The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Friedman: Dougie Hamilton given permission to talk to other teams re: sign and trade

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its true. The toolbox he does have is pretty good. In a vacuum, I'd be pretty happy with him at ~7 mil. 

I don't think we saw Schmidt used to his full skill set last year either, so we might be able to get 30-40 pts out of Nate if deployed correctly. 

Depends on the price, both to sign and to acquire him, there will be plenty of teams sniffing around

But I still question his fit

I'm fully expecting to see a better Schmidt, I thought he got better as the season went on tbh

He was a top D for Vegas, but it was also his first season with a new team/playing a new structure/it was a Covid season/ect

Last season was a disaster, hopefully with some fresh blood in the coaching staff we'll see a better team as a whole 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Vintage 2

20 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah. In trying to figure out the various permutations that we'd have to do, its just too much. 

Plus that dick JP Barry is involved and thats often bad for us. 

Yeah, that's other problem. Not only is he not REALLY the fit for what we need... But he's also going to cost way more than those guys too.

By no means will guys like Parayko, Risto, Lindholm etc be cheap, but they're going to be a solid bit less than Hamilton will be.

• Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think thats why the whole sign and trade thing is out there, with the flat cap Dougie wants a full 8 years to make up for it.

I think Carolina still wants to re-sign him though.

This way they allow him to see his other offers without going to free agency. 

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

I’d just like to point out Cale Makar isn’t what Colorado is centered around but Hughes in Vancouver is if you think Makar does what he does on the Avs in Vancouver you are sadly mistaken 

Makar is dynamic offensively and solid and improving defensively. 

He is, at this point, far better than Hughes and would be far better for the Canucks to build around.

Having said that, there is no chance the Canucks are offer sheeting him or trading for him. Even if Benning did offer sheet him, no chance he gets him without a hugecontract overpayment and the loss of significant draft picks. 

If Colorado feels Makar wont sign with them, they will trade him for a huge haul. But he will sign with them. Or they will match any iffer and move others out as necessary.

• Haha 1

To Vancouver:

Jani Hakanpaa

To Carolina:

sweet fk all.

At a fraction of the contract - without wasting assets - and in free agency, a week after the expansion draft - where we don't have to spend an e.d. protection spot.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Makar is dynamic offensively and solid and improving defensively. 

He is, at this point, far better than Hughes and would be far better for the Canucks to build around.

Having said that, there is no chance the Canucks are offer sheeting him or trading for him. Even if Benning did offer sheet him, no chance he gets him without a hugecontract overpayment and the loss of significant draft picks. 

If Colorado feels Makar wont sign with them, they will trade him for a huge haul. But he will sign with them. Or they will match any iffer and move others out as necessary.

Far better is a stretch I see it as neck and neck with a slight edge to Makar but I’d like to here you elaborate on how he is FAR better  

20 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, that's other problem. Not only is he not REALLY the fit for what we need... But he's also going to cost way more than those guys too.

By no means will guys like Parayko, Risto, Lindholm etc be cheap, but they're going to be a solid bit less than Hamilton will be.

I guess with Risto, you don't want to pay much either. Would you be willing to expose Schmidt if Jim picked up Risto?

1 minute ago, Dats hockey said:

Far better is a stretch I see it as neck and neck with a slight edge to Makar but I’d like to here you elaborate on how he is FAR better  

Far better isnt really a stretch. No way are they neck and neck at this point. 

Makar does not create his offense only at the expense of his defensive play. Hughes right now is at best a borderline net positive to the team in that regard though. He has a long way to go defensively.

Makar has improved significantly on the defensive side without it eroding his offensive ability in any significant way. Hughes needs to do the same. With Shaw around we will soon see how much Hughes offense will be impacted by being forced to become a better defensive player. Hopefully he will be able to do so and still be a great offensive player. 

I understand the need for people to overrate Hughes because he is a Canuck. If he was on any other team though, many here who claim he is among the best Dmen in the NHL would freely point out his defensive deficiencies as a reason why he actually isnt. Being objective about him is easier for some than others,same with any Canucks player.

At this point though, I think any GM in the league would trade Hughes for Makar straight up and consider it a massive steal. 

On the Hamilton front, I agree with a few of my usual nemesis that he is really not the need we have to fill, especially not at the likely contract it would take plus assets to acquire him.

If the Canucks go all in on Hamilton they would likely need to trade Hughes for a package that includes a top pairing LHD who can play the left side effectively with him. Because we dont have one now.

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Manson would also be a good option if we can work out an extension first.

My only concern with Manson is that players who play with such physicality are far more likely to “fall off a Cliff” after the age of 30.  Like your Brent Seabrooks, Andrew Ladd’s, Milan Lucic’s etc.  

25 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

At the moment, Maker is the better player; certainly a lot more complete.  Of course, he also plays on a far better team.

Let Carolina re-up Hamilton.

Carolina is in a tough spot with expansion imo.

There is virtually no way they are going to avoid losing a good defenseman.

Hamilton expiring aside....

Skjei

Fleury

Bean

All likely to have to be exposed, or at least a pair of them.

If they re-sign Hamilton - they have only Slavin and Pesce effectively protected....they could deal players lower on their exposed list, or deal a Pesce and move everyone else up a spot - or just bite the bullet and accept a loss to Seattle, or deal with Seattle.

But in any event - I think the guys to target there are Pesce and/or Hakanpaa. 

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

If this is how badly we need a good RHD, should we try to move up as much as we can to get Brandt Clarke in this year's draft?

I probably wouldn't want to move up myself. We do badly need RHD in the future, but we also need them right now. Clarke likely won't be on the team for 3ish years. There is also so much uncertainty in this draft that we could end up with a major steal at our position. That all being said, Clarke would be best case scenario for the Canucks this draft.

6 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

My only concern with Manson is that players who play with such physicality are far more likely to “fall off a Cliff” after the age of 30.  Like your Brent Seabrooks, Andrew Ladd’s, Milan Lucic’s etc.  

All those guys had multiple deep playoff runs that added a lot of wear and tear.  We badly need a player like him.

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Far better isnt really a stretch. No way are they neck and neck at this point. 

Makar does not create his offense only at the expense of his defensive play. Hughes right now is at best a borderline net positive to the team in that regard though. He has a long way to go defensively.

Makar has improved significantly on the defensive side without it eroding his offensive ability in any significant way. Hughes needs to do the same. With Shaw around we will soon see how much Hughes offense will be impacted by being forced to become a better defensive player. Hopefully he will be able to do so and still be a great offensive player. 

I understand the need for people to overrate Hughes because he is a Canuck. If he was on any other team though, many here who claim he is among the best Dmen in the NHL would freely point out his defensive deficiencies as a reason why he actually isnt. Being objective about him is easier for some than others,same with any Canucks player.

At this point though, I think any GM in the league would trade Hughes for Makar straight up and consider it a massive steal. 

Their team is better. By a large margin. I’m sure if Hughes was in a system where they’re playing offence more than defense like colarado and have a better core of player and have depth and have a better coaching systems and have a goalie that’s up for the Vezina. MAKAR WOULDNT LOOK LIKE THIS ON THE CANUCKS!

he would have the plus minus just as bad as all the other canucks