The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler To Have Hearing Today [Update: Suspended 2 games]

Rate this topic

-DLC-

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

But Edler isn't Tkachuk....not sure we have to set it up like that because they're totally different?

Edler deserves this penalty and a game (or two) because you just can't do that no matter what the reason is.   I imagine it'll be more of the same with the book thrown at a Canuck but Edler was gassed after a long shift and it was more of a matter of what Bieksa said than those who want to prove a point about the team say.  He is not a malicious dirty player...if he was, there'd be a whole lot of hurt guys in his wake.  

You're right deb. 

Just going to leave this here though 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theglobeandmail.com/amp/sports/hockey/alex-edler-suspended-two-games-for-knee-on-knee-hit-on-eric-staal/article11992131/

Edited by 73 Percent

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

You're right deb.

Damn right I am.  Even though I know this is tongue in cheek, I saw your "he has a history of this" and that just isn't true.  But I can't defend that this isn't the right course of action here because it is.

7 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

But Edler isn't Tkachuk....not sure we have to set it up like that because they're totally different?

Edler deserves this penalty and a game (or two) because you just can't do that no matter what the reason is.   I imagine it'll be more of the same with the book thrown at a Canuck but Edler was gassed after a long shift and it was more of a matter of what Bieksa said than those who want to prove a point about the team say.  He is not a malicious dirty player...if he was, there'd be a whole lot of hurt guys in his wake.  

I disagree with that part, he's a notoriously dirty player it's just not actively talked about or goes unnoticed.

Some examples below..

• Haha 3
  • Sad 3
  • RoughGame 7

14 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

So 8 years ago, yes.  And doing something for a second time in how many games he's played isn't really "a history of" or a pattern of concern.

If you feel Edler's a dirty player you won't ever change my mind on that because...he's not.   

Never said he was dirty. 

9 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Never said he was dirty. 

So what is the point in "he has a history of this"?

And Tkachuk is dirty so why compare Edler to him?

Never mind...don't bother....have to go to work soon and, again, no one will change my mind.   He deserved the penalty and the subsequent suspension but his character is fully intact.

32 minutes ago, AriGold said:

I disagree with that part, he's a notoriously dirty player it's just not actively talked about or goes unnoticed.

Some examples below..

He's not a dirty player.   There aren't really any dirty players left in the league anymore (Wilson debatable, but i don't think even he is, he's just too dumb to realize you can't hit anyone like that anymore even though most would be considered clean hits before).   Don't mistake playing hard as dirty.   Anyone who's played hard over that many games, is going to make some mistakes.   If he's a dirty player then this league is now just a glorified all-star game on repeat.   The game is way way tamer then it used to be.    Hits are counted now that before we're not - they were just player finishing their checks.    If he's dirty then so was McAbe, Ohlund and Jovo.

I supposed you'd say Chara is dirty too.   He did almost break Patches head in half on a stanchion...but wouldn't you want him on your team in his prime?   Nothing to see here, move on and based on a few reactions (not you 73),  and some of the posts after last nights game in general, this site for sure had been infiltrated by Leaf lovers in disguise, and surprise surprise a few of them are JB haters or just cause discourse on purpose.   Don't be one of them.   Edit: MT and Marchand are the main offenders ... he's nothing like them. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Edler isn't a repeat offender by NHL guidelines. So there's that in his favour.

It wasn't a smart play, it needs to be at least 1 game because you have to be responsible for your actions regardless of the situation. 1 game plus the major should be the punishment. It'll probably be 2 'cuz Leafs. 3 would be excessive given the other fines handed out this year. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

Why do they even have a hearing - NHL has already made up its mind. I felt the 5 min major and game misconduct was enough. Maybe if it has been a 2 min minor then he would have deserved a game suspension, but to me the penalty already given fit the crime.

• Vintage 1

It wasn't a head shot. His last offence was 8 years ago. I suspect 1 game, but hope just a fine. 

Personal opinion here:

-the way I saw it, they BOTH had their knees out to take out the other person. Just because Hyman gets 'hurt', Edler will get a suspension? Sorry but I don't get it. Taveres said that after the game Hyman seemed okay and would be day to day, so where is this severe injury? Hyman must have played alot of soccer in his younger days, roll on the ground writhing in pain to get the other guy hurt. 

- this reminds me of last year when Myers hits a guy in the head that's 9" shorter than he is, what's he supposed to do? crouch down to hit the guy?

• Vintage 1

52 minutes ago, AriGold said:

Some examples below..

That’s like one game’s  worth of Matthew Tkachuk’s BS

Edited by bbllpp

15 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Edler isn't a repeat offender by NHL guidelines. So there's that in his favour.

It wasn't a smart play, it needs to be at least 1 game because you have to be responsible for your actions regardless of the situation. 1 game plus the major should be the punishment. It'll probably be 2 'cuz Leafs. 3 would be excessive given the other fines handed out this year. 

Probably wise to give him one game just to avoid stupidity next game 

Edler will get 2-3 games for this even having such a significant length between supposed "dirty plays" or "history of this" type plays.

But numerous other players will do this multiple times a year and get fines.

Edler gets 3 games for being a Canuck

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Edler will get 2-3 games for this even having such a significant length between supposed "dirty plays" or "history of this" type plays.

But numerous other players will do this multiple times a year and get fines.

Edler gets 3 games for being a Canuck

Nahhhh. 
He gets 3 games because he deserves them.  
Id go with 2 myself, but let’s take the blinders off here.   
It was a fairly garbage play by Edler.   It happens. He deserves a suspension. 
That’s not saying he meant to do it, but you gotta be in control and he wasn’t.  

Not to take anything away from who he is as a player or blah blah blah........

it was a bad hit and he deserves a couple games.  

• Cheers 2