The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Some UFA forwards flying under the radar

2 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

If there are no big trades or moves from JB this off season, our forward lineup in 2021-22 will probably look something like this:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Hoglander

Motte  XXXX  Podkolzin

Roussel  XXXX  Highmore

(MacEwen/Lind/Hawryluk)

I am projecting that:

• Beagle is on LTIR for the entire 2021-22 season.
  • Gadjovich is selected by Seattle. And Virtanen will be bought out.
  • Roussel is not able to be moved without spending assets and he may make a resurgence with more rehab work on his knee, so he stays on the roster as 4LW and as a PKer.
  • I don’t think MacEwen, Hawryluk, Michaelis or Lind have shown enough last season to have earned a regular spot on the roster.

So that leaves us with two positions to fill: 3C and 4C. We could trade assets or look to the UFA market.

Elsewhere I have shown that we will have less than $4m of cap space to spend on these forwards.

That’s not a lot of wriggle room and we need bang for buck.

Below are my suggested UFA forward targets. Let me know who you think would be affordable and why they would be a good fit in VAN?

3C = Barclay Goodrow. Contract offer: $2.5m x 3 years

Age 28, 6’2”, 215 lb.

20 pts in 55 games in 2020-21. Plays with grit and drops the gloves. FO = 50%. Regularly matched up against high quality opposition (QoC rel Corsi for % = 0.24) with 54% Dzone starts, Goodrow has GF/60 of 2.7 and GA/60 of 2.0. I think Goodrow would gel nicely with Motte and Podkolzin. No team will want to play against that line. Goodrow can also play a skilled game at LW and could be paired with Pettersson/Boeser at times and have Miller shifted to 3C for specific match ups or to create 3 scoring lines when desired. See below for his usage chart in TBL and more detailed stats.

4C = Freddie Gaudreau. Contract offer: $1.25m x 2 years

Age 28, 6’0”, 179 lb.

This Gaudreau is smaller than that Goodrow, but he has excellent stats to be a 4C. Only 10pts in 19 games this season, but his role is primarily as a shutdown center. FO = 53.7%. Regularly matched up against high quality opposition (QoC rel Corsi for % = 0.11) and with 72% Dzone starts, Gaudreau has GF/60 of 3.5 and GA/60 of 1.5. See below for his usage chart in PIT and more detailed stats.

Both of these forwards are excellent penalty killers and would form natural PK pairings of: Goodrow-Motte and Roussel-Gaudreau.

Projected forward lines for 2021-22:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Hoglander

Motte Goodrow Podkolzin

Roussel Gaudreau Highmore

(MacEwen)

Goodrow A.JPG

Goodrow B.JPG

Gaudreau A.JPG

Gaudreau B.JPG

One of the better reasoned thoughts I have seen. I would be pretty ok if this happened.

3 hours ago, Hogs & Podz said:

You're on a roll... Any ideas for D?

Yep we need a LD and a RD to fill the XXX and YYY gaps below and only have about $5m to spend:

XXX  Schmidt

Hughes  YYY

Rathbone Myers

(Juolevi)

XXX = Oleksiak. 6'7", 255 lb. Contract offer = $3m x 4 years. Good defensive defenseman. Should pair well with Schmidt and brings some size and intimidation to our blueline.

YYY = Hamonic. 6'2", 205 lb. Contract offer = $2m x 2 years. Has shown that he pairs well with Hughes. At even strength Hughes-Hamonic pairing were only -1, whereas when paired with Myers Hughes was -14 at ES. Should be even better pairing this season.

Oleksiak.JPG

Hamonic.JPG

hughes hamonic.JPG

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, c00kies said:

Gudrow and goodro

6 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Gud... branson :frantic:
I doubt Pittsburgh lets Gaudreau walk though, he was a solid member of their 4th line.

Let's see what Willie D thinks of that lineup...

image.jpeg.bc387a46b6a9d9152552c8ef45f4ba7c.jpeg

Hmm... seems we need to pick up Johnny as well...

Edited by Chickenspear

can goodrow be the driver of a line and take podkolzin under his wing? if not play him with petey and boes, and let JT drive the 3rd line and mentor pods. like the ideas. hopefully we could get sutter for the same money as gaudreau for 4th line c. i was listening to a blog yesterday and one guy mentioned that canucks were trying to work something out with seattle, or at least they were in discussions.

• Cheers 2

39 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

can goodrow be the driver of a line and take podkolzin under his wing? if not play him with petey and boes, and let JT drive the 3rd line and mentor pods. like the ideas. hopefully we could get sutter for the same money as gaudreau for 4th line c. i was listening to a blog yesterday and one guy mentioned that canucks were trying to work something out with seattle, or at least they were in discussions.

Pete can't take a regular faceoff and will get injured even more often without Miller.

• RoughGame 1

I think Goodrow would be a good pick-up for sure. Like you said, his underlying stats are solid & he's one of those guys who puts in a solid heart & soul game all the time. He has a ton of playoff experience "winning culture" over the past few years too. He's being trusted with 16-18 mins a night in the semi finals -

I haven't watched every Tampa game but pretty sure he's being utilized on the wing in these important games (played heavier C minutes in the season). With his limited offensive #s and that factor, I would have the same question as @smithers joe, can he drive a line with either Pods or Hoggie on his wing? If not, how does he fit into the Canucks' plans?

I think he would maybe be a shrewd winger pick-up who can play C at times, and bump Motte back to the 4th line, Roussel to 13th forward, and step into C as on as needed basis. I could also see Goodrow, Miller and Hoggie forming a solid high intensity offensive line if Miller is moved into C at times too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, smithers joe said:

Yes I believe he can drive that 3rd line. But with Motte-Goodrow-Podz they are going to be a fast, hard forechecking north-south style line. Not playing a cycle game. Goodrow's mentorship would be about professionalism, playoff experience, pushback, playing with heart. I would think that Goodrow and Miller would be interchangeable during a game as Green blends his lines quite often.

19 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

If there are no big trades or moves from JB this off season, our forward lineup in 2021-22 will probably look something like this:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Hoglander

Motte  XXXX  Podkolzin

Roussel  XXXX  Highmore

(MacEwen/Lind/Hawryluk)

I am projecting that:

• Roussel is not able to be moved without spending assets and he may make a resurgence with more rehab work on his knee, so he stays on the roster as 4LW and as a PKer.
  • I don’t think MacEwen, Hawryluk, Michaelis or Lind have shown enough last season to have earned a regular spot on the roster.

So that leaves us with two positions to fill: 3C and 4C. We could trade assets or look to the UFA market.

Elsewhere I have shown that we will have less than $4m of cap space to spend on these forwards.

Below are my suggested UFA forward targets. Let me know who you think would be affordable and why they would be a good fit in VAN?

Age 28, 6’2”, 215 lb.

20 pts in 55 games in 2020-21. Plays with grit and drops the gloves. FO = 50%. Regularly matched up against high quality opposition (QoC rel Corsi for % = 0.24) with 54% Dzone starts, Goodrow has GF/60 of 2.7 and GA/60 of 2.0. I think Goodrow would gel nicely with Motte and Podkolzin. No team will want to play against that line. Goodrow can also play a skilled game at LW and could be paired with Pettersson/Boeser at times and have Miller shifted to 3C for specific match ups or to create 3 scoring lines when desired. See below for his usage chart in TBL and more detailed stats.

Age 28, 6’0”, 179 lb.

This Gaudreau is smaller than that Goodrow, but he has excellent stats to be a 4C. Only 10pts in 19 games this season, but his role is primarily as a shutdown center. FO = 53.7%. Regularly matched up against high quality opposition (QoC rel Corsi for % = 0.11) and with 72% Dzone starts, Gaudreau has GF/60 of 3.5 and GA/60 of 1.5. See below for his usage chart in PIT and more detailed stats.

Both of these forwards are excellent penalty killers and would form natural PK pairings of: Goodrow-Motte and Roussel-Gaudreau.

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Hoglander

Motte Goodrow Podkolzin

(MacEwen)

Goodrow A.JPG

Goodrow B.JPG

Gaudreau A.JPG

Gaudreau B.JPG

Good proposal,  BN go ahead please.

21 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Hoglander

Motte  XXXX  Podkolzin

Roussel  XXXX  Highmore

(MacEwen/Lind/Hawryluk)

I am projecting that:

Age 28, 6’2”, 215 lb.

Age 28, 6’0”, 179 lb.

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Hoglander

Motte Goodrow Podkolzin

(MacEwen)

Goodrow A.JPG

Goodrow B.JPG

Gaudreau A.JPG

Gaudreau B.JPG

Cool, wouldn't mind it at all if this happened....

I don't mind it, but I also wouldn't be opposed to giving Graovac a shot next year either.  Big fella has had a lot of injury issues, and it looked like he was putting it all together at the end of this year.