The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jake Virtanen placed on leave by the Canucks following sexual misconduct allegation

Rate this topic

11 hours ago, Drakrami said:

I am not taking a stance, but whenever I see things like... 

- Happened in 2017, 4 years ago. 

- Girl meets guy, guy takes her to hotel room. I mean come on. As a woman, a guy you are not familiar with takes you to a hotel room? And you still go willingly thinking nothing will happen? 

- It's freaking 2021, there is really no shame or barrier to report a sexual harrassment - right away. Not 4 years later. 

I mean it could be Virtanen is in the wrong here. But whenever I see points like the above it just sounds fishy to me. 

Curious, how do you think the dating scene and hook up scene work? 

You act like it’s not normal for guys, even girls, to take back the person they just met to their residence, usually a one night stand or a hook up. Sure as a guy, sex is the end goal but most normal people know that that’s not always the outcome. What’s not normal is to bring someone back to your residence and forcibly ask them to preform sexual acts just because they made the effort to come home with you.

Edited by Odd.

4 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Sure as a guy, sex is the end goal

Why do you feel it is ok to state this.

Are you somehow qualified to speak for all guy's motivations?

Seems like some sexist viewpoint, when you look at it.

• RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, on the cycle said:

3.5 years later. Why not earlier?

The fact that you can accuse someone years after with no witness testimony and no proof is worrying. People talk about protecting the victims but what if this is a false allegation? We should wait until all the facts come out and not assume guilt until proven.

interwebs and social media responses to any accusations in the world are always knee jerk reactions right from the get go and they are always 110% negative to the supposed accuser regardless of knowing the true facts first.

Also, what I would be curious to know, was there any alcohol or drugs consumed during their time together by either of them. Because if there was that does impede a person's judgement, does NOT make it right or okay but it does affect how you might perceive where things are heading vs what might actually be allowed to happen. Is there a transcript of the whole interaction with her and Jake from when/how they first met to how long and what they did together that lead them to being in a hotel room, which I would assume would have been later at night after some drinking/drugs or a night on the town.

So many unknowns, for the sanity of this forum I think the topic should be locked until there is an outcome on the case. Otherwise there will always be some posters that will ruffle the wrong feathers, people may have been assaulted on this forum in a similar situation or by family or have children who are at a vulnerable age where this could be them in this same situation at any time.

Sad thing is, our justice system FAILS big time in most situations...we reward criminals with free housing, medical/dental, education, food etc. Or give them the benefit of the doubt and give them a slap on the wrist, regardless if they are 1st time offenders or lifelong offenders...Things won't improve until major changes are made with the Judicial system

7 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

they are always 110% negative to the supposed accuser regardless of knowing the true facts first.

you are attempting to make a point, but have already lessened your impact by stating mathmatical falsehoods.

Now you have me asking for some sort of link to a story that comes close to stating your claim of "110%"

Why didn't you just stick to a safe "most times seem to be".?

Or simply read this thread and realize your 110% number is no where near what has happened on this thread.?

• RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, xereau said:

I've got a suspicion that Jimbo's gone the day after the last game.

The team's spiraled completely out of control, and this is how Aquilini will attempt to put out the flames.

Could be. But I would hold on to JB till the draft. He's good at it, knows his scouts, etc. 

5 minutes ago, rekker said:

Could be. But I would hold on to JB till the draft. He's good at it, knows his scouts, etc. 

No way in hell would an owner can his GM after the draft. That’s some sleezy isht and good luck hiring anybody after pulling a move like that. 

1 hour ago, Nucksownyou said:

She may be a girl, but she definitely needs her ass beat. Sorry that happened to you.

Beating someone like this up probably makes things worse because they go into victim mode and then crowd all the people they've brainwashed into thinking they're some kind of angel, around them like some kind of shield. 
Anyone reading this who's dealt with a true narcissist knows what I'm talking about. 
They are professionals.
People think "rape" and they see a big strong dude holding down a fragile little flower.... but rape has 1,000 faces. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Pickly said:

No way in hell would an owner can his GM after the draft. That’s some sleezy isht and good luck hiring anybody after pulling a move like that. 

I don't see an issue. You've paid him to compile the info, paid him to draft, paid him to leave. Not sure what's so sleazy about firing a GM after the draft.

Just now, rekker said:

I don't see an issue. You've paid him to compile the info, paid him to draft, paid him to leave. Not sure what's so sleazy about firing a GM after the draft.

Bad optics. “Hey so we are going to fire you but before that I want you at the helm of this years draft and once that’s over, see ya later.” Who the hell

would want to work for somebody like that? 

1 minute ago, Pickly said:

Bad optics. “Hey so we are going to fire you but before that I want you at the helm of this years draft and once that’s over, see ya later.” Who the hell

would want to work for somebody like that? 

I don't think it's unreasonable. I suppose we differ on that. 

10 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

It happened 3 1/2 years ago, pretty sure COVID wasn’t around back then and also a good example why people shouldn’t judge when they don’t have the facts.

Oh good to know it wasn’t Covid when he was dumbing it up.

Real good to know.

Dude’s a chump. Get rid of this kid pronto.

Enough is enough.

8 hours ago, cdgraham said:

I get what your saying, I really do. That being said, you are asking to be called out by others when you say stuff like "I thought he may have just molested her" lol 

It was a misunderstanding. But you can't seriously think touching a woman's ass who willingly went to a hotel room with you is as bad as raping her. 
The use of "sexual misconduct" here is somewhat misleading. What does that mean? Sexual harassment? Molestation? Unwanted advances? My original point was that there are a lot of gray areas to sexual misconduct whereas rape is more cut and dry. 
Do I regret my original point? Absolutely. I am extremely disappointed in Virtanen. 

• Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, rekker said:

Well, as been talked about before... Benning only makes the final descision wich is heavily influenced by his scouts.

30 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

It was a misunderstanding. But you can't seriously think touching a woman's ass who willingly went to a hotel room with you is as bad as raping her. 
The use of "sexual misconduct" here is somewhat misleading. What does that mean? Sexual harassment? Molestation? Unwanted advances? My original point was that there are a lot of gray areas to sexual misconduct whereas rape is more cut and dry. 
Do I regret my original point? Absolutely. I am extremely disappointed in Virtanen. 

100% agree with you Nave.  I leave you with an explanation of this trend from the brilliant mind of the late, great George Carlin.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I’m a bit confused.

The Vancouver Police Department and its Sex Crimes Unit has not received a complaint regarding this situation. 

Until a complaint is officially made. There will be no criminal investigation. 

I am assuming JV must be undergoing investigation for contravening some sort of NHL or Canucks policy. 

This will be interesting how this plays out. He could have his contract terminated based on a behaviour clause. 

Edited by grandmaster
  • Vintage 1

Point of it all is, I don’t see Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser, Höglander or Hughes getting into such a mess.

And that’s the point.

I was a huge proponent of keeping Virtanen and that, since he was drafted. But this kid is full of controversy.

• Cheers 1