The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers l May 4, 7 p.m. l SNP | RINSE&REPEAT EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

REFEREES

Marc Joannette #25
MJ25.jpg
Eric Furlatt #27
EF27.jpg
Games ’20-21 45 45
Games ’19-20 (Reg/PO) 63 / 8 30 / 11
Career Games (Reg/PO) 1407 / 168 1250 / 139
First NHL Game 10/1/99 10/8/01
Birthplace Verdun, QC Trois-Rivieres, QC

LINESMEN

Michel Cormier #76
 MC76.jpg
Kiel Murchison #79
KM79.jpg
Games ’20-21 42 44
Games ’19-20 (Reg/PO) 31 / 12 64 / 17
Career Games (Reg/PO) 1142 / 74 583 / 34
First NHL Game 10/10/03 1/21/13
Birthplace Trois-Rivieres, QC Cloverdale, BC

Honestly wasn’t expecting Rathbone till we were mathematically out lol.

Im actually excited to watch the game tonight. I could really use some goals against diver Smith as well 

2 hours ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

your saying that Juolevi is a miss? Virtanen certainly but Joulevi?

I guess that's your opinion

IMHO it is time for a change and the team i'm seeing last few games is not a competitive nhl team. 

next year will be interesting

Juolevi isnt a miss in the sense of being a bust. Neither is Virtanen to be honest.

But a miss in terms of their draft position and those taken after them and who were considered consensus pick at their spot. History has only showed what most said at the time.

If you are going to say Benning's judgment led to his draft wins you have to also say his judgment led to a couple of high first round misses.

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Likely Joulevi

I would rest a vet like Myers who took some rough bumps last game and play 2 youngsters but that’s just me. 

Hopefully Greener at least plays him more than 10-12 minutes. Can’t have the top 4 playing 20+ all the time with this schedule. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Juolevi isnt a miss in the sense of being a bust. Neither is Virtanen to be honest.

But a miss in terms of their draft position and those taken after them and who were considered consensus pick at their spot. History has only showed what most said at the time.

If you are going to say Benning's judgment led to his draft wins you have to also say his judgment led to a couple of high first round misses.

Well considering we coulda drafted sergachev instead i kinda feel its a miss. Dude is already one of the best young dman in the league. Lets hope jouveli proves himself in the next couple years.

7 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

regardless  every 1st rounder benning has picked has played a nhl game   except podkolzin and he will play in sept  mich better than alot of other gms 

37 minutes ago, austy said:

Re Lind, he has looked ok. Without the puck he does a fair bit of gliding around which I guess is pretty common for a young guy. Once the puck is on his stick he makes.some pretty decent plays though . Almost had a nice assist last night. 

One bad give away at own blue line led to goal against. Agree about the gliding but more likely a bit lost on the game plan as to his responsibilities without the puck. Otherwise did Ok but not top 6 level. Not sure why he was played there. Some coaching issues.

50 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

10 more games with a depleted line up to conclude this year's journey. losing is tough on everyone, especially the players. as long as they keep trying, i'll journey with them. 

I have to 100% agree. Just put in a effort.

Just now, canuktravella said:

regardless  every 1st rounder benning has picked has played a nhl game   except podkolzin and he will play in sept  mich better than alot of other gms 

plus he finds  gems  in  

demko lind focht tryamkin mcdonagn hoglander brisebois forsling mcann costmar woo utunen gaudette jasek gad dipietro rathbone  in seven yrs  look at oilers success in last 7 its insanely bad even with 4 first overalls  15 players by tonight have played a game 16 once gads gets a game in 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

plus he finds  gems  in  

demko lind focht tryamkin mcdonagn hoglander brisebois forsling mcann costmar woo utunen gaudette jasek gad dipietro rathbone  in seven yrs  look at oilers success in last 7 its insanely bad even with 4 first overalls  15 players by tonight have played a game 16 once gads gets a game in 

oilers in last 7 yrs have had 8 drafted players get a game in  thats it and three of then were top 5 picks overall. mcdavid draisatl pooleparty 

14 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

Thats why i said drafting has been good but not godly or cant miss to the point where his deficiencies in managing the cap, pro scouting, contract negotiations, roster building, and asset management should be ignored or excused.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, canuktravella said:

oilers in last 7 yrs have had 8 drafted players get a game in  thats it and three of then were top 5 picks overall. mcdavid draisatl pooleparty 

They also drafted not one but two elite, game changing players. 

Benning has drafted some gems in the later rounds but has also discarded a lot of them with littke to nothing to show for it that helps the roster now or in the future. The end result is the same as busting on those picks.

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

They also drafted not one but two elite, game changing players. 

Benning has drafted some gems in the later rounds but has also discarded a lot of them with littke to nothing to show for it that helps the roster now or in the future. The end result is the same as busting on those picks.

ya. benning would  have even more elite players if he pickked 1st overal 3rd 4th  plus early 2nd3rds    best puck i think benning had is 6th overall in virtanen  we didnt have luxury of chance mcdavid  but still got boeser petey and hughes  plus  oilers  have had 4 player outside the 1st round play actually nhl games   

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

ya. benning would  have even more elite players if he pickked 1st overal 3rd 4th  plus early 2nd3rds    best puck i think benning had is 6th overall in virtanen  we didnt have luxury of chance mcdavid  but still got boeser petey and hughes  plus  oilers  have had 4 player outside the 1st round play actually nhl games   

i actually an wrong the oilers in 7 yrs have only drafted 2 players  outside the 1st round that have player nhl games benson and bear thats it 

• Cheers 1