The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Change is on the horizon...

Rate this topic

Tyster

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

wasn't gillis arguably our most successful GM ever?  He did do a great job filling out a roster to support a younger core group, and provided an environment for winning.  I just don't know is he will come back here after how it ended for him?  Maybe FA will ask?

If FA want the Canuck brand to grow he needs a thinker like Gillis. 

Not a spoiled ex player like Benning stuck in old times. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

the article doesn't cite any sources... just says he was "on the phone"... with who? 

maybe Aquilini will make changes, but why wait until the season is over? you'd think if Jim was on the way out it would have been done by now.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

I don't think of Gillis as an overly good GM. I think he really rode the tails of the team that was mostly assembled by Nonis and Burke. He did add some nice support pieces, but for the most part, the core of the team that went to the finals in 2011, was assembled by deals that were executed by other GM's.

I think Gillis was better suited to acting as President of a team, I think he had a generally good vision, but would have been better to bring in an experienced General Manager to handle trades etc.

I see this article in the Province as unsubstantiated click bait to boost sales of the paper. I think that Benning will be back next season, and I think Green will be as well.

This season was an unprecedented situation where we got slammed by pretty much every side possible on injuries and on schedule complications.

To me, this season was a write off before it began, I think we'll be in a much better space next year, there will be changes on the team, of course, but I think most of those will be in support players around the overall core.

Maybe your idea of Gillis coming to be President of Hockey is what will happen?  Maybe that is the only change?

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the article doesn't cite any sources... just says he was "on the phone"... with who? 

You expect him to reveal his sources that are giving him inside info?

(not saying he's legit, I don't know the writer's credibility level)

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the article doesn't cite any sources... just says he was "on the phone"... with who

maybe Aquilini will make changes, but why wait until the season is over? you'd think if Jim was on the way out it would have been done by now.

He was on the phone with Willie the Mail boy of course! He overheard some guy who lives out the back of the building, living under a cardboard box, about how he thinks the team should fire everyone and hire him to run things...

;)

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe your idea of Gillis coming to be President of Hockey is what will happen?  Maybe that is the only change?

I'd be okay seeing Gillis doing President. I think he had some unique approaches, I don't think he was a particularly good trader and he REALLY wasn't up to the job of drafting.

4 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Maybe MG can co GM the nucks. Jim can handle the draft only and has a say in trades while MG is used to sign players during Free agency lol

Gillis gave out NTC's and NMC's like they were candy at Halloween. There are circumstances where you need to use them, but he over used them in a big way. It made it hard when we changed management, to clear out aging players for draft picks and start again.  As much as fans want to think you can just move guys regardless, if someone has an NTC and says, "NO, not waiving", you're kind of screwed.

• Cheers 4