The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No, EP is not going to consider an offer sheet

Rate this topic

LeafsFanDan

4 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Ya but if Barry gets a big offer sheet and goes to Benning with the number that makes it much more urgent for Benning. Its all about the leverage.

Then let him get the big offer sheet and take it from there... 

Nobody knows what the hold up is, and as have been stated several times, every major contract have been signed later in the window.

Last thing you wanna do is to give an inflated contract out of fear for an offer sheet.

• Cheers 1

I'm going to attach my original thoughts from the other Offersheet thread below:

I'm not concerned about an offersheet. It would take a massive overpayment of 10.5M+ to make it difficult to match, which very few teams have access to or rosters to make losing the four consecutive 1st rounds worth it. 

Detroit: Needs at least one more year of solid building before making the postseason, let alone making an actual impact in a very difficult division.

Ottawa: same as Detroit, plus they need to sort out their own RFA situation with Tkachuk and Batherson first.

Buffalo: As above, plus they need to sort out their Eichel situation and RFAs Dahlin and Mittelstadt.

New Jersey: With Hughes and Hishier as their top 2 Centres, they would only be interested if they are wanting a significant upgrade at wing. That said, Hughes is an RFA next year and will have to consider his contract, even though Subban is off the books. My belief is they need to see what they are this season before they commit four 1sts.

Nashville: With Johansen and Duchene eating a combined $16M per year, adding Pettersson at $10.5M could mean losing Forsberg and or Ekholm next season. Besides, they still need to figure out contracts for Fabbro, Tolvanen, and Saros.

Minnesota: Offersheeting Pettersson will mean losing one of Fiala or Kaprizov, especially since their buyout penalties are so harsh over the next few seasons.

Anaheim: They're rebuilding, plus have 4 important RFAs to sign in Steel, Jones, Lindstrom, and Comtois, not to mention at least one more Defenseman to fill out their roster, whether in free agency, trade, or from within.

NYI: With Beauvillier and Pelech due new contracts, their cap is committed, not to mention Barzal's contract to consider next season.

Seattle: This is the only team that may concern me, however they would have to be 1000% confident they will be a Stanley cup contender to give up four 1sts after just joining the league. If they crash and burn out after this offersheet, their future is stalled for almost 4 years.

Carolina: They only do this if they can confidently sign Svechnikov to a team friendly deal and move out one of Neidereiter or Trocheck to facilitate the cap space. Not likely to happen.

NYR: If they figure out their Goalie situation, they may make a play, though it will compromise their ability to keep all of Strome, Kaako, Kravtsov, and Fox. This is a big gamble.

Calgary: As much as it could hurt to see him go there, Calgary still needs to figure out their contracts for Zadorov, Duke, and Kylington. There is also uncertainty facing the futures of Monahan and Gaudreau. Is it worth giving up four 1sts if they lose those two the following year?

Columbus: Petterson flanked by Laine could be scary, however it will risk their ability to keep Laine (should they wish to), Roslovic, and will lead to losing one of either Merzlikins or Korpisalo.

Arizona: They are not going to give up their picks to facilitate this, after spending the past month collecting picks to rebuild their club fixing the last few years of mediocrity. 

St. Louis: With the RFAs they still need to sign they won't have the cap space to even consider an offersheet. 

The remaining teams don't have the space, flexibility, or picks to consider an offersheet. I'm confident we'll get Pettersson signed to a favorable deal. All we have to do is wait, which is always the hard part.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, therodigy said:

I'm going to attach my original thoughts from the other Offersheet thread below:

I'm not concerned about an offersheet. It would take a massive overpayment of 10.5M+ to make it difficult to match, which very few teams have access to or rosters to make losing the four consecutive 1st rounds worth it. 

If the offer sheet is 10,55 mill it’s only 2 1st.

6 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

If the offer sheet is 10,55 mill it’s only 2 1st.

• For AAVs below $1.35654 million, there is no compensation
  • From that number to $2.055364, the price is one 3rd-round pick
  • From that number to $4.110732, its one 2nd
  • From that number $6.166096 its one 1st and one 3rd
  • From that number to $8.221463, it’s one 1st, one 2nd and one 3rd
  • From that number to $10.276829, it is two 1sts, one 2nd and one 3rd
  • Over that number, it is four 1sts
  • Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:
  • For AAVs below $1.35654 million, there is no compensation
  • From that number to $2.055364, the price is one 3rd-round pick
  • From that number to $4.110732, its one 2nd
  • From that number $6.166096 its one 1st and one 3rd
  • From that number to $8.221463, it’s one 1st, one 2nd and one 3rd
  • From that number to $10.276829, it is two 1sts, one 2nd and one 3rd
  • Over that number, it is four 1sts

Ok, I checked NHLs own side but I missed the date.

In 2019 it was ”More than $10,568,589 -- four first-round picks (can be spread over five-year period)”.

I am not too worried, if we are looking at a player who is going to consider signing an offer sheet or is wanting to squeeze every last cent from the club he is playing for, then we probably don't want him anyway. Players wanting to win a cup have another agenda and if either of these players are chasing money instead of chasing a cup?  ,,,,,,,,,,,,Beat it!!! ::D

This is something I very much enjoy watching the Leafs go through but not us please. GCG!!

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...