Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jim Benning to return for next season

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Wasn't it Hughes who was crying earlier in the year about having all these new faces around this year, I'm pretty sure that was a sign of not happy with the GM with what they've done. 

 

But now when a reporter mentions it, everyone's like no that can't be true, he doesn't know anything, he can't even talk to the players, blah blah blah.

 

You guys are in denial :lol:

If Hughes and the players are still not over player turnover then go ahead and trade them. That kind of attitude will never win a stanley cup. 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

name the top 3

Let’s see in general

1. Awful Cap Management which resulted in not having enough cap space for Toffoli.

 

2. Signing players for big and long (lol) contracts. And no he didn’t need to pay all that money to entice people to come to Van. There are a bunch of Beagles and Roussels in the league. There are a lot better players than them signed for much cheaper contracts. Plus we were supposed to be “rebuilding” so why sign old vets for so long and high cap? Why not either trade for those players and get a premium back for taking on a bad contract or sign a project player that can either A) Produce the same but on a much cheaper contract or B ) Turn out to be a half decent player we can flip or sign long term. I’d rather have Groavac and Bailey signed for cheap than have Beagle, Roussel and Eriksson anchor the team. And don’t say hindsight is 203 because those ALL were bad contracts as soon as they were signed. Couldn’t predict Eriksson would be THAT bad but it was a bad move from the very start.


3. Claims to be a great drafter (he’s maybe slightly above average at best) but traded picks and young players. And he’s not even that great at drafting, better than Gillis no doubt but went off the board with Juolevi and Virtanen and those were misses. His only off the board pick was Pettersson. The rest were consensus picks. And it’s too early to tell with Lind, Gadjovich, Rathbone etc... And you can’t count Gaudette because if he was good then why did Benning trade him for an AHL tweener that’s a year older than him? Or Gaudette is good and Benning just made a dumb trade for a lesser asset?


I can go on but this took long enough to type. We’re just not going to see eye to eye. You support Benning and that’s your right, I think he’s been awful from the start and that’s how it goes. You can’t convince me otherwise. And although Points 1 and 2 are similar they are different so don’t be that guy. For every good move Benning has done there are AT LEAST 2 Bad things

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, combover said:

What I find funniest is his excuse making supporters actually think this  is because he done good hahahahahaha because people who’ve done a good job need to get a call saying your not fired lol. 

and not the real reason owners don’t want to pay him and pay a real Gm

so they’ll try to hide his miserable failures with a pr move. 
 

 

 

Why are you crying? You need to be stronger.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

I’m going to guess another 3x3. He’s a foundational player and I think he’s really important to the success of this club. 

No way a foundational player who plays key minutes as a center, can make less then superstar Pearson now....

  • Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

If Hughes and the players are still not over player turnover then go ahead and trade them. That kind of attitude will never win a stanley cup. 

LOL. You would rather stand by Jim &^@#ing Benning than support the players?? Bro that is sad. Players are allowed to be unhappy with management and ownership. Especially how they were treated by the NHL and management during the outbreak. 

Edited by Wayne Glensky
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

It was a 3 game play in. Not a playoff series. Even the NHL itself didnt classify it as one. Playoff series are 7 games.

 

They won 1 series and got dominated other than unsustainable goaltending by Demko in the 2nd round. With even above average goaltending that series is over in 5 at the most.

 

You claim me calling it what the NHL itself calls it is bias.....

 

It seems its actually you who is trying to change that narrative to make it look like the Canucks accomplished more success than they actually did in a bias to support the train wreck setbacks it cost the team by Benning.

While not OFFICIALLY a playoff series a 5 game playoff is still a series which we won. Discredit it all you want doesn’t make it any less true. And I knew the disgruntled Benning folk would downplay it as such. 
 

There were 5 rounds for some teams to get to the Finals last year like it or not. 

  • RoughGame 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ken kaniff said:

Let’s see in general

1. Awful Cap Management which resulted in not having enough cap space for Toffoli.

 

2. Signing players for big and long (lol) contracts. And no he didn’t need to pay all that money to entice people to come to Van. There are a bunch of Beagles and Roussels in the league. There are a lot better players than them signed for much cheaper contracts. Plus we were supposed to be “rebuilding” so why sign old vets for so long and high cap? Why not either trade for those players and get a premium back for taking on a bad contract or sign a project player that can either A) Produce the same but on a much cheaper contract or B ) Turn out to be a half decent player we can flip or sign long term. I’d rather have Groavac and Bailey signed for cheap than have Beagle, Roussel and Eriksson anchor the team. And don’t say hindsight is 203 because those ALL were bad contracts as soon as they were signed. Couldn’t predict Eriksson would be THAT bad but it was a bad move from the very start.


3. Claims to be a great drafter (he’s maybe slightly above average at best) but traded picks and young players. And he’s not even that great at drafting, better than Gillis no doubt but went off the board with Juolevi and Virtanen and those were misses. His only off the board pick was Pettersson. The rest were consensus picks. And it’s too early to tell with Lind, Gadjovich, Rathbone etc... And you can’t count Gaudette because if he was good then why did Benning trade him for an AHL tweener that’s a year older than him? Or Gaudette is good and Benning just made a dumb trade for a lesser asset?


I can go on but this took long enough to type. We’re just not going to see eye to eye. You support Benning and that’s your right, I think he’s been awful from the start and that’s how it goes. You can’t convince me otherwise. And although Points 1 and 2 are similar they are different so don’t be that guy. For every good move Benning has done there are AT LEAST 2 Bad things

For sure there have been cap gaffes, which is why I'm hoping we see some new management in, a president hopefully. But if he can learn from this and we don't see any more Roussel-type deals we're in good shape after next season. 

 

I was fine with Jim being let go if we had an upgrade coming. Clearly thats not the case, either because Aqua didn't have a candidate or he's not willing to spend (which isn't really supported by his history).

 

I think a major part of us not seeing a change is there isn't a replacement above or below Jim to handle the draft and RFA extensions. I also think he must have got enough good feedback from guys like the Sedins on the direction of the team that he wasn't interested in making a change right now.

 

I do think Jim's on a short leash. If we see another bad start he's likely done early into the season. 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Squamfan said:

only two more years of this before this team will contend

2 more years until this team becomes competitive. Contenders is a long ways away 

  • Like 1
  • RoughGame 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Now your just being disingenuous. 

The players can be mad without going public just like the players can be happy without going public.

 

Also Demko wants his coach re-signed, not like JB needs a new contract and Green's status is less consequential to a goalie. 

Totally but they have access to the internet and see  media they know someone flew a banner to fire Jb.

if they support him you’d think they have his back none have said anything. 

 


Demko showing support for someone he respects 

we’ve all see It when coaches and gms are on the hot seat players usually come out with support I haven’t see one Canuck say anything about JB.


must be but because the bias media.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

If Hughes and the players are still not over player turnover then go ahead and trade them. That kind of attitude will never win a stanley cup. 

Yes and no, I'm a little old school and feel they should be sucking it up and playing unless there is a certain player who was brought in and is a complete clown like a Messier, then I could see frustration growing from players, but it seems like it was just more upset of losing certain players, they should be talking about that behind closed doors rather then to the media.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

honestly I don't think I've ever seen you write a positive post 

Well that's obviously your confirmation bias.

 

And even if it were true, it wouldn't invalidate any of my opinions. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, PuckFather said:

Why are you crying? You need to be stronger.

Im not crying Because this isn’t my saviour. 
but I look forward to seeing him get dragged through the mud some more this team can use another top ten pick after another season of excuses snd failures. 

488CE7AE-0947-4D21-8FB8-E036A60B3956.jpeg

  • RoughGame 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, combover said:

I missed the interviews that players said they’re  happy with him being allowed to stay 

I did read that demko made a plea for Clarke but not so much for Jb or green.

Huh. 
but must just be the big bad media. 

Is that you, Tony (Gallagher)?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kanucks25 said:

Well that's obviously your confirmation bias.

 

And even if it were true, it wouldn't invalidate any of my opinions. :)

thats true. Just tired of the always (or nearly always) negative takes from a lot of folks. There's a lot to like about the core of the team. 

 

But if you want to go to Uncle Laleets protest on the weekend, stay safe. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, combover said:

Im not crying Because this isn’t my saviour. 
but I look forward to seeing him get dragged through the mud some more this team can use another top ten pick after another season of excuses snd failures. 

488CE7AE-0947-4D21-8FB8-E036A60B3956.jpeg

That's an awesome picture of Benning.  Has made me laugh each time I've seen it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

LOL. You would rather stand by Jim &^@#ing Benning than support the players?? Bro that is sad. Players are allowed to be unhappy with management and ownership. Especially how they were treated by the NHL and management during the outbreak. 

Your putting words in my mouth. Look at my post history, I ain't happy with JB either. Heck I'm more mad at the owners more than anyone.

 

Point is, being that upset over player turnover one year later indicates that they would rather just play with their buddies than playing to win. 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...