The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Suspended 1 Game] MacEwen to have hearing for kneeing Oilers' Nurse

Rate this topic

-SN-

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What are the rules on the books that govern what’s allowed in a fight?  I know it’s a suspension to get into a fight if hands are taped.  And no biting, or hair pulling.  But is there a rule that states the guys can’t throw one another to the ice?  I don’t think there is.  But there should be.  Really, a guy as big and strong as Chara could easily pick up his opponent during a fight and body slam him.  

So I wonder what has the potential to do more damage....

Seems they focus on the wrong things.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What are the rules on the books that govern what’s allowed in a fight?  I know it’s a suspension to get into a fight if hands are taped.  And no biting, or hair pulling.  But is there a rule that states the guys can’t throw one another to the ice?  I don’t think there is.  But there should be.  Really, a guy as big and strong as Chara could easily pick up his opponent during a fight and body slam him.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

17 years ago the League vowed to get the game under control.  Threw the book at a guy in a witch hunt.

I guess if Bertuzzi had BODY SLAMMED Moore to the ice instead of grabbing him, punching him then falling to the ice with him, all would be forgiven?  Even overlooked, as is the case here?

Is that the precedent they're setting here?

Not one but two full body slams have not only gone unnoticed, but the perpetrator's teams got the added bonus of a gentle slap on the wrist, "sorry we have to" fine while the teams subjected to this crap got...suspensions?  Zack, a young player in the league gets to set the example for the guys who should know better by now?

What am I missing here?  Is this not totally ass backwards?

It boggles the mind that Wilson had his stick under a guy's neck....3 on 1 at one point.  Pummels him in the back of the head (I'm sorry to have to say I actually held my breath in an "I can't breathe" trauma moment as I hoped the guy on the ground wasn't going to be seriously hurt.  Or worse.).  Then goes on to slam another guy to the ice in a clear uncontrolled rage way.  

And:  $5,000 fine

Basically a parking ticket when attempted murder was more representative of the events.

Then Nurse...a repeat offender (even if it's off the books for bad good behaviour)....does the same and...nothing? 

Yet:  Zack gets disciplined for messing up Nurse's hair as he brushes him with his knee...yes, intentionally but not maliciously...more an agitator move than a death threat, even if Nurse treated it as such.  He really made sure the refs saw when he got up, completely uninjured.   Oilers have the drama acting down pat...Academy award level.

Sure...he nudged him with a knee...it's sad that I secretly wish he went full on knee now that he's being treated that way.  May as well get full mileage out of those suspensions.  

So Tom Wilson gets a fine.  Nurse gets nothing.

Zack and Buchnevich are the scapegoats.  Set an example and fake something's being done (even if this works in the opposite direction of that, as it further fuels the fires).  Rangers are fined.

What's wrong with this picture?  Here, I'll help:  everything.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

5 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

17 years ago the League vowed to get the game under control.  Threw the book at a guy in a witch hunt.

I guess if Bertuzzi had BODY SLAMMED Moore to the ice instead of grabbing him, punching him then falling to the ice with him, all would be forgiven?

Is that the precedent they're setting here?

Not one but two full body slams have not only gone unnoticed, but the perpetrator's teams got the added bonus of a gentle slap on the wrist sorry we have to fine while the teams subjected to this crap got...suspensions?  Zack, a young player in the league gets to set the example for the guys who should know better by now?

What am I missing here?  Is this not totally ass backwards?

It boggles the mind that Wilson had his stick under a guy's neck....3 on 1 at one point.  Pummels him in the back of the head (I'm sorry to have to say I actually held my breath in an "I can't breathe" trauma moment as I hoped the guy on the ground wasn't going to be seriously hurt.  Or worse.).  Then goes on to slam another guy to the ice in a clear uncontrolled rage way.  

And:  $5,000 fine

Basically a parking ticket when attempted murder was more representative of the events.

Then Nurse...a repeat offender (even if it's off the books for bad good behaviour)....does the same and...nothing?  Zack gets disciplined for messing up Nurse's hair as he brushes him with his knee...yes, intentionally but not maliciously...more an agitator move than a death threat, even if Nurse treated it as such.  He really made sure the refs saw when he got up, completely uninjured.   Oilers have the drama acting down pat...Academy award level.

Sure...he nudged him with a knee...it's sad that I secretly wish he went full on knee now that he's being treated that way.  May as well get full mileage out of those suspensions.  

So Tom Wilson gets a fine.  Nurse gets nothing.

What's wrong with this picture.  Here, I'll help:  everything.

Don't go down that road Deb. It still hurts. 

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

So I wonder what has the potential to do more damage....

Seems they focus on the wrong things.

Picking up an opponent and body slamming them, no matter the circumstance, should be a match penalty and a long suspension.  It’s way more dangerous than trying to punch while on skates.  

• Cheers 2

I'm willing to bet that linesman knee on Duncan Keith's face won't be a suspension. Therefore, it must be a good hockey play.... especially due to the ensuing goal! :unsure: 

I don't know why more teams aren't speaking up and accepting the fines. DOPS has never been worse in their decisions than as of recent. And the "per team and player" bias is blindingly obvious. Take a few more steps and we are WWE. BigMac got a suspension because the league wanted to punish the Canucks and at the same time promote McDavid. They even sounded stupid try to stand up for the rule book call "This is kneeing". What a dump truck load of poop.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Joining Jimmy in welcoming you back.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Unsportsmanlike conduct at a minumum.  Although it's unreasonable to expect Nurse to suddenly start playing like a man.

Yeah but I give him 11/10 on his dives.  Perfected.  Refs can't ignore this execution.

image.png

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I remember Eager doing something similar to Bieksa back in the day

• Like 1

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

Yeah but I give him 11/10 on his dives.  Perfected.  Refs can't ignore this execution.

image.png

Yep; should be trying out for the Olympics where he would be winning gold medals instead of disgracing the sport. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Yep; should be trying out for the Olympics where he would be winning gold medals instead of disgracing the sport. 

Wish I had photoshop...I'd put a swimming pool under him.  

• Haha 1

This is a bit long but very interesting to hear the opinions of Darren McCarty and John Scott on Tom Wilson and his fine. There is also a video angle of him throwing down Panarin that I hadn’t seen. John Scott is at about 6 minutes. Keep in mind Panarin is out for the rest of the season because of this. Nurse is up smilin’ & whinin’. One game to Mac and a $5000 fine for Wilson. 

No Mac for HNC on a Saturday night as McD chases 100. Coincidence or part of a plan?

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

Oilers fans on Reddit are calling Canucks fans racist as a result of this incident. Says there must have been racial undertones to the whole thing hahahah

Racist against Nurse? He's always played like an asshat. No way he can hide behind stupid fans for his stupid play. Finally we have someone to answer Nurse who always picks one guy to throw extra shots at. Nurse always plays his big bully card and Mac can help him cash that in. Good on Mac. 

That leg drop?! Chkn sh** move.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Don't go down that road Deb. It still hurts. 

In reading Burke's book.....I'm angrier now than I was then.  To learn Moore was sitting up in his hospital bed, immediately afterward, answering emails.  Yet...BROKEN NECK.   There's a reason he kept on the down low.

Over it.  (Never)

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Here's some of it, from Burke's recollection (the entire chapter is quite revealing).  The initial focus and reaction was on "is the kid ok?"...:

Spoiler

"The next morning, I tried to contact Moore at the hospital, but he wouldn't take my call.  So I called Bob Goodenow and asked him to pass on a message:  "The kid won't take my call.  I understand.  He probably thinks I had something to do with it.  But I just want to know if he's okay.  I'm just calling to see how he is."

Goodenow called me back later and told me that Moore was fine.  He wouldn't take Bob's call, either, because he had been bombarded with emails and he was busy checking them.

So he's sitting up in his hospital bed, checking his email--what the F!"

Later that morning, Pierre Lacroix, the Avs' general manager, held a news conference where he announced that they were transferring Moore to a rehabilitation hospital in Colorado, where he would receive the best possible care and hopefully make a full recovery.

So they sure made it sound like it was serious.

Iain McIntyre, who was working for the Vancouver Sun then, called the neck hospital and asked them if they had been told to make room for Moore.  They said they hadn't--that it was a long-term care facility, not an emergency facility. (I was mad at Pierre for that.  I thought it was dirty pool. I wouldn't have done it....

I asked our trainer how someone could have a "broken neck" and still be sitting up checking his email.  He told me that we've all got flanges on our vertebrae, and that he had probably broken off one of them--which is painful, but not dangerous.  He said that, because I was a former rugby player, he could probably find one or two broken flanges in my back if they were to take an X-ray.

We went from concern for the kid, wondering if he would ever play again--if he would ever walk again--to wondering if we were getting played by the Avalanche.  Were they trying to milk this to get the biggest suspension they could?

Which is exactly what they did.  To this day, I'm convinced the the injuries weren't severe enough to end his career.  I think he could have come back and played if he'd wanted to.

(He continues on with the story.  But, of course, Bertuzzi was thrown into the fire and Moore has now vanished into oblivion with his pay off).

• Thanks 1