The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jake Virtanen placed on leave by the Canucks following sexual misconduct allegation

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, rekker said:

Could be. But I would hold on to JB till the draft. He's good at it, knows his scouts, etc. 

2 hours ago, Pickly said:

No way in hell would an owner can his GM after the draft. That’s some sleezy isht and good luck hiring anybody after pulling a move like that. 

Not only that, but what GM would want to come onto a team and take over reigns on a ship that has just cemented picks and probably already made trades as part of that as well?   Put in place by the GM who just let the door hit him on the way out? Some of the most important roster decisions in over a decade done, which will define Hughes and Petey's prime years here.  And tied this new GMs hands  somewhat for doing anything significant himself for awhile? 

Should have canned Jim before the TD this year.  (before last year's actually) He'll screw up the Tryamkin negotiations, I'm sure of it.  If he hasn't already.  JB has a way of slowly poisoning relationships.  Linden, Brackett...  Soon Ian Clark, and Travis Green will have had enough. And we'll lose another promising prospect in Nikita because of JB's "style".  Yeah, I think Tram would (haved) fill a huge hole on our team....literally.  People here are trying to rewrite history in diminishing how big an effect Nikita had when he was on the ice.

Either through ignoring / lack of communication, obliviousness to situations, assumptions about how patient players/agents can be,  personality gripes, power grabbing, no creativity, reactive vs pro-active, cuts of a thousand knives of a little too generous for a declining vet here....and ignorance of other  more important players/agents patience until its too late there,  always a day late and a dollar short, JB is dragging this team down.  I feel I have to add, that yes it could be worse. We have some bright young stars, but I also think this team could be waaaaaaaaaaaay more ahead of the game already if we'd had a more astute, inclusive, experienced GM for the last 7 years.  Enough already! 

As a long suffering fan I'm sick of my team always having to deal with some handicap. We have to deal with more demanding travel than most every team. We always seem to get screwed on the game schedule every season. Reffing especially during the 2011 run with all the ex Bruins running the league.  Other teams DOPS punishments don't seem comparable. (The epitome was Rome's outrageous suspension). Its like we already expect Edler to have gotten more than one game for that knee on knee, even though most pundits predicted one, or even just a fine.  Of course he gets an extra one thrown in. Its part of being a Canuck fan.  But ffs, we don't need the extra drag by having this kind of incompetence in our front office.

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

I would say, no matter how this plays out, Virtanen has likely played his last game as a Canuck. 

The embarrassment factor that comes with having a player even accused of sexual misconduct, it won't just be swept under the rug, he will either be traded or his contract will be terminated.

Yep

25 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

They are on record as saying there has been no complaint lodged. I watched the news this morning and Global news stated as such. 

that can change quickly.

Just have to wait and see how this all plays out. I'm sure the NHLPA is going to want to be in the loop as well at some point if the Canucks want to try the termination route. Many angles on this at the moment. 

2 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

I don't see this as being very accurate.

1. Drafting Jake over other, more talented players.

2. Signing Loui Eriksson to a ridiculous contract.

3. Drafting Olli Juolevi over Matthew Tkachuk.

4. Trading for Erik Gudbranson and overpaying for him.

5. Hunter Shinkaruk

6.Signing Brandon Sutter as a corner stone player.

7. Overpaying for Jay Beagle and Antoine Roussel.

8. Signing Tyler Myers to another ridiculous contract.

9. Overpaying Alex Edler.

10. Last offseason's brutal offseason, losing Toffoli for nothing.

11. Consistent lack of clear direction and actually saying he's taking things day by day which definitely shows in his inconsistent decisions.

12. Lack of communication with his players to let them know the plan moving forward.

13. Sam Gagne.

14. Michael Ferland.

15. Willie Desjardins.

Most importantly, don't forget 16......

16. Allowing Fin to run up the isle at a game last year and eat my son's popcorn

Seriously though..............Very accurate- good post!

5 minutes ago, garthsbutcher said:

I’m guessing the Canucks would love to be able to terminate this contract 

Hey, maybe they can trade him to Montreal for this guy named Toffoli ???  Almost make the same money and only a 30 point output difference.  I think Montreal's GM might go for that - Jim did !

Wha da ya think ????

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, garthsbutcher said:

I’m guessing the Canucks would love to be able to terminate this contract 

I’m sure they would live to but their hands are tied. 

The only way he gets terminated is if she gives a statement to the NHL or Canucks. Something that violated a behavioural clause.

At this point he is not being criminally investigated, but as others have pointed out, that can change at any moment.

I’m sure the NHLPA will make sure he doesn’t get his contract terminated with out some official claim. 

Everything is real early right now. We don’t know how this will play out. 

4 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Jake's style of play, or, what it was supposed to be, fast, hard and gritty, is something that all teams need to win. He just never matured.

Based on his past performance, 6 million per year was in line with his production. We should have kept it to a 4 year, maximum deal.

Both are good players, Juolevi is a little late getting to the league, due to injuries suffered after the draft. This is something that no GM can anticipate.

Meh...I'm sure Benning would like a redo on this one.

5. Hunter Shinkaruk

This wasn't a draft pick of Benning, was drafted by Mike Gillis.

Sutter was a good player before he got here, but ran into injury problems after the fact. He's probably had his best overall year, this season, has been effective, wouldn't mind seeing him back next season for around 1.75 million.

These were not overpayment, First year that Roussel was here, he put up solid numbers, almost .5 points per game, which is pretty good for a guy here to play a specific role. He hasn't been the same since the leg injury. Beagle, too many fans equate lack of point production to not being a good player. Beagle was brought in to help get our penalty killing under control and to instill his maintenance of fitness level on the younger players. I'd say he's accomplished what they brought him in for.

Nothing wrong with the contract he signed, just an example of fans being hyper critical and not understanding market value.

See answer to number 8

If Covid hadn't happened, we would have resigned Toffoli. Again, this is fans being hyper critical about stuff that no GM in this league had the ability to control. They made trade decisions based on immediate team needs and on the expectation that the cap was going up by about 3.5 million (as they were told 2 weeks before this trade). Suddenly covid sets in and it is what it is.

11. Consistent lack of clear direction and actually saying he's taking things day by day which definitely shows in his inconsistent decisions.

I think his direction is pretty clear. Draft well, fill holes while younger players develop in Junior and the AHL, to a stage where they are ready to step into the lineup. We just saw that happen with Lind and we're going to see Gadjovich get a shot in a little over a week and likely Rathbone as well. 

12. Lack of communication with his players to let them know the plan moving forward.

How he plans the team is between him, Green and Acqua. The fact that he made a trade to get support for his players last season and added Toffoli when it looked like Boeser was down for the season, IS communication with the players. Its telling them that you will do what's necessary to give them the best possible chance to compete.

13. Sam Gagne.

Had pretty good numbers, was signed as middle 6 depth. Not sure where your problem is here, he didn't fit in as well as hoped, it happens to every GM.

14. Michael Ferland.

Have no idea why you have a problem with Ferland. He doesn't effect us from a cap standpoint, he was cleared medically to play and continue his career. His contract has zero effect on our ability to manage the team, and if not for the concussion issue coming back he is exactly the type of player that the Canucks are really missing right now, and haven't really had since Dorsett was forced to retire, someone who will do anything to help the team. 

15. Willie Desjardins.

He was a transitional coach who had a history of developing young players. We could have hired Scotty Bowman, wouldn't have made a difference during that period of the team.

Other than my miss on Shinkaruk, I disagree on all points.

Oh, and I can now replace Shinkaruk with Nikita Tryamkin.

• Cheers 2

Just now, komodo0921 said:

Other than my miss on Shinkaruk, I disagree on all points.

Oh, and I can now replace Shinkaruk with Nikita Tryamkin.

Disagree with yours!

Tryamkin sat in an interview with the Canucks, pre draft and told them, through an interpreter, that he was committed to having a career in the NHL. So, you are holding Benning accountable for the fact that he changed his mind?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

Disagree with yours!

Tryamkin sat in an interview with the Canucks, pre draft and told them, through an interpreter, that he was committed to having a career in the NHL. So, you are holding Benning accountable for the fact that he changed his mind?

Yup.

Scouting sites were citing attitude problems as con to drafting him.

If these guys had it as part of their criticisms, one would think those in the know would see it. 

4 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

Yup.

If these guys had it as part of their criticisms, one would think those in the know would see it. 

Tryamkin was a 3rd round pick. When you draft in general, but especially, in the 3rd round, you know going in that its a crap shoot. Anyone you pick in the 3rd round have about 20% chance that they will play more than 100 games in the NHL and have any type of impact. So, if you have a player available who is 6'8" 250 lbs, great mobility and skating, and really great chance that he will have a positive effect on your future blueline, you draft him and try and make it work with him.

Too many fans in this city, expect clairvoyance from the GM running this team, and expect every decision that a GM makes to play out perfectly and for him to be able to foresee the future path of each player and the injuries or challenges that they will have.

Benning is not a perfect GM, but there isn't a perfect GM in the NHL. Every one of them has strengths and weaknesses and every one of them has signed contracts or made trades that they would like to undo.

Let's look at what Benning has managed to achieved.

Found Boeser, late in the first round

Got Lind and Gadjovich who are both promising draft picks, in the 2nd round.

Traded for Motte

Traded for Miller, a solid trade

Drafted Hoglander in the 2nd round

Got Schmidt for a 3rd round pick

Got possibly the best D in the 2018 draft

Got possibly the best overall player in the 2017 draft

Drafted Demko in the 2nd round

Drafted DiPietro in the 3rd round

Drafted Rathbone in the 4th round

Drafted Podkolzin

I've followed this team since the 70's, we have the DEEPEST prospect pool that this team has ever had, that's due to Benning implementing his guidelines of the type of players he wants to build the team around.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

Yup.

Lots of duds in that top 10 though.  Ehlers is the only good one after the top 3 before 11.  At least we aren't paying Nylander 7 million to be a lazy piece of trash.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 4

1 hour ago, Toyotasfan said:

Guilty or Innocent, I’m betting he never puts on a Canucks uniform again. My best guess is the Kracken 

I would've liked to get rid of Jake even before this rumor broke out, but now I fear that they'll keep him because prematurely cutting ties with him would go against the whole notion of innocent until proven guilty and could make the org look bad. 

Also, we can forget about him being claimed in the expansion draft. Good luck getting the Kracken to voluntarily take on a PR nightmare. 

2 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

I don't see this as being very accurate.

5. Hunter Shinkaruk

13. Sam Gagne.

14. Michael Ferland.

15. Willie Desjardins.

16.  Bottom feeder team still after 7 years.  You can even skip the first 15 if you want... it is a results league, not a development “try” league.  No other GM with a losing record like he has gets as much tenure as he has.  Bottom line is that the team is still bad and he has had 7 years to turn it around.  We are right there with Ottawa and Buffalo with the length of futility... and at least they had the excuse of not spending near the cap the entire time.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1