The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers l May 4, 7 p.m. l SNP | RINSE&REPEAT EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

29 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

McDavid has 39 points in 27 career games vs the Canucks. Doesn't look like we've had much luck stopping him over his career vs the Canucks so far?

But yea, they'll do better than the collection of garbage currently in the lineup. 

Not since Dorsett left. He seemed to be able to get McDavid off his game.

All things being equal, if Jake was better defensively (and not likely leaving the team), his speed would have been a good match up, but he doesn't bring enough attitude to the ice. The video below, that's the Jake Virtanen that we needed for the last 3 seasons.

• Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, khay said:

Agree. The bottom 6 guys do a good job of keeping the opponent's best players in check in general. Other team's spare parts (Boyd, Vesey, etc) clearly don't eat up the tough minutes very well like Beagle, Motte, etc.

And we will need to replace two centers Sutter (UFA) and Beagle(likely LTIR) for next season. That will be a tough task.

Although I'm also not worried about the games like last night or even previous games against Toronto and Sens, the concerning thing is that the team has always been outshot and out-chanced even with full lineup.

As serviceable as they have been, if we can upgrade on some of these "foundational" players, we should upgrade.

I don't think there's much chance of 'upgrading' in the FA market.   Which means going to the trade market.  Which is why I'd probably bring back as much of that foundation as possible - because this team is still at a stage of integrating a whole lot of youth - and needing veterans that can eat hard minutes.

In time they'll probably be able to 'transition' to a somewhat different look in the bottom six - as the group matures - perhaps moving towards a 3rd line that is less hard minutes and more secondary scoring/two way oriented. 

But that timeline imo was set back - which I agree with - in large part because of the bottleneck the build faced last summer.  It was faced with dual circumstances that dictated imo - first was Demko or Markstrom (Demko and Markstrom / the tandem wasn't really an option moving forward with the expansion draft looming).  I think the right decision was made but it was a domino one to a certain extent.  Imo that realligned the team's trajectory along Demko's lines - and in line with the timelines of their emerging young core - who are still well away from their 'primes'.  As much as it hurt to lose Marky, Toffoli and Tanev - the reality of the e.d. and the covid cap stall overlapped with some bad timing for this team's shorter term results.  A whole lot depended on this team's health this year - and needless to say - things couldn't have gone much more wrong.

I thought Tanev 'should' have been the priority - for reasons I've stated repeatedly - first being the importance of a 'foundational' partner for Hughes - the second being his principal importance in dealing with players like McMe1st etc - extremely difficult to 'replace' is top end effectiveness in limiting players like that.  As much as I love Toffoli's game - the reality was that he came at the position of most youth wealth imo - he's not the only RW casualty - the team also really had nowhere to play Gaudette.  If the team retained Toffoli, it meant a bottleneck of youth RW (Boeser, Hoglander, Podkolzin...)  I can see why they took the loss in that case and looked towards a trajectory a few years down the line (a more cost effective one as well - that depends on the development/emergence of youth - which, really, will be this team's bread and butter if it hopes to contend in the future...).  I'd prefer to take our chances on what Hoglander becomes as opposed to prioritize shorter term results with Toffoli.  But that's the long game, and most people are more obsessed with the immediate fishbowl.

Regardless, basically - I'd 'expect' that a few more years of transition 'foundation' is in order - and personally I'm in favour of a hard to play against / hard to score against bottom six - as opposed to track meet teams that look for secondary scoring = I don't think this team is there yet, and running and gunning with some teams is not a good idea - at least not yet....

• Cheers 3

36 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

McDavid has 39 points in 27 career games vs the Canucks. Doesn't look like we've had much luck stopping him over his career vs the Canucks so far?

But yea, they'll do better than the collection of garbage currently in the lineup. 

woosh. 

you've answered a point about specific/particular context with a generalization/averaging point - that has zero relevance to the point you avoided.

just a tiny difference - like the difference between a 1 pt game - and a 4 pt game - ie that wouldn't make any difference in results - would it.

Edited by oldnews

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

He will likely extend Sutter. And on the right contract thats fine by me. But nothing in his MO suggests he will ask Sutter to sign for 1 year at 1.75. Probably 3 years at 3 mil at the absolute lowest. I expect 2 years, 4 mil per for Edler at the lowest. Both with trade protection too.

I really hope I am wrong.

I wouldn't be adverse to having Sutter signed for more than 1 year at a rate lower than 1.75. There will be deals out there this summer. As long as we didn't have to give Sutter a NTC, or nothing more than a limited NTC, like 8 teams that he can refuse trade to, I wouldn't mind him even at 1.5 million per for 2 seasons or 1.25 million per for 3.

He was derailed in Vancouver by Injuries. This season and last, have been some of his most effective time in Vancouver. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

No, no. I packed it in and started going outside in the sun and doing summer things. Hockey is now an afterthought until the fall. Liberation ... catch it!

My parents have me locked up in the attic.  Is Pierre Trudeau still PM?

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

He will likely extend Sutter. And on the right contract thats fine by me. But nothing in his MO suggests he will ask Sutter to sign for 1 year at 1.75. Probably 3 years at 3 mil at the absolute lowest. I expect 2 years, 4 mil per for Edler at the lowest. Both with trade protection too.

I really hope I am wrong.

wait what ????
No extra Mil for Tryamkin but 4M for Edler who 4 times out of 5 is completly lost with the speed of today game ? 

• RoughGame 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I agree, Fig. I've been walking, doing IHIT treadmill training, and weights. As well, I'm keeping up on my six-string practice. Once I sit down in front of my Marshall, it's amazing how time flies. I give the Canucks some of my time, but know that it's a negligible percentage. My main reason for being on the boards is to fire off the odd joke and lighten the mood whenever possible. And to be a surly realist.

Live large, Blunt. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I wouldn't be adverse to having Sutter signed for more than 1 year at a rate lower than 1.75. There will be deals out there this summer. As long as we didn't have to give Sutter a NTC, or nothing more than a limited NTC, like 8 teams that he can refuse trade to, I wouldn't mind him even at 1.5 million per for 2 seasons or 1.25 million per for 3.

He was derailed in Vancouver by Injuries. This season and last, have been some of his most effective time in Vancouver. 

No more ntc for support players, even limited ones. A limited ntc in the current environment is essentially the same as a full one. There might only be a handful of teams interested in and able to take on a guy like that. Even a 5 team lntc can make a guy untradeable, especially if he is overpaid and has too much term.

9 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Hoglander - Horvat - Lind

Motte - XX - Podkolzin

Gadjovich - XX - XX

Hughes - XX

Schmidt - Myers

Juolevi - Rathbone

XX

Bowey

Slowly getting there

I don't think there will much change to the defence core next season, but I could see a reasonable change to the forward group, especially to the bottom-six and there will be some decisions to be made there.