The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will Scheifele be suspended and for how long?

Rate this topic

Will Scheifele be suspended and for how long?  

126 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Grape said:

I think he probably should have kept skating, which would've resulted in a clean play as he would've gotten to the puck faster.

Exactly. Scheifele is a good player and he's been in the league for 10 years, he's experienced, so he was perfectly aware of his options. I think he stopped taking strides because he knew he wasn't going to be able to prevent the goal, but saw a perfect opportunity to completely annihilate a defenseless Evans, so he positioned himself just perfectly to do that. He was frustrated with how the game went and it showed. It was a vicious hit in my opinion.

Edited by Rubik

I hate the hit and think it was unnecessary but I don't know what they get him on if it's a suspension. With the glide he changes his angle so I'm not sold it's charging and the speed is justified by the play, it wasn't a traditional charge to lay a hit. He doesn't leave his feet and his arms are tucked as he explodes into him. The hit wasn't late either- he nearly prevented it the goal as the timing was bang on. Arguably Evans is even at fault cutting in and putting himself in a sketchy position (although players are normally aware enough to recognise the danger of a hit in that spot). 

There is some contact with the head although it doesn't look like the principle point of contact. Maybe that's what they get him on? I'd love to see an overhead play of the hit so you can see his full line to Evans and I'm guessing the NHL will have that angle to try and confirm charging.

It's a scary play and one that just does not happen often. 99% of the game there is a goalie there so the attacking player isn't cutting in front at that angle and you don't tend to see a lot of wraparound empty netters with that separation either- both players are normally closer to the puck.

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

the head wasn't even the principal point of contact. he exploded in to Evans' chest and the end result was his head hitting the ice. it's an ugly result and Schiefele's probably gonna have to answer for that if he doesn't get suspended, cause you know, "the code." if he does get suspended, probably gonna be one game. i'd be surprised if its more than 2

Was just reading that Joel Edmudson stated" if he gets back in the series,we're going to make his life miserable".

I have watched the play a dozen times and it looks to me like he was always going to take out Evans goal or not.

If the NHL are serious about concussion injuries they will suspend him for the rest of the series.

Hope Jake comes out off this OK.

Edited by Ilunga

7 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Was just reading that Joel Edmudson stated" if he gets back in the series,we're going to make his life miserable".

I have watched the play a dozen times and it looks to me like he was always going to take out Evans goal or not.

If the NHL are serious about concussion injuries they will suspend him for the rest of the series.

Hope Jake comes out off this OK.

the only guy on that habs team who can even attempt to take on schiefele would be perry. if they wanna spend their whole time trying to take on one guy, they gonna end up like vegas when they treid to take out graves, and got scored on 7 times. just move on from it and focus on WINNING instead of trying to go "blood for blood" it's stupid

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Dunno about this one. Bad hit for sure but Evans made the contact almost inevitable cutting in like that straight towards Sheifele who was coming in hot trying to protect his goal and stay in the game. Mark made a bad decision committing to the hit but Evans made a bad decision too exposing himself to it. Maybe he though he had more time?  

Most players, in that situation, would find it hard to veer off and poke check I think. 

That said, it was charging and a dangerous play, well deserving of a few games suspension. 

Edited by Skip Spence
  • Vintage 1

35 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

the only guy on that habs team who can even attempt to take on schiefele would be perry. if they wanna spend their whole time trying to take on one guy, they gonna end up like vegas when they treid to take out graves, and got scored on 7 times. just move on from it and focus on WINNING instead of trying to go "blood for blood" it's stupid

I agree the habs should stick to playing hockey,not fighting.

Hopefully the NHL suspends scheifele for the rest of the series and there will be no need for retaliation.

I would prefer the Jets to win however no matter how many times I watch that play I can only conclude he was trying to inflict injury on Evans.

The guys had several concussions before and this could be the end of his career.

That not only means making money but playing a game he loves.

And that is not the end of it either as an athlete who has suffered at least six serious concussions I am now paying the price.

Headaches,loss of memory,words on the tip of my tongue but I cannot retrieve them.

Take it from me, concussions suck.

1 hour ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

If Schiefele plays another game in the series and he’s not a total punk ass bitch he’s going to have to answer the bell.  Perry, Weber, Chariot, Edmundson are all more than capable of handling the business.  Beyond that they’re not going to be head hunting, but he’ll be taking it a lot of big hits. 

19 minutes ago, tas said:

anyone in here arguing that it was a clean hit, not suspendable, pretend it was pettersson instead of jake evans and then reevaluate how you'd feel. 

pettersson is a superstar player. jake evans is not. that logic makes no sense in that context. even then, elias pettersson isnt going in and hotdogging an empty net goal

Edited by Twilight Sparkle

8 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

pettersson is a superstar player. jake evans is not. that logic makes no sense in that context. even then, elias pettersson isnt going in and hotdogging an empty net goal

Wtf? What difference does it make that Evans isn’t a superstar.  So it wouldn’t be ok if it’s Pettersson but  it’s fine because you haven’t heard of the kid? And how exactly was he hot dogging? Wow.  Just wow. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, qwijibo said:

CHARGING! 

You see 10 charges a game in the playoffs and not one is ever called, where players actually leave their feet. Scheifele's doesn't even leave his feet and glides around 5ft before hitting him. He is skating back trying to protect the net and Evans exposes himself to a hit and Scheifele takes the hit. It's a clean hit. 

honestly, all evans had to do was just dump it in and just keep it deep and run out the clock, like how every other player has done it in the playoffs. the game was already out of reach for the jets with a minute left. just left himself open there to get hit

Edited by Twilight Sparkle

2 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Wtf? What difference does it make that Evans isn’t a superstar.  So it wouldn’t be ok if it’s Pettersson but  it’s fine because you haven’t heard of the kid? And how exactly was he hot dogging? Wow.  Just wow. 

there was no need for the wraparound showmanship. there was a minute left. the game was over. that is hotdogging