Canucks Community

[proposal] Jake Virtanen for Tyler Johnson

Why Tampa does this:

-Reduce cap space and long term liabilities

-Get a youngish player that could thrive in a new environment 

Why the Canucks do this:

-Significantly improve their 3rd line C spot

-Tyler Johnson still has game.  He’s just been buried on a very deep Tampa team and is on the 4th line as a result.

-The young and upcoming Podkolzin will be guaranteed to play with a good offensive minded center regardless of which line he plays on.  This will help his development.

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander

Roussel-Johnson-Podkolzin

Motte-Lind-Highmore

• Haha 2

Not sure we have the cap for this, but I like the idea.

Most likely Jake will be bought out. It’s only 1/3, and the way the contract was structured there will be very little penalty for the club.

I don't think we have the cap room for this move really. Johnson's also not likely to find his game again, given that he's nearly 31 years old now. He's starting to enter the decline stage of his career.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

This is insane. Johnson isnt the johnson he once was. Taking on 5m salarar for5l 3 more years is insane.

Maybe, but....

1) the guy had 29 goals in 18-19 (two seasons ago).

2) The guy isn’t young, but he’s not old either at 30.

3) Johnson is not a great player, but he’s still a good one.  Don’t let his numbers fool you.  He’s playing on a VERY deep Tampa team on the 4th line.  Remember the last guy that we traded for in Tampa who was struggling there?  (JT Miller).

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=107053

Edited by Patel Bure

16 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Johnson's a winger, doesn't fit as a 3rd C.

He sometimes plays RW but plays more center.  Atleast according to Daily FaceOff. 

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/tampa-bay-lightning/line-combinations/

That Tampa line is bloody stacked.  Especially down the middle.  Point, Cirrelli, and Gourde.  Stamkos has been moved to the wing as well.  Johnson is a 3rd line/2B center on most other teams imo.

On 5/21/2021 at 7:01 PM, Patel Bure said:

Why Tampa does this:

-Reduce cap space and long term liabilities

-Get a youngish player that could thrive in a new environment 

Why the Canucks do this:

-Significantly improve their 3rd line C spot

-Tyler Johnson still has game.  He’s just been buried on a very deep Tampa team and is on the 4th line as a result.

-The young and upcoming Podkolzin will be guaranteed to play with a good offensive minded center regardless of which line he plays on.  This will help his development.

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander

Roussel-Johnson-Podkolzin

Motte-Lind-Highmore

Virtanen is more valuable as a termination/buy out candidate.

Pavel Bure wearing a turban.  Now, that's funny.

Edited by bigbadcanucks
  • Thanks 1

We'll take Johnson with Tampa retaining $2M and giving us a 3rd round pick. Nothing going back to Tampa.

Tampa is $5M over the cap for next season with only 19 players under contract. Unless they plan to have Kucherov sit out the season AGAIN they are going to be forced into deals like this.

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I don't think we have the cap room for this move really. Johnson's also not likely to find his game again, given that he's nearly 31 years old now. He's starting to enter the decline stage of his career.

Good point.  I think the more smallish/skill forwards however, tend to decline at a later age.  

Radim Vrbata for instance, plotted 31 goals for us as a 33/34 year old, and then scored 20 goals for Arizona as a 35/36 year old.

3 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Pavel Bure wearing a turban.  About the stupidest thing I've seen here on CDC.

That’s not Pavel Bure.  

That’s Patel Bure (me).

I am sorry that you think I look stupid.  :’-(

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, khay said:

Johnson at 30+ years old doesn't help us build a bottom 6 that is tough to play against.

We need to add players that make us harder to play against.  

Good point but the game has also evolved to a point where many teams choose to have three scoring lines + one traditional “checking/shut down” line.  

Putting Johnson with Podkolzin would make that line “tough enough” in my opinion (or tough enough to play against).

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Jake in Florida sounds more hectic than Jake in Vancouver lol.

Maybe, but a happy Jake is a productive Jake.  Jake has his warts, but the guy was on a 20 goal pace pre-Covid.  Everyone reacts differently to covid fatigue and I do believe that more social extroverted people are affected harder than introverts.   I believe that this is what has happened to Virtanen.  

Bo Horvat has more of a Michael Jordan/Jonathan Toews personality.  Virtanen has more of a Dennis Rodman personality imo.

13 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Pavel Bure wearing a turban.  About the stupidest thing I've seen here on CDC.

Hmmmm. whats so stupid about it? it's about as silly as this

c3bf74cdfae1b6abee37a626c7f6854e--the-calendar-vancouver.jpg.d864e86dc3fd40762265c425041af3bb.jpg

8 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Good point but the game has also evolved to a point where many teams choose to have three scoring lines + one traditional “checking/shut down” line.  

Putting Johnson with Podkolzin would make that line “tough enough” in my opinion (or tough enough to play against).

I understand the game has changed and size does not equate to "tough to play against".

I'm just saying that Johnson at 31 years old, may not be able to play that hard forechecking game needed on our 3rd line.

10 minutes ago, khay said:

I understand the game has changed and size does not equate to "tough to play against".

I'm just saying that Johnson at 31 years old, may not be able to play that hard forechecking game needed on our 3rd line.

Doesn’t necessarily has to be his line that takes on the tougher physical match ups.  You can put a Pearson-Horvat-Podkolzin line in that role instead..   That can then free up Johnson and Hoglander for more offensive opportunities against weaker lines.