The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will Scheifele be suspended and for how long?

Rate this topic

Will Scheifele be suspended and for how long?  

126 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

58 minutes ago, gurn said:

I'd be interested in knowing  how many posters were just  having a go at you, the resident Habs fan.

I'm fine with the suspension, it was charging and a dangerous hit. My issue is with the hit being called late.

If that was late about half  of all hockey hits are going to be late.

I never called it late or a head shot.  It was a brutal charge on a vulnerable player. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, qwijibo said:

"In short, this is a player who has travelled a considerable distance, is moving with exceptional speed and is fully aware of his momentum who chooses to charge into a vulnerable opponent with a high, predatory hit that causes an injury.” - NHL Department of player safety.

I thought it was a home game?

drums-troll.gif

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, 250Integra said:

Parros protecting goons and punishing Stars with no history. Yep, no corruption at all.

Scheifele should have bought some clothes from Violent Gentleman.

Lol.

:P

7 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I’m sitting on a beach drinking beer the next few nights. I’ll have to go back and check exactly what the deal was isn’t admitting I was wrong or dumb good enough?

Enjoy the beers and beach. Genuinely interested in post incident commentary. 

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Squamfan said:

its a sad thing that you never see stuff like this again because all these idiots SJW who never played sports have an opinions. What happened to keep your head up and don't admire your pass. This generation of players are lucky Stevens and Kronwall are not playing

this hit wasn't half as bad as the schiefle hit.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Whorvat said:

It actually could have prevented the goal, he was a split second late. Had he been there 1/10th of a second earlier, it could still be a 1 goal game

He will get suspended, but only because its 2021

your right, if it was 20+ years ago, half the forwards in the NHL would not have skated that hard.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Enjoy the beers and beach. Genuinely interested in post incident commentary. 

Meh, the DoPeS have spoken and they see things differently, maybe I’m just a grumpy old curmudgeon clinging to hockey from the ‘70s.

oh well, at least I’ll always have the mother of all elbows.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Slegr said:

4 playoff games is like 12 regular season games. I think it’s pretty excessive for a guy with no suspicion history.

I don’t like the NHL explanation either. They frame it like he knew the goal was scored and decided to hit him afterwards. That all happened in a split second. He’s a physical guy. I think there’s a chance he went for the hit thinking it might prevent the goal from being scored. 

I like tough playoff hockey. The victim has a concussion history - did that play into the extent of the injury? And does he have a concussion history because he doesn’t keep his head up at key times? Yeah, I may be blaming the victim but I wonder if these kinds of considerations weigh into the decision making at all.

I think they got this one spot on - if you go earlier on and watch some of the videos with explanations (not DoPs) you can clearly see before the hit he has a chance to play for the puck and instead lines up for the big hit, this isn’t a play gone wrong this was something he chose, he went to make a statement hit.

15 hours ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

Lmaoooo this is an all time bad take on a forum that is full of bad takes. Hotdogging? In a 1 goal game? Unreal. 

Not only that,  he couldn’t have popped it in earlier - he raced to beat the icing and didn’t get to the puck until it was just past the goal, his only play was the wrap around if he wanted to score. 

Edited by UKNuck96
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

That was an absolutely destructive hit. He coasted into him, yes. But Scheifele was going full speed prior. Dude, if you can start coasting near the top of the face off dot and still be moving that fast. You had to have been hauling ass. I for sure think it was a charge. It was a dangerous hit. Funnily enough, I honestly think if Scheifele abandons the hit and reaches out for a poke check. He might have saved a goal and this ugly hit doesn't happen.

I am a huge Scheifele fan. I think he's got a real case as a top 5 center in the league. But this hit was not a good look. Call me a soft millenial or whatever. But I'd be outraged if he, or anyone, did this to a Canuck. That was reckless and careless. He had a chance to stop a goal with the speed he was skating. But he wanted to thump the guy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

the nhl got this right   intent to injure   no one wants that in nhl predatory hit  no different from malkin or keith elbowing sedins      mark if hes back for game 7 wont have to fight weber hes gonna have to fight chariot  watch out hes got a trget on back now  good for ehlers getting  evans back tho

7 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Wilson? Wrong 

Reaves? Wrong 

Scheifele? Right

3rd times the charm. 

Yeah I am fine with the suspension but the optics still seems strange considering Wilson got nothing. And normally someone like Scheifele would have a lighter suspension for the hit considering he's a star player ( I mean we all know Rick Nash and Milan Lucic weren't suspended for what they did).

As I said the suspension is fair but this is out of character for the NHL DOPS. My theory is this is a reactionary move on their part and doubled down on suspending Scheifele because of the backlash of not suspending Wilson.

10 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Kinda weirded out. This has to be the first one of these videos where I’ve watched and just sat there nodding my head and agreeing with every point they made, through the entirety of the explanation, and even including the final decision on the number of games suspension.

What the **** is happening?!?!? :frantic:

Ha ha I agree, both with you and actually with everything in the video from DoPS, including the length of the suspension. 4 games in the playoffs would be a lot more in the regular season but is still a suspension that hurts both Schiefele and his team considerably, so as a first time offender I think 4 games is about right.

That said - the length of the suspension is correct considering current standards. I don't think the Canadiens feel it's long enough for them to not go after him when he returns. Looking at it from that angle - the current standards maybe aren't that good after all, unless it's violent entertainment we seek.

3 hours ago, J-P said:

Ha ha I agree, both with you and actually with everything in the video from DoPS, including the length of the suspension. 4 games in the playoffs would be a lot more in the regular season but is still a suspension that hurts both Schiefele and his team considerably, so as a first time offender I think 4 games is about right.

That said - the length of the suspension is correct considering current standards. I don't think the Canadiens feel it's long enough for them to not go after him when he returns. Looking at it from that angle - the current standards maybe aren't that good after all, unless it's violent entertainment we seek.

I'm not sure they're going to get the chance. With the injuries to Stastny and DeMelo, and now this WPG might be pretty demoralized. MTL will have a full head of steam and everyone on that team is very motivated now if they weren't before. 

Unless someone on MTL does something really stupid this could be a short series. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2