The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No, EP is not going to consider an offer sheet

Rate this topic

LeafsFanDan

On 4/13/2021 at 8:37 PM, ForzaTikare said:

If its the same Petey as the teen Petey here in Timrå i have a hard time seeing him going for the biggest deal possible... If its helps the team win i guess he'd rather play for 7m aav than a 10m aav.. I wouldn't rule out a 8yr 8m aav contract. 

The only teams i could see with the cap and draft picks to offer sheet him is Hurricanes, Flames and Red Wings.. 

No idea whom of those would go for it though.

But if he’s the same guy feeling for the refugees from his childhood he have a hard time with people like Benning...

12 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

ya he's better than barzal that's all. .95 vs .89ppg first 2 season?

There's more than stats to see the difference though.  Remembering that Barzal is 1.5 yrs older and is now in his 4th season (Pete in his 3rd), the comparable is based on the current record; which may change as Pete matures.

At the moment, Barzal is more durable and has not missed a single game so far.  Pete continues to struggle with the bigger players; often getting run over, which has lead to injuries.  Again, this will likely improve as Pete gains more experience.

Barzal is more capable at playing all aspects of the C position, due to experience most likely.

I think Pete has better linemates. I'd take Miller over Eberle any day.  Same goes for Brock over Lee.

I still think that Pete gets the same contract as Barzal ($7mX3).  It will be the next contract that will either set them apart or make them comparable.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

There's more than stats to see the difference though.  Remembering that Barzal is 1.5 yrs older and is now in his 4th season (Pete in his 3rd), the comparable is based on the current record; which may change as Pete matures.

At the moment, Barzal is more durable and has not missed a single game so far.  Pete continues to struggle with the bigger players; often getting run over, which has lead to injuries.  Again, this will likely improve as Pete gains more experience.

Barzal is more capable at playing all aspects of the C position, due to experience most likely.

I think Pete has better linemates. I'd take Miller over Eberle any day.  Same goes for Brock over Lee.

I still think that Pete gets the same contract as Barzal ($7mX3).  It will be the next contract that will either set them apart or make them comparable.

lol the season he won his calder he played a lot of PP time with tavares he had like 25+ points with tavares and he hasn't reached that mark in points per game or powerplay points ever since. if you are going to compare linemates. EP played with eriksson and goldobin the 1st year along with boeser. his production didn't really increase or decrease with the addition of Miller on that line. one can argued Miller production went up playing with EP.

• Cheers 1

On 4/14/2021 at 11:20 AM, wallstreetamigo said:

If they can get Petey on a bridge under 7.5 per and Hughes under 7 thats probably a pretty good deal. If they want to buy any UFA years on long term deals the price will go up a lot.

I wouldn’t consider Hughes at 6.75 mil a good deal.  We can agree to disagree on that one but to me he’s maybe a shade better then Sergachev and about a shade under MacAvoy. Those are 4.8 mil and 5.5 mil (correct me if I’m wrong on MacAvoy’s number) 

25 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I wouldn’t consider Hughes at 6.75 mil a good deal.  We can agree to disagree on that one but to me he’s maybe a shade better then Sergachev and about a shade under MacAvoy. Those are 4.8 mil and 5.5 mil (correct me if I’m wrong on MacAvoy’s number) 

I don't necessarily think he is worth that either tbh. I don't personally think he is better than either of those guys at this point. But I think he will push for as much as he can get. I love the kid but he is definitely pretty cocky and maybe not entirely realistic about the significant defensive holes in his game. Offensive dmen get paid so I expect he will too.

• Cheers 1

On 4/13/2021 at 8:28 AM, LeafsFanDan said:

People don't understand why he switched agents, it has nothing to do with money. He has a disagreement with his agent on a different issue and they decided to split.

No one comes to NHL looking for money, EP is a kid at heart I don't understand why so many ppl think money is important to these guys. The team gives them contracts they sign them they inside cant believe someone is tabling millions of dollars to them to play a game they would play for a few hundred Gs anyways. 

You are very naive. These guys know their worth to the team. Yes he may be a great guy who's very humble (I highly doubt you know him so you aren't close enough to be able to know his motivations) but he also knows that hockey is a dangerous sport where his career could be over quickly after a serious injury. He wants to be paid what he's worth and he deserves it.

Whatever Pettersson signs for, he's worth every penny. He's our franchise player right now and moving forward. 

I agree where some might say that he's probably going to get a bridge deal from management - 7 mil over 3 years? Hughes is going to be, in my opinion, something a little less than Pettersson. Durability is still a concern for me with Petey, though. Doesn't mean I don't love the guy. 

Would not be surprised if EP gets an offer sheet in the 9-10m range and also would not be surprised if he signs it

its a crap show in Vancouver with incompetent management and coaching. The passive coach does not play an aggressive style and its constantly open season on the small stars 

money talks, if EP gets paid..say goodbye to EP as JB has completely tied his hands if an offer sheet comes 

https://blueseatblogs.com/2021/04/17/skip-jack-eichel-the-rangers-should-offer-sheet-elias-pettersson/amp/

Edited by canuck2288
  • RoughGame 1

Doesn’t care about money? Team over himself? 

LOL 

They are not even locals. Why would they be loyal to us? From what I can see EP is a superstar in the making. He ain’t gonna receive a penny less than his actual worth. Many teams out there are happy to pay him full value. If we don’t, we are in trouble. 

I don’t understand why some fans over estimate players loyalty to the city of the team. Why would they be loyal? 

16 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol the season he won his calder he played a lot of PP time with tavares he had like 25+ points with tavares and he hasn't reached that mark in points per game or powerplay points ever since. if you are going to compare linemates. EP played with eriksson and goldobin the 1st year along with boeser. his production didn't really increase or decrease with the addition of Miller on that line. one can argued Miller production went up playing with EP.

I've said this a lot but it seems hard for some fans to understand. Miller has a chance of a lifetime now. Added to a bad team and get to play first line and PP with 2 superstars in the making. This is probably why he is so excited. B)

On 4/14/2021 at 12:15 PM, kilgore said:

EP is confident but does not come off as arrogant. Hughes is a little different.  I was a little taken aback when he was struggling with his defensive numbers earlier and after a tough game for him, when asked questions about his mistakes and play, he responded "I think I played great"  or something like that.  Many players, including Petey, would probably give some answer something like "I have to do better".    Not that I have a problem with it. If that's what Quinn needs to get up for games and keep playing well.  Every player is different. 

But it does seem like Hughes has influenced Petey to go for gold.  Dump his former agent and use his, more "aggressive" agent to make sure he gets all he can. 

Its not just about the money. It is, maybe even more so, about the respect.  In a void, I do think Petey would be stoked with making 5 million, even 1 million, a year as any human would.  Its about all the hard work they have done since kids to get here, and breaking records and reaching milestones.  A contract offer that honours that is important. And if they then are low-balled by management.....and actually accept it.....other players, and the players union, will not be amused by bringing down the average. But more than that, they wouldn't accept it, because that number reflects what they think about their own potential, and how they want to be viewed comparatively to the rest of the league.

Hoping both Petey and Hughes take note of the Boeser deal. 3 year bridge deal if they cannot get the money they want over term. Covid works against them as the CAP likely impacts contracts for a couple of years. Both have obvious talent but are still unproven to some extent. This likely ends in a bridge deal. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
On 4/17/2021 at 6:35 AM, ktcy2 said:

Doesn’t care about money? Team over himself? 

LOL 

They are not even locals. Why would they be loyal to us? From what I can see EP is a superstar in the making. He ain’t gonna receive a penny less than his actual worth. Many teams out there are happy to pay him full value. If we don’t, we are in trouble. 

I don’t understand why some fans over estimate players loyalty to the city of the team. Why would they be loyal? 

They won't its a business.. they are beta fishes in a fish tank... imagine if pettersson plays with beagel or Roussel do you think he will rack up all those points and or goals?  If he does then he would be worth over 15 million per year...  look at ovi he established himself to make 10m a year.  I think agents are way over evaluating players.  By the time petey or Hughes are in there 40s they should be making 20 million a year? Nhl is a joke, agents are a joke.  Fire all agents keep the money instead of paying them a percentage...

On 4/12/2021 at 4:59 PM, LeafsFanDan said:

I wanted to bring up today's article from  Canucks Way.

https://thecanuckway.com/2021/04/12/are-the-canucks-in-danger-of-a-pettersson-or-hughes-offer-sheet/

First of all, EP is a humble kid who is just happy to be in the NHL. He doesn't care not does he put too much weight into how much money he will make. He isn't the type of a person to sit out games for cash  basically he will accept the bare minimum to keep playing. To say anything more shows complete lack of insight into EP attitude and character.

Same with Hugh's, kids a 5'10 dude he never dreamed of making millions let alone 7 mill a year. They have no clue what they are worth and they are humble, these kids just wanna play. They will take what the team gives them and move on.

These kids are chasing money they just love the game and the fun, that's my honest opinion. It's complete click  bait and just lazy writing to suggest EP is going to entertain  offers.

Even if this was true, and man it’s a stretch, players have agents to look after their self interest - and no, they will not accept the bare minimum just to keep playing. Do you accept the bare minimum just to keep working?

• Cheers 1

On 4/16/2021 at 12:14 PM, higgyfan said:

Barzal can skate better than Petey. He is an elite skater with the puck on his stick like Patrick Kane although not quite at McDavid level (nobody is) and Barzal doesn't have Kane's shot.

If Barzal were a winger and had to deal with less defensive responsibilities, he would put up more points. And the system that NYI vs Vancouver explains for the difference in points per game between the two players.

Petey's defensive game is also solid. Petey obviously has a lot better shot than Barzal, he is already one of the elite triggermen in the NHL. And I personally think he's got creativity and vision ahead of Barzal.

As a fan who admires both players, I really think the two play a different style and have different strengths. Like you said, 7 x 3 bridge deal for Petey and let's see if the Petey can differentiate himself from Barzal.

9 hours ago, khay said:

Barzal can skate better than Petey. He is an elite skater with the puck on his stick like Patrick Kane although not quite at McDavid level (nobody is) and Barzal doesn't have Kane's shot.

If Barzal were a winger and had to deal with less defensive responsibilities, he would put up more points. And the system that NYI vs Vancouver explains for the difference in points per game between the two players.

Petey's defensive game is also solid. Petey obviously has a lot better shot than Barzal, he is already one of the elite triggermen in the NHL. And I personally think he's got creativity and vision ahead of Barzal.

As a fan who admires both players, I really think the two play a different style and have different strengths. Like you said, 7 x 3 bridge deal for Petey and let's see if the Petey can differentiate himself from Barzal.

Barzals the better player. 

Love Petey though.  Still our franchise centre.