF% more than maybe +0.25-0.5%, so it’s basically negligible.

This is why most stats sites don’t even offer zonestart adjusted stats any more. It was determined a long time ago that zonestarts don’t really account for much, and for the vast majority of players, the adjustment is tiny and not worse even considering, when evaluating or comparing players, on stats like CF%, etc. 

Myers’ CF% is worse than nearly all of the players listed by the OP (I think Morrissey was worse), but even accounting for deployment (which again, is basically negligible difference), it’s still really bad.

And on the Canucks D, here’s how Myers stacks up, relative to his teammates.

CF%Rel: -2.35 (2nd worst)

FF%Rel: -4.64 (2nd worst)

SF%Rel: -3.88 (2nd worst)

xGF%Rel: -5.67 (worst)

SCF%Rel: -3.61 (worst)

HDCF%Rel: -5.75 (2nd worst)

Penalty differential: -11; 12 taken, 1 drawn (worst)

I’m not here to drag Myers, but any claim that he has a positive statistical profile, is either not understanding the stats, or misleading people.

His underlying numbers are not good.

Beautiful post sums it up here 

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1