The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Nolan Patrick requests trade

17 minutes ago, oldnews said:

An additional problem with a potential acquisition like this - beyond the price some of you are prepared to pay - is that, presumably, it would mean leaving a guy like Gadjovich exposed.

If someone can remind me - I don't recall the last time we had a 22 year old go on a 19 game tear scoring 15 goals for our AHL team.  That doesn't necessarily mean he's going to translate at the NHL level - but that is some eye-popping production from a guy who plays a heavy game.

Also happens to be one of the rare forwards in our system that 'creates a safe working environment' - and is a LW - where the team has fewer succession prospects than it does at RW, LD, or G....(and a few veterans expiring).

That has to be factored into the potential cost of any deal like this.

This team could use another powerforward, particularly a homegrown one.

They can use their ELCs.

Agreed by trading for NP that would force us to protect a damaged good project and expose a good up and coming prospect like Gadget or Lind. I believe one of these will be exposed anyways due to not having enough spots to protect but by trading for NP. You are already making up your mind protecting him over JG and KL. 

Just noticed you said 1st round. Sorry not all mentioned above are all 1st rounders but most are.

Edited by EP Phone Home

7 minutes ago, oldnews said:

If someone can remind me - I don't recall the last time we had a 22 year old go on a 19 game tear scoring 15 goals for our AHL team.  That doesn't necessarily mean he's going to translate at the NHL level - but that is some eye-popping production from a guy who plays a heavy game.

Well, we did have a 24 yr old pot 9 goals in 4 games (en route to 28 goals in 53 games) in the AHL 2 seasons before. Checks in at 6'4" and 214 lbs, also plays a heavy game, but, and here's the kicker, can skate like the wind.

Justin Bailey says "Hi"

• RoughGame 1

12 minutes ago, oldnews said:

An additional problem with a potential acquisition like this - beyond the price some of you are prepared to pay - is that, presumably, it would mean leaving a guy like Gadjovich exposed.

Also happens to be one of the rare forwards in our system that 'creates a safe working environment' - and is a LW - where the team has fewer succession prospects than it does at RW, LD, or G....(and a few veterans expiring).

That has to be factored into the potential cost of any deal like this.

This team could use another powerforward, particularly a homegrown one.

They can use their ELCs.

God forbid we expose the 55OA17 because we acquired the 2OA17…

• RoughGame 1

24 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Anyone this decade? Morrisey Provarov I'm having trouble thinking of any other 1st round WHLers actually who are actually good. Dach maybe?

Barzel, Eberle, Jamie Benn,Gallagher Brayden Schenn, RNH, Reilly,Reinhart,Carter Hart, Bowen Byram,Draisaitl and yes Dach are just a few the last ten years or so. All from the dub

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Me_ said:

God forbid we expose the 55OA17 because we acquired the 2OA17…

irrelevent take.

God forbid we expose the 210OA99 or 212OA99 because we acquire the 1OA99....

Edited by oldnews
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Oh ya he's pretty good I rescind my comment.

no worries.

Arrow derailed the thread with a bunch of mindless bait posts....

Probably better not to bother engaging that guy at all.

the concerns with Patrick would obviously have nothing to do with where he played.

It would have to do with whether he's ever going to be 'himself' again - the player he was - the potential he had.

There are probably extremely sound reasons why AV and the Flyers inched him along this year.

But at the end of the day - he played with guys like Vorachek, Giroux, Konecny, Lindblom, Hayes, JVR...in other words, players the outproduced him dramatically.

He had 52 games at 1:44 of ice time on the powerplay - and had 2pp goals and 1 assist....

It's no doubt hard for him to accept what has happened to his career - and perhaps he feels he's being held back, or is having difficulty accepting what his coaches, trainers, etc are saying to him there - who knows? - but aside from being a good young faceoff guy, the outcomes are really poor all around.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Well played.

To be clear - I'm not projecting Gadjovich to be our next breakout top 6 forward - I'm simply saying that while he has also faced some injury setbacks - he's healthy now - and he's on track to compete for a roster spot (and fills a secondary need imo). 

And he'd likely be a secondary casualty of a deal like this - so you have to factor in both the principal in that deal and the fact that you're then moving your forwards another spot down the e.d. exposure list....

• Vintage 1

If Nolan Patrick wants a new start and they are willing to trade him of course it would be something to look at . Sure they would ask for Too much but the Canucks  need centers and if a new home turned things around for him [ Bryan Allen had a really bad time with injuries but ended up with a decent career yes lots of injuries but played 13 years in the NHL  . I would wait till after the ED and Seattle has picked a Canuck . really don't won't to lose both Lind and Gadjovich this summer not even sure I would trade either . Still hoping OJ keeps improving and becomes the player the Canucks drafted and I don't think anybody would trade for JV this summer but he does need a move if he Plays in the NHL . [ caution once he is away from his hometown he might become more of the player everybody expected . he did well when in Calgary and Utica ] So he would be the one I would look to trade . I really like JV as a player and am not trying to run him out of town just think it would be best for both and would like to give Nolan a  shot .

Edited by Nurnge
If JV is cleared or the case against his is dropped of course

2 hours ago, BPA said:

Patrick for Virtanen?

Both players need a fresh start. 

Pre rape allegations this would have been the deal to make for sure. Jake won't hold much value if found innocent, still is a black mark on his resume that teams would look away from. Maybe a bottom feeder like Buffalo would sign him after he is bought out here or had his contract destroyed if found guilty

1 hour ago, EP Phone Home said:

Barzel, Eberle, Jamie Benn,Gallagher Brayden Schenn, RNH, Reilly,Reinhart,Carter Hart, Bowen Byram,Draisaitl and yes Dach are just a few the last ten years or so. All from the dub

Not that many when you consider that is over 10 years, of course the league will produce NHLers but it seems to have dropped off in the WHL from previous times. Maybe all other leagues have stepped up their efforts in the hockey world giving more options for teams

5 hours ago, Jester13 said:

OJ has historically taken time to adjust to each level of play, but then he adjusts and is one of the best defenseman on the ice. He's going to be a great player for us, and selling low right now right before he breaks into the league full time is a bad idea.

Rathbone is a highly touted d prospect that you might want to wake up on. Sorry, but that's an overpayment and atrocious proposal, ha!

OJ might legit have had the worst hand dealt for prospects in a wild with his injuries than riding the taxi squad to getting COVID 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

JV for Patrick - seems to be a more fair deal. 

After a whole day of discussions on this site, yes. This seems perfectly fair.

Change of scenery for both boys.

Virtanen’s lifestyle.

Edited by Me_

1 minute ago, Dats hockey said:

OJ might legit have had the worst hand dealt for prospects in a wild with his injuries than riding the taxi squad to getting COVID 

Totally. He has late-bloomer written all over him. I still think his ceiling is Edler. 

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

Totally. He has late-bloomer written all over him. I still think his ceiling is Edler. 

His breakout pass is something of dreams though help the Canucks tragic transition game, hopefully get away from the alway dump and chase(change) scheme green runs

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1