The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers l May 3, 7 p.m. l SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Need the cap space and more mobility.

Everyone says we have no one to replace his minutes, but how much do we really have to replace when we have the worst defensive numbers in the league?

Time to get bigger, younger and more mobile on the back end.

Edler is 35 and will only regress.  Keeping him for nostalgia is a bad idea.

Bieksa was let go when his time came.  All older core guys eventually get let go if you want to get younger and improve.  

4 minutes ago, Heretic said:

True, but the Canucks have never officially gotten the #1 pick.  Even when we came into the league - we lost the spin of the wheel...and picked 2nd.  
Sabres got hall of famer superstar Perreault, we got Dale Talon, who was only a Canuck for 3 years...

Dale Tallon was a legit talent though.  Sure, not a franchise player like Perreault but if management didn't screw around with Tallon's development (moving him from defense to center & back again, then changing their minds again), he likely would've even got better.  Could actually use a player like him on our blueline today (just don't have Green move to to center lol).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Do people honestly see this season as a realistic reflection of where we are at?  At one point, earlier in the season, we had played 3 more games than the next closest team and at least 5 more than most teams. We hadn't even had two consecutive days off yet. We had a somewhat normal schedule in the middle sandwiched between two very condensed schedules.
We also started the season with every D pairing having a new partner, two of the top pairing D were new to our system. We didn't have the practise time to acclimatize them to our team game or make meaningful adjustments. You could see the effect in action after our opponents got practise time. They studied our tendencies and jumped on us when we tried to make those quick plays at the bluelines and from out of our d zone corners. We didn't make adequate adjustments because we couldn't get practise time in.
We played well in the middle of the season when we were healthy and finally got some rest and practise time.

Then we had the Covid outbreak. Not only does our team have to recover from the Covid, they have to play after a month of no hockey. They are not in top game shape like our opponents are!!!!!  The snivellers are already ignoring that part. Add missing six starting players.

I am actually proud of how our guys have responded. I'm sure they want to win more than we do. They don't give up even though the odds are stacked against them.

A big problem with this fanbase is the fact we have become complacent and are ok with losing. This franchise hasn’t won a thing over fifty years and some people are ok with that. Losing is losing. It’s what this fanbase has become accustomed to. I don’t get why people are ok with losing but they are.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

4 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I’ve never seen them. Was so excited.  Friggen covid 

It’s an incredible experience. They are precise and epic to watch. I suggest finding a way to see them if we ever get out of this mess 

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

They dont have to be long term to be bad contracts though. 

Remember, he was trying hard to get OEL and his terrible contract last offseason. Those kind of things worry me a lot. 

I would rather see a new GM start with a good prospect pool and cap space upcoming to make changes. Because our roster outside of a handful of players is pretty terrible.

If Benning signs a bunch of 3 year deals for marginal players then gets fired, the new GM will be stuck with them. Its better to give a new GM the flexibility. Benning has drafted a decent core group. Now the team needs someone who knows how to build around it. 

I am good with the young guys playing next year. But I am willing to bet Benning and Green if he comes back wont be. More vets will be signed or re-signed this offseason.

That is my fear too.

If Aquaman hesitates, Benning could do serious damage over the summer.

Benning should be fired the minute the last second expires in the Canuck's last game this year.

16 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I can’t remember but you probably had to get a ticket to the whole festival. That was an incredible line-up. Everything from every genre. Tom, Nine inch nails, jay-z, coldplay to name a few. Trying to remember but there was probably others up you alley as well. Anyways give you an idea of the variety 

Yeah, that's kinda what I recall. Didn't win me over enough ... especially throwing in a long drive and an overnighter sleeping on a picnic table out in the sticks somewhere. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Devron44 said:

It’s an incredible experience. They are precise and epic to watch. I suggest finding a way to see them if we ever get out of this mess 

If they reschedule the tour I’ll definitely try to get tickets again.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

You are entitled to your opinion.

But I personally think that if they were coached properly, Petey, Horvat, Boeser, Miller, Hoglander and one of our developing talents would make an excellent top six.

The issue is defense.

#97 is making the current Canuck defense look bad... because they are poorly coached.

The way you stop McDavid is by hitting him before he crosses the blueline.

When was the last time you saw a Canuck D step up and hit McDavid?  Edler did that earlier in the year... but that was a long time ago.

And the forward who is covering McDavid has to hit him regularly and piss him off... that is not happening.

The problem with the team defense is not just the defensemen. Our forwards lose their check a lot leaving guys wide open to sneak in. 

I said it after the Toronto game. Other teams know if they get one of our D to go into the corner to get the puck they can overload him and turn the puck over and the Canuck forwards will be cheating toward the blue line for a breakout while leaving someone wide open. 

Its happened multiple times the last several games.

1 minute ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

That is my fear too.

If Aquaman hesitates, Benning could do serious damage over the summer.

Benning should be fired the minute the last second expires in the Canuck's last game this year.

I am hoping a new GM gets the whole offseason to get some things done. As long as its not an even bigger moron like Chiarelli or Fenton.

Just now, Jack Fig said:

Yeah, that's kinda what I recall. Didn't win me over enough ... especially throwing in a long drive and an overnighter sleeping on a picnic table out in the sticks somewhere. 

Yeah I get that. I haven’t really found a lineup like that since. It’s not really worth planning a vacation over unless there’s artist you enjoy for most of the event 

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The problem with the team defense is not just the defensemen. Our forwards lose their check a lot leaving guys wide open to sneak in. 

I said it after the Toronto game. Other teams know if they get one of our D to go into the corner to get the puck they can overload him and turn the puck over and the Canuck forwards will be cheating toward the blue line for a breakout while leaving someone wide open. 

Its happened multiple times the last several games.

Yep, but defense is coaching and accountability.

As far as offensive talent is concerned, Horvat, Petey, Boes, Miller and Hoglander have the goal scoring chops and are capable of doing better.

2 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

A big problem with this fanbase is the fact we have become complacent and are ok with losing. This franchise hasn’t one a thing and people are ok with that. Losing is losing. It’s what this fanbase has become accustomed to. I don’t get why people are ok with losing but they are.

The fan base is polarized.  Half want changes and think we have been patient enough and don't see any direction from current management and coaching.

The other half cling to the belief that doing nothing is less scary and therefore better.  Complacency breads mediocrity and that is what costs  $225 a ticket. Laughable.

10 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Here's the thing....you get "a prospect" but the "grade A" part isn't so easy to come by.    People get hung up on prospects like they're golden tickets.

Grumpy pants = doesn't like to lose and that's ok by me.   

ya but we are losing and players on cheap entry level contracts are how you win. If benning didnt handcuff the team with sutter eriksson myers ferland edler  baertchi  benn   beagle roussel contracts  combined thats 38 mill we could  bring in grade a talent  like  pietrangelo and a few ufas  like  landeskog and hamilton to help but thats not  the case.  We are stuck with plugs. 

• Cheers 1