The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Mittelstadt to VAN

Obviously Buffalo is in a world of hurt right now and hopefully keen to shuffle some pieces. One interesting one might be Mittelstadt who's never really lived up to his hype. He's a young center we could desperately use to replace Sutter/Beagle's minutes in the future. He might want top 6 minutes in the future and if he progresses offensively, might be able to move up (eg. On the powerplay or wing) but we need a young center in the fold.

Question is, what would it take?

To VAN: Mittelstadt 

To BUF: Virtanen + Lind/Lockwood + 2nd round pick

Is that enough/too much? I'd be happy with Virtanen plus Lind alone, swap two struggling former high first rounders for a change of scenery.

If you want to be competitive, you need someone reliable and defensively sound on the 3rd line center position. Not a 22 year old project. I've never seen overstacking 3 excellent centers work on any team; the chemistry and ice time just doesnt work. We already have Pettersson/Horvat. Even the Jets are playing Statsny on LW after the Dubois trade. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

Virtanen > Mittelstadt......1 for 1, project for project

both had great potential when drafted, both have disappointed but Jakes stat lines are way better

the Canucks have a decent culture, the Sabres are dysfunctional

Mittelstadt may turn around his career in a good environment, Virtanen, thrown to Buffalo will not do well imo

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Lind had a better year in 2019 than Mittelstadt in the AHL.  He's also more of a 3rd line player than Mittelstadt and can play centre and wing.  I'd rather keep Lind to be honest.  I don't see Mittelstadt cracking our top 6, not even as a winger.  Also, a  2nd round pick to Benning is almost the same as a 1st round pick, so no need to give that up either.

I don't see CM in play, I mean who are they going to rebuild around if they get rid of their youngest prospects?

I noticed on Capfriendly that Buffalo is still paying for Cody Hodgson. Its been a gong show for a very long time now. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Virtanen at the very least is a proven NHL player. His offensive game has taken a step back this season, no doubt, but still an NHL player.

Mittelstadt hasn't proven anything, he's still just potential at this point. It could be argued Jake holds more value, the shimmer of potential fades the longer it isn't realized.

I def wouldn't give up Lind/Lockwood and a 2nd on top of Virtanen for him, no way. It appears we're grooming Lind for a bottom six role, and Lockwood is a good prospect in his own right. Drafting is also one of our strengths, why move what'll likely be a higher 2nd for a project?

I might do a one for one trade involving Virtanen and Middlstadt, but that's all I'd offer. I'm gonna trust in our drafting and our prospects. 

• Vintage 1

18 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Virtanen at the very least is a proven NHL player. His offensive game has taken a step back this season, no doubt, but still an NHL player.

Mittelstadt hasn't proven anything, he's still just potential at this point. It could be argued Jake holds more value, the shimmer of potential fades the longer it isn't realized.

I def wouldn't give up Lind/Lockwood and a 2nd on top of Virtanen for him, no way. It appears we're grooming Lind for a bottom six role, and Lockwood is a good prospect in his own right. Drafting is also one of our strengths, why move what'll likely be a higher 2nd for a project?

I might do a one for one trade involving Virtanen and Middlstadt, but that's all I'd offer. I'm gonna trust in our drafting and our prospects. 

This exactly.   At least JV can do a pull up and proved he could get 18 goals in less then 70 games all over the lineup.   Would be a fair project tweener trade one for one. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Priceless.   Even overwieght, non-athletic middle aged men can do ONE pull-up.   Kid should use the rowing machine more. 

Supposedly he pulled something in his shoulder and was able to do the requisite amount of pull ups that same day. The picture is something though. Looks a lot like the actor Michael Shannon in the picture.