The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will major things be done in the offseason to improve our team?

Rate this topic

CanucksFan8353

19 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

if being a GM was easy, we'ld all be doing it, like we do on our computers. what i see is a lot of differing opinions from many fans. should we poll all the fan's opinions and tell FA that he has to take the majority of our opinions and build his team accordingly? 

if they make a different path forward than my opinion, i wish them well, because my opinion ain't worth stink.

No one said the job is easy. But that doesnt mean everyone who happens to have the job is good at it either.

I have seen a lot of "ideas" from fans on here for many years. Some are laughable garbage in hindsight (even some of mine) but some actually hold up really well compared to the current state of our team.

Dismissing fans opinions because they arent the GM of a team is a pretty common theme to your posts. Fans are the ones who pay the bills. So paying attention to the kind of team your fans are willing to pay to see is an important consideration.

I would not personally pay 1 dollar to watch the team live this season or for several years in Bennings tenure. I am still a fan and watch them on tv and talk about them on here. But they are not a fun team to watch at all as constructed and with this coaching staff and its style of play. Or the previous one for that matter.

• Thanks 1

Will major things be done in the offseason to improve our team?

Long answer- probably not, as the actual things that can be done right now to improve the fortunes of the Vancouver Canucks are changes in management, ownership, but preferably both. 

Short answer-

0C2B04BC-2F60-4B35-A511-2CC064D614ED.gif

Team has a lot of what it needs on the roster or in-house. Some guys on the roster are playing too high up but can be kept and moved down. Needs to improve the middle-tier (i.e. 3C,3-5W) of forwards-specifically 3C and a better option at 3W. It's possible Hoglander can develop into a suitable 3W in time, or possibly Podkolzin further down the line. Upper tier (i.e.1C,2C,1W,2W)and "working class"(4C,6-8W) forwards are available on the roster or in the organization. 

In goal it appears as though Demko is the solution, with DiPietro a possible option down the road.

On defense it gets a little more difficult as the need there is somewhat bigger. As for the future, I think they could really use a 22+ minute right side guy but a substantial portion of the league could say the same thing. Hughes is obviously going to play a large role but I am curious to see if guys like Rathbone or Juolevi can become legitimate middle-tier defensemen. 

All in all, I think there are a lot of good pieces in place or that can be put in place but there needs to be some continued building in certain weak areas. I don't anticipate major roster changes, just hopefully an upgrade in these areas over the next 6-18 months. I'm sure people are freaking out because they're losing but people who can keep a cool head in a crisis can see there is lots to like with this team, especially if they can make those needed upgrades. I could ramble on with more thoughts but I'm going to wrap it up there.

Edited by BlastPast
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Sutter and Hamonic only make sense on shorter term, low dollar contracts. Hamonic has at most 4 teams he is willing to play for and has already been through 2 of them. That needs to limit his next contract for sure.

Highmore is not the answer. If you actually watch him yes he hustles but he also has very limited offensive ability and regularly blows his coverage in the defensive zone or overcommits. I would not say he is better than average defensively at this point. Maybe he improves but I just dont see anything from him to suggest he is worth keeping long term.

We need to have a few really cheap contracts to fill out the roster. Can you get much better than Highmore at $750k?

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

As a 4th liner in limited minutes? Sure why not. As a 3rd liner getting looks in the top 6? No thanks.

Yeah, I think that's reasonable. I like keeping Highmore next year as a high-effort, bargain bin 4th liner. 

Just stay the course (OP).   The only thing id do is give Rathbone a solid tryout.   IF and this is a huge IF, he could do 75% of what QHs can do, and 100% of what Stecher could do, i'd consider cutting bait with a major trade.   If not, which i'm suspecting is probably the case, just maintain the status quo, keep our players safe and away from injuries that could affect them next year and prepare for the draft and next season in our wimpy half of our own division.   That's about it.  Lind is getting his turn, Gads is getting his soon too.   Complain a lot about whatever.  JB is a curse and all that TG a pee wee coach.  Am I doing this right?   

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

No one said the job is easy. But that doesnt mean everyone who happens to have the job is good at it either.

I have seen a lot of "ideas" from fans on here for many years. Some are laughable garbage in hindsight (even some of mine) but some actually hold up really well compared to the current state of our team.

Dismissing fans opinions because they arent the GM of a team is a pretty common theme to your posts. Fans are the ones who pay the bills. So paying attention to the kind of team your fans are willing to pay to see is an important consideration.

I would not personally pay 1 dollar to watch the team live this season or for several years in Bennings tenure. I am still a fan and watch them on tv and talk about them on here. But they are not a fun team to watch at all as constructed and with this coaching staff and its style of play. Or the previous one for that matter.

your opinion is just as valid as mine.  i just don't believe you decide the teams  direction by what the fans say. if FA cleans house, so be it. it shouldn't be my evaluation of players that drives the direction he takes. this board is about opinions. we all have them. it doesn't mean that any of us are right. it doesn't matter which fans are right, but what ownership has planned. i just want fans to except that their opinions are just opinions and not something FA can take to the bank.

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Sean83 said:

I think I saw something months ago on twitter that FA said Benning and Green are safe no matter what happened this season. 

I don't know about Benning because he is under contract (for 2 more years?) but my guess is that Green and his staff will not be brought back. Or at the least, they will explore other options.

Team's overall play has not improved as much as we had hoped even with infusion of good talent.

The offensive zone puck control has been poor as can be seen from low shot totals (as flawed as Corsi is, if it is that bad for 4 years, it's telling something).

The number of high danger chances surrendered is also staggering. 

In short, Green has been an OK coach and the team has improved slightly over the years but we should look to upgrade if possible.

Something needs to be done as the core is entering it's window now and if we don't ice a playoff team until 2022-2023 like Benning is talking about, our core will be on the other side of it's peak.  29 is almost ancient by NHL standards (That's how old Bo will be in 2024).  That's the age when Sid won his FINAL cup to put it in perspective.  

If we want to save the window for this team, wholesale changes need to be made. 

Petey and Hughes are basically our Toewes and Kane. I would measure the window in terms of EP and QH's age (22 and 21). Bo will play an important role as did Hossa did for Chicago and being 29 in 2024 won't be an issue as EP and QH would be the centre pieces.

Bad contracts need to be dumped.  Hughes/Petterson need to be signed to financially advantageous for both sides deals.  Improvements to the team beyond that also need to be made.  If you listen to the Sportsnet 650 podcasts, there's also the fact that Vancouver has developed a reputation of a place where management treats its players poorly, exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic but precipitated by gems like Benning saying "I ran out of time" to sign Toffoli and letting Tanev, Markstrom and Stecher walk (3 of the pillars of this team's success last year and in the bubble) to the most precious gem of all "we do things day by day around here." 

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the media guys. A lot of the times, they are just speculating. But yes, JB did screw up by losing all 3 marquee UFAs. I don't know any team can maintain their previous level of play after losing three high quality roster players. Going back to Green, this is where Green gets some benefit of the doubt as he lost stability/chemistry in the roster that he established up to last season.

Benning has shown himself wholly incapable of making this team a success during his entire tenure here IMO.  Since FA has said management and coaching is safe, though, I'm not sure what we're going to do to improve? Also, why is FA content with the status quo of no playoffs and finishing near last in the league year after year after year? 

Benning improved the team prior to 2020 season by getting JT Miller, exact type of winger needed on the first line to play with EP and BB. 

He also signed Myers, brought in Motte. 

I think JB is capable of improving the team. 

Even for 2020-21 season, he got Hamonic and Schmidt, which can be considered an upgrade over Tanev and Stecher. In hindsight, he just screwed up by not retaining Toffoli, which was an obvious and easy way to complete the top 6, especially given that in his audition at the end of 2019-20 season, Toffoli did well with the players we have here (10 points in 10 games).

Also, it's likely that Petterson and Hughes will want to play on contending teams.  I trust that FA will realize that he will lose them after their likely bridge deals are up because they are not going to want to stay in a dumpster fire situation like this.  

I think EP and QH wants to be the core of their own contending teams, not piggy back on another contending team. I'm not worried about them, at least for now and for a couple of seasons.

TBH, I think part of the reason why we sucked this season is because QH gives up the puck so cheaply on many occasions, leading to high danger chances. As great as he is, he still needs to improve on puck management before he can become truly elite. 

This offseason is our chance to right the ship.  Benning and Green need to be chased out of Vancouver with pitchforks to be honest.  That's the first, essential albeit far from only key, to trying to win a cup with this current core.  Getting a GM and coach who our players know view them like family and who are truly committed to having a excellent work environment for the players and their families will go a long way.  It'll also help us sign UFA's that can help put this core, which is beyond stellar, over the hump.  Item #2 on the list should be to hire a GM that will not trade away picks just to try to get into 1 playoff one-and-done round year after year.

Not disagreeing that both JB and TG should share some blame. I think we change the coaches first and see what JB does this offseason. If he is unable to improve the team, then he will be let go by the next off season. EP and QH will still only be 23 and 22 years old.

I think some bad contracts will be bought out or LTIR'd to create some cap flexibility.

QH won't get more than 6. EP will get around 6 on a short term deal, and around 8-8.5 on a longer term deal in my opinion. 

JB needs to decide on how to improve our bottom 6 depth including finding 2 centers to replace Sutter (UFA) and Beagle (LTIR).

Winger depth needs to be improved especially with the likely departure of Jake Virtanen. We have Podkolzin coming in, who should be able to make a difference like Hoglander did. We will also have Lind and maybe Gadjovich. 

We need to find another RHD, at the minimum, bring Hamonic back. It would be great if we can find some cap space to sign a defensively minded RHD via UFA like David Savard or Adam Larsson.

Miller-EP-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander

Motte-3C-Podkolzin

Highmore-4C-Lind

MacEwen

Gadjovich

Hughes, Schmidt, Juolevi, Myers

Re-sign Edler, bring in Tryamkin, sign a RHD to complete the defence.

8 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

your opinion is just as valid as mine.  i just don't believe you decide the teams  direction by what the fans say. if FA cleans house, so be it. it shouldn't be my evaluation of players that drives the direction he takes. this board is about opinions. we all have them. it doesn't mean that any of us are right. it doesn't matter which fans are right, but what ownership has planned. i just want fans to except that their opinions are just opinions and not something FA can take to the bank.

When did I say differently? 

You do know that ownership and management can have $&!#ty plans and be wrong too, right? I would argue that Aquilini and Benning are far more day to day reactive than they should be and their opinions are ehat matter like you say. I have no confidence in either to actually have a cohesive plan for the team.

Good companies and management do, in fact, pay attention to what their customers want. Hockey teams are no different.

Let Edler walk, he's slow and takes bad penalties. His first fight the other day was not good. My concern is that what physicality he brought before will be lost. He may play more timid. I hope not. I think the Canucks can fill that spot with someone better for less money. Enough with the sentimentality, they need to build a winner.

Demote Benning to Head Scout, and get a new GM who can manage the cap and make smart trades and signings. 

Fire all of the assistant coaches, keep Green, for now.

Vesey, Boyd, Hawryluk and Michaelis are bad. Don't sign any of them. Highmore has been okay and he deserves a shot. 

Get Lind, Gadjovich and Rathbone into the lineup next season (for some games anyway). I'd also like to see Podkolzin and our 1st this year on the roster. Getting Guenther or Beniers would be cool. 

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Let Edler walk, he's slow and takes bad penalties. His first fight the other day was not good. My concern is that what physicality he brought before will be lost. He may play more timid. I hope not. I think the Canucks can fill that spot with someone better for less money. Enough with the sentimentality, they need to build a winner.

Demote Benning to Head Scout, and get a new GM who can manage the cap and make smart trades and signings. 

Vesey, Boyd, Hawryluk and Michaelis are bad. Don't sign any of them. Highmore has been okay and he deserves a shot. 

Get Lind, Gadjovich and Rathbone into the lineup next season (for some games anyway). I'd also like to see Podkolzin and our 1st this year on the roster. Getting Guenther or Beniers would be cool. 

I'd sign Hawryluk as an extra, he has been okay too. I'd keep him since we'll need some bodies for next year since we won't have cap to sign any UFAs.

Gonna have to eventually transition away from Edler so I agree we should move on. It is inevitable and OJ/Rathbone are already knocking on the door. Yeah we'll go through growing pains but they are necessary.

Next year will be a transitioning year with the 2nd tier of young players making the jump. It probably won't be a pretty year but we'll have to make due. The kids need to play and we have to wait another season for more cap space. We'll at least probably be drafting top 10 again.

I don't think we should bring up our 1st this year unless he's ready. I don't think there will be anybody good enough to step in right away. This draft is weaker with a lack of superstar talent that could step in right away but there's still some high end prospects in the top of the draft. Probably be 1-2 years for this year's pick to make the NHL.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Nah Edler won't stop playing the way he does.   Yes he's lost a step, no he won't stop cross-checking players out of the crease.   He dropped the gloves too.   Knew what was coming.  And tooks his licks.   Simmonds took it easy on him, could have KOed him.   Didn't lose any respect for doing that, i'm sure he felt bad for hurting Hyman.   Not a good old Canadian boy in the ring, but took a lot of guts to do it anyways.   To me it's just the money.   At a small cap hit he'd be a good re-signing.   Play him 16-18 minutes a game his warts wouldn't show as much.   That said if it was between him and Hamonic at close to the same cap hit (reasonable), with the glut of LHD's we have it wouldn't be an easy call. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, IBatch said:

We aren't "screwed".   Canucks are a young team and will be for another 3-4 years.   Then we will be a mature team, with playoff experience (we'd better!), ready to contend.    That's the cycle.   Pearson won't be around for that.  Neither will Myers.   Probably not Miller and maybe not Horvat too.  The team that we have that will contend with this core, won't look much of anything like this one does now.    Think of this team like the one we had when Luongo first came in.    Really it's not even quite there yet but close enough.   That's where we are right now in our cycle.   Except EP/QHs/BB have shown a lot more then the Sedins did ... Why this team reminds me more of our very early 90's team more then any other.   Just don't have the quality of vets we did back then, but we have more young bodies so there is hope too.   12 million sitting on the bench should give this team a chance before their true window is even open. 

That’s 10 years man. 10 years of disappointment

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Nah Edler won't stop playing the way he does.   Yes he's lost a step, no he won't stop cross-checking players out of the crease.   He dropped the gloves too.   Knew what was coming.  And tooks his licks.   Simmonds took it easy on him, could have KOed him.   Didn't lose any respect for doing that, i'm sure he felt bad for hurting Hyman.   Not a good old Canadian boy in the ring, but took a lot of guts to do it anyways.   To me it's just the money.   At a small cap hit he'd be a good re-signing.   Play him 16-18 minutes a game his warts wouldn't show as much.   That said if it was between him and Hamonic at close to the same cap hit (reasonable), with the glut of LHD's we have it wouldn't be an easy call. 

I agree that we should slowly phase Edler out. Bring him back on 1- or 2-year contracts at lower cap hit.

Play him for 17-20 minutes to start next season and by the end of the season he could be playing less minutes as a reliable bottom pairing dman that can kill penalties and help eat up tough minutes so that young players don't get thrown to the wolves.