The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] NHL Draft Lottery, June 2nd @ 4 pm on Sportsnet

Rate this topic

Beary Sweet

Anyone else have issues with this current format?  New Jersey has picked top 3 since 17.   Buffalo, Eichel, dahlen, and now another first.  

f u Vancouver you guys will never pick above 5th  :mad:

Edited by sassbs
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Fair assessment true, but I wonder if they would've skipped  Quinn for positional need if he was 6'2

I'm glad we'll never know. :P I'm hoping that Clarke still manages to drop to us at 9. There are 4 D-men worth being in the top 9: Powers, Hughes, Edvinsson, Clarke. Given how much of a crapshoot this draft will be due to lack of games due to COVID, which teams ahead of us may prioritize a forward over a D-man? Checking...I think it's hopeless...:(

28 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Cap space is there to be spent on quality players.

You're happy were not getting a top tier prospect because we may have to pay him?

Jesus....

tenor.gif?itemid=7369802

Well this draft really doesn't have a clear cut number one franchise altering player. I for one would be happy to not have to pay a RNH, Yakupov, Eric Johnson, ekblad, Reinhart, hischier, Patrick, galchenyuk sort of player "top prospect money". This reminds me of the hischier, Nolan Patrick draft, how are those duds doing nowadays?

All top 3 picks aren't all equal in quality. This is a weak draft up top, it doesn't hurt. Now if there was a mcdavid, matthews, dahlin, mackinnon up there....yeah it would hurt. The next two drafts have high end prospects like that though. 

Edited by .Naslund

1 minute ago, philtbc829 said:

FFS....Sabres get #1 again!!! ....the Nucks get #9 ......this sucks...totally expected but still sucks.....

Thankfully we won’t be always wondering “what if” as his development has already been stunted by going to Buffalo.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, sassbs said:

Anyone else have issues with this current format?  New Jersey has picked top 3 since 17.   Buffalo, Eichel, dahlen, and now another first.  

f u Vancouver you guys will never pick above 5th  :mad:

It’s 100% a broken system. Shouldn’t be the same teams winning every year. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

But we didn't lose.   For us, that's a win!!!!

We’ll call it a stalemate. 

8 years ago we had a 9th overall pick...(well we traded for it :ph34r:)... and we drafted a quality playe—no... a quality captain!  We also drafted Cam Neely 9th overall(the only other 9th overall in the team’s history) but we traded him away... still two quality picks with the two 9th overalls we’ve ever had. 

Here’s hoping we continue to draft well at 9th.  

I get the feeling there’s a chance JB moves this pick to improve the team now. Wouldn’t be surprised. If we keep it and none of the top 4 Dman are picked I hope Kent Johnson Is available 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I find Benning's comment interesting. He can't answer it right now (but he will when the time is right?)  Would have to be a really good player... (do they already have a player in mind?)  

Benning said they would be aggressive this off season, and with this being a weaker draft by comparisons, maybe he trades the #9? Pure speculation, but there is a ton of pressure for the Canucks to make the playoffs next season.  A prospect won't help him save his job.

Just now, vinny_in_vancouver said:

I'm glad we'll never know. :P I'm hoping that Clarke still manages to drop to us at 9. There are 4 D-men worth being in the top 9: Powers, Hughes, Edvinsson, Clarke. Given how much of a crapshoot this draft will be due to lack of games due to COVID, which teams ahead of us may prioritize a forward over a D-man? Checking...I think it's hopeless...:(

I think after the latter half of Clarke's season (and the fact that he had a latter half...) puts him as a certain top-4. Hope he fall tho!

I like Willy Eklund too tho

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Might be another Broberg.

I’d be good with any one of Johnson, Eklund, or McTavish.

This sounds about right to me as well. Sneaky feeling that Johnson is probably the only guy of those three there when we go up to the podium.

1 minute ago, .Naslund said:

What would you say if it was us winning the lottery every year? Would we be complaining then? 

I mean, yeah. Do you think it’s right the Edmonton won it 6 times in 10 years (may need to be corrected here)? Buffalo now twice, Jersey twice. Just seems broken to me.  I don’t think teams should be overly rewarded for being perpetually terrible. Just my opinion though. 

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Benning said they would be aggressive this off season, and with this being a weaker draft by comparisons, maybe he trades the #9? Pure speculation, but there is a ton of pressure for the Canucks to make the playoffs next season.  A prospect won't help him save his job.

Making the playoffs should be a realistic expectation for the Canucks this season as the only team in our division that is not in the draft lottery this year is the Oilers (and they got eliminated in the first round). I don't think they need to trade a first rounder to get to the playoffs.