The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GetWellThread] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | April 16 | 6 p.m. | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I disagree, for most it’s flu-like, they’ll bounce back quickly and be ready to go, these stories of how bad it is is just to sell their stories. Bad news sells, good news doesn’t. I predict all of them will be fine and play again this season.

Hopefully that's the case.  I know some of my neighbors here in Surrey got it and were amazingly back driving their dumb trucks and working at Timmy's within a week.  So I guess it affects some people worse than others.  Hopefully their youth and above average physical fitness (L.E. excepted, who's definitely not in shape) will help them overcome the symptoms quickly and they can back playing. The important thing is they fully recover before playing any games.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I know pretty much everyone of us want the same thing, for the players to get healthy, get back in game shape and get back to being the stars we love, i never thought I’d ever say this but in the best interest of our players reaching that goal they don’t need any distractions so here goes.

Don’t Fire Green!

I trust you mean Don't fire him "YET" ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I disagree, for most it’s flu-like, they’ll bounce back quickly and be ready to go, these stories of how bad it is is just to sell their stories. Bad news sells, good news doesn’t. I predict all of them will be fine and play again this season.

If it was the original strain, maybe... although even a bad flu (which is what most healthy people feel) will knock you on your ass and start eating away at your body pretty quickly. Especially an athlete, who trains hard to get their body in peak condition for a grueling game. With not eating properly, it doesn't take long to start losing muscle mass.

But this is the new and improved strain, courtesy of Brazil I believe. It is far more infectious (apparently proven, given the numbers in the locker room), affects those far younger, as well as has more severe symptoms.

Then they have to train to get back INTO shape, and they are going to be rusty.

Nobody needs to sell stories when it's the truth. Headlines these days write themselves.

Edited by kloubek

11 minutes ago, kloubek said:

If it was the original strain, maybe... although even a bad flu (which is what most healthy people feel) will knock you on your ass and start eating away at your body pretty quickly. Especially an athlete, who trains hard to get their body in peak condition for a grueling game. With not eating properly, it doesn't take long to start losing muscle mass.

But this is the new and improved strain, courtesy of Brazil I believe. It is far more infectious (apparently proven, given the numbers in the locker room), affects those far younger, as well as has more severe symptoms.

Then they have to train to get back INTO shape, and they are going to be rusty.

Nobody needs to sell stories when it's the truth. Headlines these days write themselves.

It is more infectious and affects younger people but there is no evidence it’s more severe and with reports that at least some of them are starting to feel better backs that. Go back in this thread and look at the tweets and see how bleak they sounded, stories don’t sell themselves, they need to stand out and grab your attention. The way this situation was reported sickens me.

Edited by Dumb Nuck
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I trust you mean Don't fire him "YET" ?

I have a lot of leadership experience and one thing I do know is when people got through a crisis together it bonds them, something that I always felt was missing in our team and I blame coaching for that, this just might be the kick in the a$$ he needs to get onboard and really build a team so I will refrain from any judgement for the time being but I will keep him on a short leash. 

I give my word, no more “ Fire Green” posts this season.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I have a lot of leadership experience and one thing I do know is when people got through a crisis together it bonds them, something that I always felt was missing in our team and I blame coaching for that, this just might be the kick in the a$$ he needs to get onboard and really build a team so I will refrain from any judgement for the time being but I will keep him on a short leash. 

I give my word, no more “ Fire Green” posts this season.

Interesting perspective !  Hmmmm,  I'll have to let that sink in a bit.  

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I did it in 2 shots.  Main problem with the movie for me was although Pacino and De Niro do look younger through CGI, it's not possible to make them move the same way they did when they were actually that age.

so it looks like a bad case of botox? 

4 minutes ago, Raspberries said:

Juice on 650 right now saying many of the positive players are staying in a hotel isolating from their families.  Damn.

Makes sense. Especially a guy like Hamonic. I can see that 

• Vintage 2

8 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Four days ago they were all on their death beds and I admit I was concerned about this strain as well but everything since leads me to believe that although more contagious, it’s not any worse, it’s been 4 days and they’re starting to feel better, even stating it’s not as bad as it sounds. I’m sorry but the media are POS fear mongering money grubbers. Odds are they will all be fine.

Dont get me wrong, I’m not downplaying the how bad COVID can be, but I am disgusted at how this situation was reported.

Thing is, even this morning on TSN they're reporting many of them were quite sick with cramping, vomiting, dehydration.  

I think my reaction is based on knowing that some look for "it's not that bad" to run around like it's not even here if we share that message with them.  We don't need to freak out...that this is serious.  But it is. Right now there are reasons we're doing the "circuit breaker" and the team's experience highlights why that's so important.  This is a scary virus and no one should assume that it will be fine because, for many, it takes a drastic turn and isn't.   And if it rips through groups like it has our team, imagine the numbers soaring in line with that if people let their guard down because "it's not that bad".

No one said "on their death beds" they said "very sick".

everything since leads me to believe that although more contagious, it’s not any worse,

This is downplaying how bad COVID can be ^

Look at what nurses and doctors are saying and pay particular attention to the hospitalizations and people in ICU to see this is worse.  So we HAVE to keep the numbers down to prevent overwhelming the health care system.

"Most will recover" is somewhat based on our hospitals being equipped to handle that....if they become strained, we're facing a pretty serious issue. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 3

10 minutes ago, Raspberries said:

Juice on 650 right now saying many of the positive players are staying in a hotel isolating from their families.  Damn.

I keep forgetting he's on there now...so great that he's staying so involved.  Thanks...love taking in his takes.

That's a pretty good indicator of how they are taking this responsibly, thanks for the update!

"I could care less if they like me" - Juice

(that's why we like him)

• Vintage 1

Around 2,800 people under the age of 40 have died of the coronavirus in Brazil so far this month, more than double the number reported over the same period in February and almost triple the rate for January, according to government figures.

“You have a much more transmissible virus going around,” Brazil-based biologist Natália Pasternak told CNN. “It's going to infect more people, including more young people.”

It's important to remember that the increased rate of transmission means the number of people who are more severely ill will rise with those numbers and that's where the concern lies.  When you have people who need intubation there are limited resources available and things can go downhill quickly.

For many/most, sure...flu like symptoms (for now, who knows the long term effects at this point) but this wildfire burning out there needs to be extinguished.  Because even if the symptoms "aren't that bad" for everyone, the chances of contracting and passing this along sure took a turn toward that.  I just feel we all have a responsibility TO take this seriously right now.  

"Exponential growth"

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

It's important to remember that the increased rate of transmission means the number of people who are more severely ill will rise with those numbers and that's where the concern lies.  When you have people who need intubation there are limited resources available and things can go downhill quickly.

For many, sure...flu like symptoms (for now, who knows the long term effects at this point) but this wildfire burning out there needs to be extinguished.  Because even if the symptoms "aren't that bad" for everyone, the chances of contracting and passing this along sure took a turn toward that.  I just feel we all have a responsibility TO take this seriously right now.  

"Exponential growth"

That's what Ontario is facing right now and BC isn't far behind.  One of the things that most who flout the rules don't think of is the effect this is going to have on ER staff who are going to have to decide who is saveable and who they send home to die if ICU's fill up.......which they will in Ontario in a week or two.  What a horrifying thing to have to do.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1