The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will Scheifele be suspended and for how long?

Rate this topic

Will Scheifele be suspended and for how long?  

126 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Stick with what you said 

This means every single hit, is now a penalty if the oppossing player no longer has the puck.

The puck can now be 1 inch away, after player a passes it to a teamate, and then player B hits player A , and player B gets a penalty.

How much time elapsed from when the puck left Evans stick till S hit him?

you're stretching now. I'm not extrapolating to every hit. 

5 minutes ago, Whorvat said:

Scheifele actually had a play on that puck. Whether you'd like to think so or not.

The play being to separate his man from the puck so the team could go the other way for a chance at a game tying goal.

You can damn well bet his teammates and coach would not have taken kindly to anything but making an attempt to separate the man from the puck there

I think you'll be in the minority on this one. 

49 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Irrelavant

Not irrelevant. Could him not slowing down to predatorily go for a hit, have given him a chance to save a goal in a 4-3 game with a minute left? 

the answer is yes. Scheifele chose the hit over the defensive play and will pay a price for it. His team already paid a price, they’re down 1-0 and a star player for X amount of games.

I really don’t understand how any Canuck fan can defend him. He’s time and time again been such a whiny bit*h against us and has made several dirty plays against us, in scrums etc... He’s not at all a respectable player and he showed the hockey world what he really prioritized. His ego. Not his team. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Not irrelevant. Could him not slowing down to predatorily go for a hit, have given him a chance to save a goal in a 4-3 game with a minute left? 

the answer is yes. Scheifele chose the hit over the defensive play and will pay a price for it. His team already paid a price, they’re down 1-0 and a star player for X amount of games.

I really don’t understand how any Canuck fan can defend him. He’s time and time again been such a whiny bit*h against us and has made several dirty plays against us, in scrums etc... He’s not at all a respectable player and he showed the hockey world what he really prioritized. His ego. Not his team. 

Sorry, what is this "defensive play" that he could have opted for? :huh:

...and really, we should all condemn this hit based on what Sheifele has done against the Canucks in scrums? :wacko:

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

He has but even so while I’m sure we would enjoy the schadenfreude  if that happened to him, I wouldn’t defend a player who delivered a bad hit. A bad hit is a bad hit regardless of who is one the end of it 

certainly, a bad hit is a bad hit. that said, I'd be cool with someone taking a baseball swing to marchand's teeth, so it is what it is. 

1 hour ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Why?

Hitting is part of the game and I expect Petey to be aware of his surroundings, which he is quite good at. I doubt Petey would leave himself vulnerable like this. Looks like Scheiffle did let up in his strides for the hit. About the only thing he could have done otherwise was to stop and concede the goal which is something that will never happen in a Stanley Cup playoff game.

why? because if it WAS pettersson, despite your rationalization, the same people here defending schiefele would be sending his family death threats on twitter. 

10 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

...and really, we should all condemn this hit based on what Sheifele has done against the Canucks in scrums? :wacko:

Apparently poke checking it into his own net.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

MS chose a dangerous play, and it might cost the Jets the series. Even if it wasn't suspended, he woke the bear. 

The more times I watch that, its clear to me that MS could have avoided following through that way, it was stupid. 

In terms of what he could have done to prevent that goal, I'd say nothing. He was too late. 

2 minutes ago, tas said:

why? because if it WAS pettersson, despite your rationalization, the same people here defending schiefele would be sending his family death threats on twitter. 

Never been a big fan of "what ifs", but as long as we're doing this:

What if Sheifele gets there a split second earlier and keep Evans from scoring? He still skated the same speed...from the same distance....Evans is still injured....

Is it still a "dirty" play?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Scheifele should probably be out the series. 

I would give him 6 games. If he gets back in the Habs are gonna kill him. 

FYI it was also Jake Evans birthday today. 

:ph34r: Happy birthday.....with interest...

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

What if Sheifele gets there a split second earlier and keep Evans from scoring? He still skated the same speed...from the same distance....Evans is still injured....

yep, predatory and excessively violent, raffi torres style. and still charging, of course. 

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Apparently poke checking it into his own net.

Yeah, I'm not sure how much time those making that claim have spent on the ice, but I have a bit of experience and I saw no such opportunity....

...but I'm 60 now and my eyes aren't what they once were...

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

MS chose a dangerous play, and it might cost the Jets the series. Even if it wasn't suspended, he woke the bear. 

The more times I watch that, its clear to me that MS could have avoided following through that way, it was stupid. 

In terms of what he could have done to prevent that goal, I'd say nothing. He was too late. 

Interesting. I too have watched it several times, but it isn't "clear" to me at all.

I've been in far too many situations on the ice where these kinds of things are reactionary, rather than premeditated as you are suggesting. I suppose we can just agree to disagree.

18 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The defensive play is to not slow down to line up a hit and keep moving your feet in order to even attempt a pokecheck. Multiple videos online breaking it down. He wasn’t even a stick length away when the puck was being brought to the net, he tucked his stick in and committed to the dirty hit. 

Sure, you don’t care about how he acts when he plays us, that’s on you. I dislike him very much (although I really like his team), and I’m not surprised whatsoever that he chose to make this action. 

Countless times I’ve watched him do dirty things against us, or cry to the refs. I can’t understand how anybody on our side can defend him. He’s no Tkachuk, sure, but that’s a very low bar. 

23 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

This

8 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It’s still a charge, I don’t understand why this point keeps getting missed. It’s a dangerous play that could have been avoided. Everyone keeps saying that hitting him that way was the only way to prevent a goal, which is clearly wrong, seeing as he scored anyways. 

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

Interesting. I too have watched it several times, but it isn't "clear" to me at all.

I've been in far too many situations on the ice where these kinds of things are reactionary, rather than premeditated as you are suggesting. I suppose we can just agree to disagree.

I just think MS had time to hold up a bit. He certainly didn't help his case with the big follow through. 

It was pretty clear the puck was going in, its not like MS would have had any kind of play on the puck after the hit. Maybe another WPG player might have been able to retrieve it tho if it wasn't going in. 

Its not that I don't think he had a right to hit Evans, he did, he just did it in a dumb way imo. 

18 minutes ago, tas said:

That's likely true, but on the other hand, if Pettersson was the one making the hit, the ones on here calling for a lengthy suspension would probably have a different take on it.

It's not too often we see this much discussion over a hit that doesn't involve a Canuck or Marchand/Reaves/Wilson.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I just think MS had time to hold up a bit. He certainly didn't help his case with the big follow through. 

It was pretty clear the puck was going in, its not like MS would have had any kind of play on the puck after the hit. Maybe another WPG player might have been able to retrieve it tho if it wasn't going in. 

Its not that I don't think he had a right to hit Evans, he did, he just did it in a dumb way imo. 

Yeah, like I said earlier, all of that stuff is possible, but IMO, none of it is "clear". I'm just not comfortable in assuming that I know what's going on in a player's head, especially with that much on the line.