The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Suspended 1 Game] MacEwen to have hearing for kneeing Oilers' Nurse

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Its not McDavid's toughness. Its more the fact that the only player on our team who would do it is Mac.

Wouldnt mind seeing Hamonic punch the $&!# out of McDavid though.

We do have another player who could take McDavid out...  

BE6FD3D6-3BBA-4CF6-AFBA-C677F5F59689.gif

5 hours ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

Oilers fans on Reddit are calling Canucks fans racist as a result of this incident. Says there must have been racial undertones to the whole thing hahahah

The funny thing  is, not only is it untrue, but, the comments are coming from the most racist province in Canada, rivaling the most racist states in America.

I used to live there and worked in the gas fields. I've never heard filth like they can talk, not only about different ethnicities but also the LGBTQ community and children.

Obviously, it doesn't apply to all Albertans but, imo, there's a higher percentage of racists, bigots, chauvinists, and self-absorbed narcissist's that make even the most arrogant Ontarian look like a pussycat.

They should look in the mirror before throwing out racism as reasoning for our displeasure.

As for the suspension; it's a joke and shows the true bias that exists in the NHL.

Macewen, a relative nobody in the league is punished for, what amounts to a nudge that didn't even make contact, on a player who is a rising star.

Parros grossly botched the Wilson affair and now has an opportunity to, laughably, try to save his image (which isn't working) so he throws a joke of a suspension at Macewen.

Unfortunately, all we can do is laugh at Parros for the moron he is and move on. 

• Cheers 3

40 minutes ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

It was a love tap. How is this a suspy but there’s not a peep about the Mcdavid elbow to Schmidt’s face? One is clearly worse than the other. 

Well the reason it's suspension worthy is you can't drag your knee and hit someone in the face with your knee. People get elbowed all the time, and he's McDavid. I'm a huge Canuck fan but in hockey you can elbow people in the face and get away with it, but it's a lot harder to extend the knee to someone's face. It's predatory in a more serious fashion, like it or not. I have no problem with it.

DOPS is right, it's predatory and has no place in the game, despite how soft the intentions.

McDavid's hit was worse but hockey is what it is. I was merely saying it's deserved in it's own judgement. If you want to start comparing it to the rest of the league and suspensions go ahead. But that will get you no where.

Does that that mean a little knee to the face is alright if you barely hit him. What about the playoffs, where you draw the line on approved knee to face contact?

It's like this. You can fake throw at punch a someone and the league will turn the other cheek but if you pretend to baseball swing someone's head off with your stick you're correctly getting suspended, and hopefully learn your lesson. 

If you want to cheap shot someone, do it later on and when no one's looking.

:lol: :canucks:

Edited by Gawdzukes

8 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Well the reason it's suspension worthy is you can't drag your knee and hit someone in the face with your knee. People get elbowed all the time, and he's McDavid. I'm a huge Canuck fan but in hockey you can elbow people in the face and get away with it, but it's a lot harder to extend the knee to someone's face. It's predatory in a more serious fashion, like it or not. I have no problem with it.

DOPS is right, it's predatory and has no place in the game, despite how soft the intentions.

McDavid's hit was worse but hockey is what it is. I was merely saying it's deserved in it's own judgement. If you want to start comparing it to the rest of the league and suspensions go ahead. But that will get you no where.

Does that that mean a little knee to the face is alright if you barely hit him. What about the playoffs, where you draw the line on approved knee to face contact?

I don’t think most people have any issue with the suspension by itself. The problem comes from comparing this incident with other recent decisions. If DOPS acted consistently to protect players health and safety this would pretty much be a non-story.

For example, is this predatory?

58pysc.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

It's like this. You can fake throw at punch a someone and the league will turn the other cheek but if you pretend to baseball swing someone's head off with your stick you're correctly getting suspended, and hopefully learn your lesson. 

If you want to cheap shot someone, do it later on and when no one's looking.

:lol: :canucks:

There was an angle that clearly shows Mac's skate making contact with nurse before his knee came up. It was a reaction to the contact. Labelling it as predatory is just toeing the party line.

2 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I don’t think most people have any issue with the suspension by itself. The problem comes from comparing this incident with other recent decisions. If DOPS acted consistently to protect players health and safety this would pretty much be a non-story.

For example, is this predatory?

58pysc.gif

Oh yeah, if you compare it to other decisions you're asking to be upset. That's not how it works though. Unfortunately it's not linear and fair. I will admit they have been even worse than usual lately. I'm not debating that. As a flagrant offender and oft suspended player in my youth I feel I have the job to play the devils advocate and tell it like it is. If you let me get away with that once I'm possibly breaking someone's jaw the next time. Simply unacceptable.

People complaining look butthurt, and/or don't understand hockey because plain and simple it's a suspension. Would you want someone kneeing your kid in the head? No. It's just not acceptable in the game of hockey.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

There was an angle that clearly shows Mac's skate making contact with nurse before his knee came up. It was a reaction to the contact. Labelling it as predatory is just toeing the party line.

You obviously don't play sports, he clearly left the leg in long enough (5 count) to hit Nurse long after the first hit, that's pre-empted, thus predatory.

It ain't toeing nothing, it's called experience. If you guys want to feel hard by then go for it. I don't care. He simply made a bad play. The head was hit with the knee. Serve your suspension and don't knee people in the head again. Or insist we're hard done by for the next days.

It's not a big deal, it's a well deserved one game suspension for not keeping his cool in a hostile environment. Live and learn, and stop complaining I say.

Edit: By the way it's not like an elbow to the head that happens in a hockey check. You can't simply just follow through with a knee to the head because you contacted his body first. This isn't Mortal Kombat, you just showed your lack of knowledge of NHL rules.

Edited by Gawdzukes

26 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

DOPS is right, it's predatory and has no place in the game, despite how soft the intentions

Would love to hear the DOPS rationale on Wilson and how his actions were not deemed predatory worhty of a suspension. No accountability for Wilson. No justice for Panarin. Parros is clueless and wimisical at best and at his worst, which is on full display now, an incompetent judge when it comes to protecting the players of the NHL.

It was expected knowing the incompetent people running DoPS.

But it still sucks.

IMO, Nurse's take down was million times more dangerous than MacEwen's knee, that barely glazed Nurse.

So, takedown is a thing now. I'm looking forward to guys doing it more often. I'm sure someone will do it on McDavid at some point.

• Cheers 2

I wouldn’t be as concerned with this suspension if it wasn’t for the other plays in that game that were either worse or penalties that were not called. 

I think it’s weak as hell but if NHL is trying to protect head injuries I get it. But they are not

• Vintage 2

Former referee Paul Stewart puts Colin Campbell in the crosshairs. Something most Canuck fans’ reaction will be....well, duh.

In a series of tweets right after the announcement from the Department of Player Safety on the fine, Paul Stewart went off.

“Tom Wilson (again) showed himself to be a fraudulent “tough guy” by opportunistically going after skill/finesse players. He wouldn’t have pulled that crap if he had to directly answer for it to a Probert, O’Reilly, Dave Brown, Fotiu, Odjick, Grimson, Twist, Chase, etc.,” Stewart began. “DOPS is spineless but they are driven play/offense outcomes first and foremost. The scrum itself wasn’t too out of the ordinary but it was Wilson’s choice of targets and general punkishness that’s the issue.”

In his final tweet, Stewart made a scathing accusation as to why the NHL DOPS is a mess. “Also, blaming George Parros for DOPS’ flaws is like blaming Ronald McDonald for the food quality at McDonald’s.” he explained. “He’s a figurehead symbol. For those who don’t know: In the NHL, the officiating department and DOPS are under the thumb of the director of hockey ops.”

A direct shot a Colin Campbell. As of this writing, the league has offered no rebuttal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

You obviously don't play sports, he clearly left the leg in long enough (5 count) to hit Nurse long after the first hit, that's pre-empted, thus predatory.

It ain't toeing nothing, it's called experience. If you guys want to feel hard by then go for it. I don't care. He simply made a bad play. The head was hit with the knee. Serve your suspension and don't knee people in the head again. Or insist we're hard done by for the next days.

It's not a big deal, it's a well deserved one game suspension for not keeping his cool in a hostile environment. Live and learn, and stop complaining I say.

Yeah, start your response with a despicable attack.  I didn't see the league video until now because of my video settings.

I'll admit that he did veer towards him. That in and of itself does not warrant a suspension. He didn't viciously knee him it was glancing contact on the shoulder mostly. They are suspending him for intent. They could have suspended several oilers for intent as well.

I thought nurse accidentally on purpose swinging his skates at MacEwen's face was far more dangerous. It will probably take a player getting seriously injured before they do anything about that sort of play though.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Former referee Paul Stewart puts Colin Campbell in the crosshairs. Something most Canuck fans’ reaction will be....well, duh.

In a series of tweets right after the announcement from the Department of Player Safety on the fine, Paul Stewart went off.

“Tom Wilson (again) showed himself to be a fraudulent “tough guy” by opportunistically going after skill/finesse players. He wouldn’t have pulled that crap if he had to directly answer for it to a Probert, O’Reilly, Dave Brown, Fotiu, Odjick, Grimson, Twist, Chase, etc.,” Stewart began. “DOPS is spineless but they are driven play/offense outcomes first and foremost. The scrum itself wasn’t too out of the ordinary but it was Wilson’s choice of targets and general punkishness that’s the issue.”

In his final tweet, Stewart made a scathing accusation as to why the NHL DOPS is a mess. “Also, blaming George Parros for DOPS’ flaws is like blaming Ronald McDonald for the food quality at McDonald’s.” he explained. “He’s a figurehead symbol. For those who don’t know: In the NHL, the officiating department and DOPS are under the thumb of the director of hockey ops.

A direct shot a Colin Campbell. As of this writing, the league has offered no rebuttal.

Now, everything make sense.

Colin Campbell. The Grinch that stole the cup from us in 2011.

How he is still employed by the NHL is beyond me. Didn't he have that email scandal also?

Tim Peel is let go for one single comment and yet this clown is still in the NHL, as a director of hockey ops after all those controversies?

lol NHL

• Vintage 4

Lol, you guys don't fully understand. I don't want to get into a fight so I'm going leave you with this.

Every time someone gets suspended, it makes no sense to the players, the team, or the fans of the one suspended. It's never warranted because everyone else gets away with the same sh!t everyday. It's unfair by definition. That's the unfortunate part. It's like the Cops, they don't stop crime but they deter it somewhat. You can't actually create a fair player system, it's impossible. It's what we do to stop injuries and the game getting away from everyone. If you get caught buck up because complaining gets you no where.

Let's go Canucks. 

13 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Yeah, start your response with a despicable attack.  I didn't see the league video until now because of my video settings.

I'll admit that he did veer towards him. That in and of itself does not warrant a suspension. He didn't viciously knee him it was glancing contact on the shoulder mostly. They are suspending him for intent. They could have suspended several oilers for intent as well.

I thought nurse accidentally on purpose swinging his skates at MacEwen's face was far more dangerous. It will probably take a player getting seriously injured before they do anything about that sort of play though.

It wasn't my fault you weren't educated (didn't bother to watch what you were talking about) thus the mudsling. To me the intent is huge. Carry on. I was wrong if that's not the case. I would just suspend anyone for that myself.

And yes Nurses' skates we're very dangerous there as well, maybe on purpose.

Edited by Gawdzukes

5 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

It wasn't my fault you weren't educated (didn't bother to watch what you were talking about) thus the mudsling. To me the intent is huge. Carry on. I was wrong if that's not the case. I would just suspend anyone for that myself.

And yes Nurses' skates we're very dangerous there as well, maybe on purpose.

Yet you continue on with the attacks. I was  referring to the incident from another angle that I saw. You're just going by one angle as well. How is that any better?

Is any other angles of that play available now?