Canucks Community

Worst nickname ever!

Rate this topic

Dumb Nuck

23 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Here are some NHL names

Ron Tugnutt

Cory Pecker who was drafted by the Flames 

Wacey Rabbit who was drafted by the Bruins.

Bill Quackenbush who played 1942 to 1956

Bob Beers

Par Djoos

Harry Dick 

Dave Snuggerud

Yutaka Fukufuji who was a goaltender drafted by the Kings 

Ron Tugnutt is an ATG name

imagine if he played against Burr and got chriped

Burrows: "Give your Bawls a tug....Tugnutt :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

John Garrett's lotto 649 nickname has to be one of the worst.   Hard to live that one down, I still hear guys call him that occasionally after all these years. 

i prefer hearing lotto line to the mattress line years ago (doesn't get any more intimidating than that  <_< )
)

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Jayinblack said:

i prefer hearing lotto line to the mattress line years ago (doesn't get any more intimidating than that  <_< )
)

well, I guess they were lucky not to be called the Pillow Tops

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, beni said:

Harry was a super nice guy, 

He ended up becoming a teacher and taught in Lytton at one point. Had him for a couple of my classes back in like 99/2000 ish. Honestly some of my fondest memories from being in school were some of his classes

Some of your fondest memories in school was Harry Dick?

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 2

Huggy Bear is an awesome nickname. Its leagues better than just taking a syllable from a player's name  and altering it somewhat like 99% of hockey nicknames. (Millsy, Mysey, Petey, Hogs, Demmer, etc).

The nicknames that sound like some ferocious animal or badass warriors are really, really cringy in real life. They're something you'd call your toddler. They're absolutely patronizing to refer to an adult man. They may work for your D&D campaign or whatever, but I sure wouldn't want to be known as something like 'Falcon' or 'Viking' or 'XxNightpainxX'. I assume guys that legitimately want to be referred to by something like that are the same ones that won't shut up about their katana collection.

Edited by McBackup
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, McBackup said:

Huggy Bear is an awesome nickname. Its leagues better than just taking a syllable from a player's name  and altering it somewhat like 99% of hockey nicknames. (Millsy, Mysey, Petey, Hogs, Demmer, etc).

The nicknames that sound like some ferocious animal or badass warriors are really, really cringy in real life. They're something you'd call your toddler. They're absolutely patronizing to refer to an adult man. They may work for your D&D campaign or whatever, but I sure wouldn't want to be known as something like 'Falcon' or 'Viking' or 'XxNightpainxX'. I assume guys that legitimately want to be referred to by something like that are the same ones that won't shut up about their katana collection.

I’d rather he not have a nick name then, Huggy bear sends the wrong message, last thing you want is your opponents thinking you’re cute but hey, we got Huggy bear, others have Stanley Cups. Sad thing, our coach is a Huggy Bear enabler. 

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

26 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I’d rather he not have a nick name then, Huggy bear sends the wrong message, last thing you want is your opponents thinking you’re cute but hey, we got Huggy bear, others have Stanley Cups. Sad thing, our coach is a Huggy Bear enabler. 

No it doesn't. Maybe a peewee team would think that. But grown adults wouldn't. Just like a grown adult isn't going to be intimidated by another player solely because the fans call him "The Venomous Snake" or something cringy and nonsensical. That's the kind of mindset that gives you dumb team names like the "Wild" or uniforms like the flying V. Do you think a member of the Pittsburgh Penguins is shaking in their skates from fright when playing the Sharks because sharks eat penguins?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, McBackup said:

No it doesn't. Maybe a peewee team would think that. But grown adults wouldn't. Just like a grown adult isn't going to be intimidated by another player solely because the fans call him "The Venomous Snake" or something cringy and nonsensical. That's the kind of mindset that gives you dumb team names like the "Wild" or uniforms like the flying V. Do you think a member of the Pittsburgh Penguins is shaking in their skates from fright when playing the Sharks because sharks eat penguins?

There’s this thing called image, it’s why some guys get lucky more than others, in sports you want to cast a tough image, it makes a difference, ever hear “ keep your head on a swivel when so and so is on the ice”? That’s image and it alters the oppositions play. Why do you think players chirp, same reason. I’m sorry but huggy bear just doesn’t cut it in the NHL.