The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Nolan Patrick requests trade

49 minutes ago, Me_ said:

For the 22yr old 2OA17 & the 13OA21.

If Rathbone is the highlight of our defense, the Canucks are in much bigger trouble than we thought.

Sigh. Someone said it already, but if draft pedigree meant anything, Nail Yakupov would be making six mill on, the blues was it?

hes had two 30 point seasons, a career full of injuries, and he has missed a year?

Hes not worth much. 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Nucksownyou said:

Umm, Rathbone has shown great potential. I don;t know what the hell your problem is with him. Your proposal is garbage for someone ho doesn't actually have as much value as you think.

Cool. 
I don’t know what the “hell my problem is” either.

• Haha 1

Extend Rafferty, a RHD, and offer him and a 2022 2nd for Patrick

If OJ is expendable, deal with Seattle .... leave him unprotected so long as they take Eriksson in a trade (mb a 5th in 2023, or something like that)

13 minutes ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Sigh. Someone said it already, but if draft pedigree meant anything, Nail Yakupov would be making six mill on, the blues was it?

hes had two 30 point seasons, a career full of injuries, and he has missed a year?

Hes not worth much. 

draft position is a point of pride for a GM. None of them want to admit they picked badly by dumping a high pick. 

But trading for another high pick? that you can sell, at least a little better than a dump. 

1 minute ago, Me_ said:

How good is Juolevi?

As good as the coach wants.

Same for Patrick.

Honestly I don't think very. However I could see Nolan finding his way. Where as much as I want to I just don't see Juolevi becoming a top 4 and I think there are better options on the market for a bottom pairing LHD

• Vintage 1

10 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I have said it many times never pick a WHL player unless you want to waste a pick especially in the 1st round

LOL 

I would rather pick a BCHLer than a WHLer in the 1sr round

Never mind give up on OJ who played OHL and a 9th round pick

WHLer are a waste of time especially for a 1st round pick

Just No thanks on any WHLer

They suck 

So right I wouldn't even trade a bag of pucks for a WHLer

Yup WHLer for WHler that's as far as I would go. 

WHLers aren't worth anything else

RHD are woth something WHLers aren't

He's broken not because of injuries 

He is broken because he played in the WHL

WHLers have inflated numbers bad attitudes. Patrick wont ever be more than what he is now. OJ will become a solid Defensive defenseman with some offensive upside. Patrick will be out of the league by the time he is 26 years old playing in Europe.

From 2019, but still refutes your crappy takes on the Dub:

https://www.dubnetwork.ca/interviews/nhl-draft-profiles/nhl-draft/the-whl-at-the-nhl-draft/

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Honestly I don't think very. However I could see Nolan finding his way. Where as much as I want to I just don't see Juolevi becoming a top 4 and I think there are better options on the market for a bottom pairing LHD

Same. 
when they drafted him, I feel the Canucks rode Finland’s one-time success.

1 hour ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Hes not worth much. 

Yakupov was the McDavid of atrocious picks.

Edited by Me_
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Yup WHLer for WHler that's as far as I would go. 

WHLers aren't worth anything else

“WHLers aren’t worth anything else” really???

Joe Sakic (Swift Current Broncos, 1986-88)

When Sakic retired from the NHL in 2009, he had tallied 1641 points (625g-1016a) in 1378 regular season games which sits ninth all-time in NHL scoring. His 188 playoff points (84g-104a) in 172 contests are ranked eighth all-time.

Sakic is a member of the elite Triple Gold Club. In addition to winning the Stanley Cup, Sakic won an Olympic gold medal in 2002 and a World Championship gold medal in 1994 with Team Canada. For all his accomplishments throughout his distinguished hockey career, Sakic was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame

as part of the 2012 class.

Bob Clarke (Flin Flon Bombers, 1967-69)

In international play as a member of Team Canada, Clarke helped Canada defeat Russia in the 1972 Summit Series, won the 1976 Canada Cup and captured a bronze medal at the 1982 IIHF World Championship. For all his accomplishments throughout his illustrious hockey career, Clarke was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame as part of the 1987 class. His jersey has also been retired by the Flin Flon Bombers and Philadelphia Flyers.

Carey Price (Tri-City Americans, 2003-07)

The 28-year-old goaltender has played his entire nine-year NHL career so far with the Montreal Canadiens. In 2014-15, Price had a season to remember as he racked up numerous individual awards. Price’s exceptional campaign earned him the Hart Memorial Trophy as the most valuable player in the NHL as well as the Ted Lindsay Award as the NHL’s most valuable player as selected by the National Hockey League Players’ Association. In addition, the netminder received the Vezina Trophy as the NHL’s best goalie and the William M. Jennings Trophy. Price also became the second WHL graduate to earn the Lou Marsh Award as Canada’s top athlete in 2015. Price had the opportunity to represent his country once again in 2014 and won an Olympic Gold medal between the pipes for Team Canada.

Bryan Trottier (Swift Current/Lethbridge Broncos, 1972-75)

At the end of his 18-year NHL career, Trottier had recorded 1425 points (524g-901a) in 1279 regular season games which sits 16th all-time in NHL scoring. His 184 playoff points (71g-113a) in 221 contests are ranked 11th all-time. The native of Val Marie, SK also won a silver medal for Team Canada at the 1981 Canada Cup. For all his accomplishments throughout his illustrious hockey career, Trottier was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame as part of the 1997 class. Recently, Trottier was inducted into the Canada Sports Hall of Fame.

Scott Niedermayer (Kamloops Blazers, 1989-92)

His NHL career lasted 17 years including 12 seasons with the Devils before ending with the Anaheim Ducks. When Niedermayer retired in 2010, he had registered 740 points (172g-574a) in 1263 regular season games and recorded 98 points (25g-73a) in 202 playoff contests. Over his illustrious career, Niedermayer raised the Stanley Cup a total of four times including three with the Devils (1995, 2000 and 2003). In his 2007 Stanley Cup victory with the Ducks, Niedermayer was awarded the Conn Smythe Trophy as the MVP of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Niedermayer also collected a James Norris Memorial Trophy as the NHL’s best defenceman in 2003-04.

Niedermayer is a member of the elite Triple Gold Club. In addition to winning the Stanley Cup, Niedermayer won two Olympic gold medals in 2002 and 2010 as well as a World Championship gold medal in 2004 with Team Canada. For all his accomplishments in his distinguished hockey career, Niedermayer was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame as part of the 2013 class. In addition, his jersey has been retired by the Kamloops Blazers and New Jersey Devils.

Just a few examples of all time greats that came from the WHL. That comment is just silly and untrue Arrow.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

This truly made me laugh Virtanen the next Leclair will never happen.

LeClair was a big slow net front presence that shovelled pucks into the net.  Nothing about jakes game or skill set is like LeClair.  This is a random name a big winger comment.

So, how do you feel about WHL players?

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

LeClair was a big slow net front presence that shovelled pucks into the net.  

if Jake was willing to do that, it would be a much different story here on him (aside from the legal stuff).

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

Nothing about jakes game or skill set is like LeClair.  This is a random name a big winger comment.

So, how do you feel about WHL players?

this is kind of a curious thing in the recent drafts tho, really only 4 significant F's in the top 10 in the last 7 years is kind of an interesting trend. 

I saw a lot of Patrick when he was in junior. He was a slick player with a killer edge and the guy that you wanted on the ice when the game was on the line.

I think injuries have taken their toll. I could see him becoming a Malholtra type of player and reinventing his game from a top line forward to being one of the best shut down 3C's in the league but the fact he is requesting a trade makes me think he hasn't come to terms with this yet.

As much as I have liked the player in the past I think he is not the player we need in the future at this point of time.

Edited by GarthButcher5

3 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

I would happily swap Juolevi and a late pick (or Juolevi + Lind) for him if they're forced into selling below value

Re-sign Hawryluk and re-unite the 2015-2016 Brandon Wheat Kings

Patrick is still quite young and was rushed a bit. Alain Vigneault is terrible at developing young talent (we all witnessed this). He wouldn't be coming here with the pressure to perform like a #2 overall pick. Juolevi's been surpassed by Rathbone and is pretty expendable from a Canucks' standpoint.

what?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

All NHL D get beat wide, especially when the attack comes off a neutral zone, or high offence zone, turnover.  It’s why the bigger guys, like Chara, pretty much retreat to their dot, and only engage if the forward tries to go east west.  

OJ will be fine.  I expect him to be a 18 to 22 minute D man for us next season.  

people also might want to stop micro sampling Juolevi post outbreak.  

He looked extremely solid in the first half of the season -  before he got extremely ill - I was concerned a bit down the stretch - but didn't realize he was playing at a fraction - the reports are unambiguous.

• Upvote 3

An additional problem with a potential acquisition like this - beyond the price some of you are prepared to pay - is that, presumably, it would mean leaving a guy like Gadjovich exposed.

If someone can remind me - I don't recall the last time we had a 22 year old go on a 19 game tear scoring 15 goals for our AHL team.  That doesn't necessarily mean he's going to translate at the NHL level - but that is some eye-popping production from a guy who plays a heavy game.

Also happens to be one of the rare forwards in our system that 'creates a safe working environment' - and is a LW - where the team has fewer succession prospects than it does at RW, LD, or G....(and a few veterans expiring).

That has to be factored into the potential cost of any deal like this.

This team could use another powerforward, particularly a homegrown one.

They can use their ELCs.

• Cheers 2