The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Ottawa Senators | April 22, 7 p.m. | SNP, RDS2

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Roussel is injured 

It seems like there is a slightly bigger change. I think it would have made sense to only replace Michaelis with Roussel, but there is a change to every line:

• Hoglander and Boeser switched spots
  • Highmore and Vesey switched spots
  • Michaelis replaced Roussel

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

From some practice sessions(in Calgary?), where OTT had been trying out lots of youth.

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson

Stutzle - White - Dadonov

Formenton - Pinto - Brown

Paul - Tierney - Dzingle

That 3rd line could be pretty dangerous. There is a lot of speed in that bottom-6

• Huggy Bear 1

42 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Does Chatfield need to play? Why not Bowey instead?

They are using emergency recall.  Roster players can’t come out of the lineup if they are healthy to play.  There are only 4 regular recalls possible after the TDL and Juolevi is on emergency recall.  

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Totally!

Some of our the prospects might never play.

Yep.   CDC used to do this crazy routine with guys like Gaunce, Corrado, Cannaugnton, Jensen, Grenier,  Shinkaruk et al... it was pretty lame in hindsight wasn't it?   Not trying to demean what JB has done .... by pointed out Milford 10000plus NHL games from 4 drafts - but am trying to say come on folks it's still early yet.

At the same time will say this.   I haven't been this excited about a team we've had, since the Linden era.     Its the only time we've had such youth before as capable.  Bure, Linden, Nedved and Ronning.     EP/Linden/QHs/Bure/Podz/Nedved ... no BB back then as far age gap goes Horvat/Ronning  ... we actually have more but come on Bure was better for sure.   So QHs/BB = Bure.   What we don't have right now is Adams, Courtnall and a defense that can compare.   But we do have Demko as well.  

Won't bother with the late 70's early 80's comps but they do exist.   I was more interested in my NHL sticker books back then and the Oilers to know better.  Plus Bobby Clark had the best hair - and Babych  the best mustache. 

Point is two things.   Back during the Gaunce/Jensen years we had a bottom pool.  It truly was awful.   Now we still have an above average one and folks should be more excited then we were back then about what is left ...14th is slightly above average and that's WITH both OJ and Hogs graduating.   

It took me awhile to see the forest for the trees too.  Didn't mind the re-tool because it was the most realistic and intelligent approach given we had virtually ZERO in our pool aside from Horvat.   Still high expectations we were a great team for half a decade, tops in the division five times in a row, two presidents trophies and only a couple years since going the distance.   Wasn't happy when we made the change really but understood it was time (changing GMs). 

JB...to me the only thing that rubs me wrong about his tenure is actually Linden.  Used.  Used. Used.   That's a stink that won't go away because he was part of that.   Aside from that - good job overall a B.   Maybe a B+ or an an A if he keeps up his trajectory and manages to pull a few more great moves like Miller, EP, BB, Myers, and Schmidt.   Myers is this teams version of Mitchell but some fans just can't see the forest for the trees.   To answer you pool reply intention - 4 of our top five are expected to become NHLers at some point.   The entire load isn't blown yet and really it's going to get to the point where trades to recycle into the draft or fill holes become inevitable. 

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

I’ve been hard on Rooster this year too but I liked his game coming back from Covid 

That’s Rooster for ya...play couple good games and thn back to being useless for 10 straight games. 
Him and Virtanen are the two biggest dead weights on the team.

52 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Does Chatfield need to play? Why not Bowey instead?

Short of defensive injuries, I wouldn't be surprised if Bowey never sees action in a Canucks game.  It appears JB acquired him strictly to expose for the ED, which allows the team to protect Myers, OJ, and Schmidt.  If he doesn't get picked by Seattle, I suspect JB waives him to the AHL.  Chatfield has played pretty well the past two games, and gets better the more comfortable he gets.  He's an excellent skater, and although he makes a bad pinch every once in a while, generally he has the speed to get back into the play,  I wouldn't be surprised to see Chatfield as the 7th-8th DMan with the big club next year, if for no other reason than he'll be cheap for the cash-strapped team.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

That’s Rooster for ya...play couple good games and thn back to being useless for 10 straight games. 
Him and Virtanen are the two biggest dead weights on the team.

Yeah JV has no excuses. Rooster I thought was very effective for us before that brutal injury he had a couple years ago 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1