The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hogtown-Implosion Should Assist JB

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

They should never have let Lou Lamoriello go - would've just been a matter of time before he built a legitimate contender there.  Actually,  maybe it was for the better he left TO lol....

• Cheers 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

21 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

His decision to sign those shorter term, expensive RFA deals was far worse than anything Benning has ever done - don't hear that talked about much though. The sense of entitlement in that organization is palpable. 

Bizzare.   Don't care about Tavares, he earned his pay day the correct way, was underpaid during his second deal.    But Mathews for only five years is a sticky point, especially at that price (right to free agency).   Collectively they've missed out on a very good 3C or a nice bump on D or something.   A lot of lessons to be learned from his mistakes league wide - brings back memories of the late 90's when salaries were spinning out of control. 

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Firstly, appreciate a number of threads have been kicked off in homage to yesterday's fine outcome; but I feel this is noteworthy, & somewhat separate in detail. Whether a lover or hater of JB & Van's managerial-approach, I would hope we can all agree on one salient point: that JB & Dubas' moves have been a study in contrasts.

Would assume this will somewhat assist Gent Jim, as he discusses $/term with our young stars. Already he has reasoned with Bo, Brock & Thatcher to accept deals that serve their own, and the team's interests. I have faith that he will do likewise with our two young stars this summer. The performance of TO's overpaid, ballyhooed circus act, is just one more bullet in the chamber of reason. Let's not play rushin'-roulette with our young guns, eh?(misspelled by design)

What defines Dubas(& his time)?

- Sign a flashy UFA as core-piece, & pronounced official leader. Committing over 10% to an outsider, as RFA's line up for contracts

- Then obscenely overpay said RFA's. Blowing up more bridges than a Hollyweird, B-rate, adventure flick

- Bring in a succession(helter skelter) of more aging leaders(at various stages of career-decomposition). They will supposedly help shelter the hugely-compensated RFA$$$

- Trade/fritter away 1st's to either jettison aforementioned, aging, decaying vets, and/or reload with more of 'em!

- Rifts with greying, respected names(like Lou & Babs) in the game longer than this guy's been alive

Don't think we've seen nearrr the conscienceless turnover this vast machine has been churning through. Yet the lamestream sporting media has enlightened us all with how superior their approach has been.

Ladies & gents of the jury, I hereby provide this damning evidence of why Kyle Du_b@$$ is a direct threat to ML-society.

& think of the flack poor ol' JB has taken. Let's thank our lucky stars ownership has the wisdom & patience to know otherwise!

I never unserstand Canuck Faithfuls penchant for comparing our beloved Jimmer to bad GMs.

why not compare him to good GMs ?

I know that would raise the benchmark, but I thought the goal was to make this team better/good/great.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, lmm said:

I never unserstand Canuck Faithfuls penchant for comparing our beloved Jimmer to bad GMs.

I know that would raise the benchmark, but I thought the goal was to make this team better/good/great.

Been saying this for awhile. If you want to be the best you have to beat the best. 

Being better than train wreck GM's and teams is the comparison many are comfortable with because the other comparison does not allow them to consider Benning a great GM.

I know for me, I expect more than we are better than Toronto or Buffalo. Being the best of the worst is still pretty damn bad overall.

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, lmm said:

Hmm, you might be distracted by the 21st C, or incredibly busy in your day to day?

I'd historically compared his fine('14-19) run of drafting with the 1970's work of the legendary Bill Torrey. Of course time is required to play these things out. But I most certainly put it out there.

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Hmm, you might be distracted by the 21st C, or incredibly busy in your day to day?

I'd historically compared his fine('14-19) run of drafting with the 1970's work of the legendary Bill Torrey. Of course time is required to play these things out. But I most certainly put it out there.

Drafting doesnt exist in a vacuum though. Where you draft matters too. And the trade off to draft high has been a terrible team resukts wise.

To properly judge a GM's drafting record, if your goal is to declare them the difference maker in hitting homeruns, you have to factor in where the players they drafted were projected to go in addition to where they went and how they ultimately turned out.

The only crystal clear example of a major drafting coup in the early rounds is drafting Petterssen a few spots above where he was projected to go. He turned out to be a clear homerun.

Hughes, Podkolzin, McCann, Boeser, Demko, Hoglander, etc were all taken within the expected range they would be. Juolevi and Virtanen were by position stretch picks at the time and hindsight has not changed that.

Some of his later picks have apparently not been as good as we all hoped. If they were, they would not have been let go for little or nothing in return. Others still may be very clear homeruns but the jury is still out.

Overall drafting has been a strength of Benning's time as GM. He deserves credit for doing a good job there, particularly in direct comparison to previous Canucks GM's. 

46 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Drafting doesnt exist in a vacuum though. Where you draft matters too. And the trade off to draft high has been a terrible team resukts wise.

To properly judge a GM's drafting record, if your goal is to declare them the difference maker in hitting homeruns, you have to factor in where the players they drafted were projected to go in addition to where they went and how they ultimately turned out.

The only crystal clear example of a major drafting coup in the early rounds is drafting Petterssen a few spots above where he was projected to go. He turned out to be a clear homerun.

Hughes, Podkolzin, McCann, Boeser, Demko, Hoglander, etc were all taken within the expected range they would be. Juolevi and Virtanen were by position stretch picks at the time and hindsight has not changed that.

Some of his later picks have apparently not been as good as we all hoped. If they were, they would not have been let go for little or nothing in return. Others still may be very clear homeruns but the jury is still out.

Overall drafting has been a strength of Benning's time as GM. He deserves credit for doing a good job there, particularly in direct comparison to previous Canucks GM's. 

"Have to this, & have to that"...I don't know? Personally find such language suggestive of a highly-regimented, somewhat militaristic approach.

First, I like to remember this is(mostly) entertainment, for the viewing public's enjoyment. Different markets seem to derive pleasure from watching diff types of players. Of course, everyone wants to win(doesn't need to be stated). Unfortunately, many great teams will not go all the way, especially where there will be 31 competitors.

Drafting has been such a thorn(historically) in Van's butt, it's a pleasure for me to finally see a GM who's got a Toyota assembly line consistently turning out quality product.

Maybe it's more of an inexact art, as opposed to precise science, after all? Don't know? I don't make/design the widgets.

Just simply a (currently) satisfied, end-consumer. I like the current product, & think it'll only improve over the coming yrs.

Now, hopefully they'll lock it in affordably!

Edited by Nuxfanabroad
typo
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

oh, I thought you were just piling on the Leafs.

72-81 Isles

72 draft 5 players - 3 over 700 games + Canucks Henning and Brodeur

73  draft 4 player, 2 over 100 games + 2 over 500-- Denis Potvin

74 draft 4 4 players inc Trottier + Gillies

75 Pat Price

76 Ken Morrow + 2 I can't recall (but still played 200 games each)

77 Bossy + Tonnelli

78 Tambellini (another Cancuk)----------------------this is where Jim is now

79 Dwayne Sutter +Carrol+Jonsson  Rollie the Goalie (canuck)

80 Brent Sutter +Hrudey + Gilbert

81 G Dineen + Boutillier

I don't see a Trottier, Potvin, Gillies, Tonelli, Howatt or Morrow It might be a stretch to compare those guys with Petey, Quinner, Jake boy, Lind,  Gadj , Jack

but hey we just traded Adam Tambellini

and we still have Brock Bossy

and with any luck Demko, Mikey, Svilovs are better than Hrudy, Brodeur and Melanson

6 minutes ago, lmm said:

oh, I thought you were just piling on the Leafs.

No, I was contrasting what I feel is their misguided manoeuvres/strategies(which the lamestream media portrayed as ambrosia), with our GM's gradual, patient approach. Feeling their dramatic implosion further reinforces we oughta' keep sailing our chosen course.

It's good their overpaid prima-donnas served bagels, just as 2 of our key young stars must sit down to talk numbers.

& next I appreciate you've taken time to highlight B Torrey's fine work. Pls feel free to transfer all that over to(JB in Historical Context) should you feel like contributing over there. A good day! :^)