The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Friedman: Dougie Hamilton given permission to talk to other teams re: sign and trade

7 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Those are pretty good ideas but I’m not sure if I’d feel comfortable with Hamonic being on a top pairing.  He’s a good 2nd pairing option but a first pairing assignment might be asking too much out of him.   Risto will also be a UFA in 2 seasons.  

Zadorov would be a nice add however, depending on the asking price.

It is a bit of a mirage being on the top pair.  He wouldn't be playing the PP when Hughes would be so would end up the low minute man probably along with Rathbone.  If Hughes is playing 22 minutes a night, but 5 minutes of that is on the PP, then that means Hamonic is only playing 17 minutes.  Whoever Hughes is partnered with is going to play effectively 3rd pairing minutes due to the PP time.

A Zadorov-Risto pairing would probably play the most with a lot of 5v5 and PK time... but all three pairs could be counted on relatively well.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sometimes you just need to get better, and the ideal move isn't possible tho. 

Ehhhhh... I hear ya. I'm a big proponent of improve always, any way possible. But if we commit to him this year, next year it's harder to go after Parayko, Risto etc as you've already committed those dollars.

It's not a no but... You'd need a second plan to clear the cap next year too still target one of those guys that's a better fit.

• Cheers 1

Wow. No shortage of big right-handed D potentially on the market/headed to FA in the not too distant future: Jones, Hamilton, Ristolainen, Parayko, etc. With the Shaw hiring, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we pursued one of these big names. I love the idea above of adding Zadorov and Ristolainen to our blueline. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Wow. No shortage of big right-handed D potentially on the market/headed to FA in the not too distant future: Jones, Hamilton, Ristolainen, Parayko, etc. With the Shaw hiring, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we pursued one of these big names. I love the idea above of adding Zadorov and Ristolainen to our blueline. 

Right? Next year has a ton of high quality D that could hit the market. Macavoy, Fox, Lindholm, Werenksi, list goes on and on. While the majority of these players will likely be resigned, I reckon we will see a good 3 or 4 quality D hit the market next year. If we save our dollars, it could play huge dividends next year.

• Vintage 2

Just now, shayster007 said:

Right? Next year has a ton of high quality D that could hit the market. Macavoy, Fox, Lindholm, Werenksi, list goes on and on. While the majority of these players will likely be resigned, I reckon we will see a good 3 or 4 quality D hit the market next year. If we save our dollars, it could play huge dividends next year.

Hampus Lindholm would be awesome. I can't believe he's only 27 too. He almost seems ancient at this stage. :lol:

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Provost said:

It is a bit of a mirage being on the top pair.  He wouldn't be playing the PP when Hughes would be so would end up the low minute man probably along with Rathbone.  If Hughes is playing 22 minutes a night, but 5 minutes of that is on the PP, then that means Hamonic is only playing 17 minutes.  Whoever Hughes is partnered with is going to play effectively 3rd pairing minutes due to the PP time.

A Zadorov-Risto pairing would probably play the most with a lot of 5v5 and PK time... but all three pairs could be counted on relatively well.

Well said.

One other concern that I have with Hamonic is his age.   To what money and term are we signing Hamonic to?  Given his age and style of play, would it be worth it?   Maybe it’s just me but I’d much rather make a longer term investment in a guy like Adam Larsson, who’d be a legit top pairing Edler replacement.  

I realize that I’m likely overrating Larsson, but he’s a proven top pairing guy. 

2 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Hampus Lindholm would be awesome. I can't believe he's only 27 too. He almost seems ancient at this stage. :lol:

I like Lindholm as well but the idea of moving our 1st makes me uncomfortable.  I will admit that I’ve flip flopped on this issue numerous times however. 

1 minute ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Tends to happen when a defensemen enters the league at what.. 20? I feel like he was really young.

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Ehhhhh... I hear ya. I'm a big proponent of improve always, any way possible. But if we commit to him this year, next year it's harder to go after Parayko, Risto etc as you've already committed those dollars.

It's not a no but... You'd need a second plan to clear the cap next year too still target one of those guys that's a better fit.

yeah. In trying to figure out the various permutations that we'd have to do, its just too much. 

Plus that dick JP Barry is involved and thats often bad for us. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

I like Lindholm as well but the idea of moving our 1st makes me uncomfortable.  I will admit that I’ve flip flopped on this issue numerous times however. 

Anaheim is rebuilding and has a lot of exciting young talent coming up. Maybe they'd be interested in a player like Rathbone as part of a package for Lindholm (not including the 9th pick)? Lindholm would come right in and eat up the minutes that a younger Edler would have.

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs

34 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I’m thinking Carolina is just letting him see what his market value is.

I bet him and his agent probably think he’s worth closer to 10 million. The market probably values him closer to 8 though.

I think thats why the whole sign and trade thing is out there, with the flat cap Dougie wants a full 8 years to make up for it.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Anaheim is rebuilding an has a lot of exciting young talent coming up. Maybe they'd be interested in a player like Rathbone as part of a package for Lindholm (not including the 9th pick)? Lindholm would come right in and eat up the minutes that a younger Edler would have.

Trust me, I agree with everything you’re saying.  I LOVE Lindholm and would rather have Lindholm at what his future AAV would be (6.5 million?) as opposed to a Hamilton or Jones who would be well over 9 million.

Call me a miser, but I just don’t like the idea of moving Rathbone, or any other really good young asset.  Many people believe that Rathbone could actually end up being more well rounded than Hughes and so why move a guy like that?......especially if he’ll be a nice cost controlled asset for us on an ELC?

Having said that, I wholeheartedly agree with you that we need an Edler replacement (which is why I was so high on Lindholm as well), but all things considered, I’d rather just take a run at Adam Larsson.  Larsson is not the sexiest option, and probably is a bit overrated, but he’s a right handed defensive minded defenseman that can handle top pairing assignment......and he’d only cost money.

Edited by Patel Bure

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

Good D but not the D we're looking for IMO.

Might have to wait until next year's free agency when guys like Parayko, Risto, Lindholm etc are potentially available (and we'll have more cap).

I am really hoping the approach this off season is a couple of expansion draft trades to maybe get a few undervalued good young players and, whether that works or doesnt, 1 year UFA fill ins at reasonable cap hits to set the table for next summer.

Woukd even be fine with Edler and Sutter back on cheap 1 year deals with no ntc.

Really dont care to see theCanucks swing for the fences with this UFA crop tbh. Will be fine if they dont try to go all in this year. 

• Cheers 1

Pass, the curious case of Dougie Hamilton frightens me.  He has very good numbers anywhere he goes, he has size, he's RHD, yet nobody wants to hold on to him.   There has to be a unknown variable (attitude, character, entourage) that's makes him expendable.  Also, Dreger speaking of an 8th year that would bring him to 35 years old, make me not touch this guy.   Once his offensive production dips, that contract will be a Seabrook type of burden.

We need a Shea Weber type of RHD to complement Hughes.  Despite the size difference, Hamilton is too much like Hughes.  We need an all-around defensemen, 1st pair caliber player to play with Hughes (which is no easy task to find, though).  But let's not handcuffed our self with Hamilton.

1 minute ago, Patel Bure said:

Trust me, I agree with everything you’re saying.  I LOVE Lindholm and would rather have Lindholm at what his future AAV would be (6.5 million?) as opposed to a Hamilton or Jones who would be well over 9 million.

Call me a miser, but I just don’t like the idea of moving Rathbone, or any other really good young asset.  Many people believe that Rathbone could actually end up being more well rounded than Hughes and so why move a guy like that?......especially if he’ll be a nice cost controlled asset for us on an ELC?

Having said that, I wholeheartedly agree with you that we need an Edler replacement (which is why I was so high on Lindholm as well), but all things considered, I’d rather just take a run at Adam Larsson.  Larsson is not the sexiest option, and probably is a bit overrated, but he’s a right handed defensive minded defenseman that can handle top pairing assignment......and he’d only cost money.

I'm a Larsson fan. Yes, I know he leaves a sour taste in many fans mouths because of the Hall trade, and if we were to sign him, like Myers, our media would eat him alive and would be one of the most unpopular Canucks before he even plays a game, but he'd make a near perfect partner for Hughes. He can eat up 25-30 mins if asked too, and is a pure defensive D. He was a shot-blocking machine this last season for the Oil.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Anaheim is rebuilding and has a lot of exciting young talent coming up. Maybe they'd be interested in a player like Rathbone as part of a package for Lindholm (not including the 9th pick)? Lindholm would come right in and eat up the minutes that a younger Edler would have.

Manson would also be a good option if we can work out an extension first.

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Pretty sure if we offer sheet Makar and successfully bring him to Vancouver that we'd have to trade Quinn Hughes.  I would probably be ok with that.  

Come back to Canada, Cale!  :gocan:

I’d just like to point out Cale Makar isn’t what Colorado is centered around but Hughes in Vancouver is if you think Makar does what he does on the Avs in Vancouver you are sadly mistaken 

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It is, but I'd rather see what we've got in Rathbone before pulling the trigger 

I'd rather see what's available in UFA next offseason, Hamilton may be able to produce but we clearly need more than that 

its true. The toolbox he does have is pretty good. In a vacuum, I'd be pretty happy with him at ~7 mil. 

I don't think we saw Schmidt used to his full skill set last year either, so we might be able to get 30-40 pts out of Nate if deployed correctly. 

55 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Hamilton signing for 7 million with us is extremely unrealistic.  He could sign for that much in Carolina (which would be a very big discount by the way) and pay WAY less in taxes there than he would here, while also being on a team that is close to being a cup contender.

Essentially, you’d be asking for Hamilton to come here for substantially below market value, play for a worse team, and play in a city where taxes and general cost of living is much greater.  I can’t see it happening.

agreed. I regretted that as soon as I typed it. 

• Cheers 1

Hard pass on Hamilton.

Have said it many times, so gonna keep it brief/Cole's notes here - but simply not a good fit for us.

What 'we' need is the guy that has been partnered with Hamilton, not 'Dougie'.

Chara

Giordano

Slavin

We don't have that player - and if we did, we'd need that player to partner with Hughes.

Hamilton = no thanks.  Good player, but also one of the more inflated players throughout his career imo.  Just not interested - makes nowhere near enough sense.

Side note: teams should avoid getting sucked into this ploy imo.

'Wise' move for Carolina perhaps - attempting to extract an expiring return - like they did out of Edmundson....but if I'm one of the teams 'negotiating' in the present, I'm talking free agency with him - what would be offered after he expires, not catering to Carolina's needs - who are hedging - and no doubt expect to get more out of this than they did Edmundson's rights.

I'd call their bluff - and recommend they go ahead and re-sign him....The expansion draft complication imo 'should' preclude them getting away with this. Some team might get sucked in / that would not be my team if it were up to me.

Hamilton would be/'should be' a hard pass for the Canucks imo.

• Cheers 2