The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on Sportsnet 650 with Halford & Brough - June 24, 2021

Rate this topic

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

1 minute ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

My buddies say that watched him in kelowna and he played like a baked potato 

I’ve never seen him so they could be right but he was drafted 14 OA and someone pointed out that TB is going to go with 8 skaters so they can protect him. They must see something in him.

Just now, 4petesake said:

I’ve never seen him so they could be right but he was drafted 14 OA and someone pointed out that TB is going to go with 8 skaters so they can protect him. They must see something in him.

Yeah and my buddies can be morons so i dont take them seriously. You picked at 14 youre decent at least lol

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, spook007 said:

Spot on... was thinking the same thing...

Huge difference moving a top 10 pick, when knowing its a top 10 pick, to making a trade involving a 1st round pick, not knowing when the pick will be....

As I mentioned in an earlier comment you must of missed, 9 of the 13 top 10 picks traded in the last 15 years were traded within a week of the draft or on draft day. Long after the teams knew they were top 10 picks.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Convincing John said:

Cal Foote? Are you high? I watched that loaf of bread play in Kelowna. Why would he even come up in a 9th OA conversation. There are probably 7 d in this draft with better upside than that potato. And Cernak hey? You know we are picking 9OA at the max cap right. Wth is Tampa gong to take back in salary. This isn’t EA sports dude. 

Cal Footes going to be a heck of player.

Sounds personal.  Did he steal your gf?  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Foote is kind of a slow lumbering skater, who thinks the game at that level too.  There are reasons why young D like Foote and Fabbro (who have hyped resumes) aren’t playing in important games.  They really aren’t that good.  

Ohh the token " slow and lumbering" argument.  

Nothing slow about Foote or Fabbro.

2 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Ohh the token " slow and lumbering" argument.  

Nothing slow about Foote or Fabbro.

Nashville GM just said Fabbro needs to work on skating.  And Foote plays slow.  Say what you want, but we don’t want to spend assets on these guys, especially (Big) Foote

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Convincing John said:

Cal Foote? Are you high? I watched that loaf of bread play in Kelowna. Why would he even come up in a 9th OA conversation. There are probably 7 d in this draft with better upside than that potato. And Cernak hey? You know we are picking 9OA at the max cap right. Wth is Tampa gong to take back in salary. This isn’t EA sports dude. 

Yes because it would be nigh impossible to accommodate Cernak's MASSIVE $2.95 million cap hit. How could we ever manage such a monumental task? 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, appleboy said:

I didn't want to say it but I agree with Foote comment. I was wondering why they were playing Schenn over Foote if he was a good young talent. Not someone yu give up a 9th for. 

That sounds like a forth round pick.

Yeah, I wouldn't spend 9 OA on Foote. Cernak on the other hand...

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Foote is kind of a slow lumbering skater, who thinks the game at that level too.  There are reasons why young D like Foote and Fabbro (who have hyped resumes) aren’t playing in important games.  They really aren’t that good.  

Watched Fabbro back when he was playing for BU. I posted about how Keller and McAvoy were stand outs while Fabbro had lots left to be desired back then as well. I should replace Brackett 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, spook007 said:

On paper that looks juicy…  

Just not sure about 2022 unprotected… a couple of injuries to fwds and we could miss the playoff again. A lot of interesting players in the next two drafts ( yes I know, same most year, so sometimes you just gotta go for it)…

You do not buy high on players.  Giving up an unprotected 1st when you just finished last in the weak Canadian division is not smart.  What good teams do is identify defenceman that other teams are giving up on or away for cheap that are young enough and have yet to hit their prime.  Similar to the Islanders getting Nick Leddy out of Chicago or Montreal stealing Jeff Petry from the Oilers.  This is the type of players the Canucks need to identify before they hit their prime.  Going after Colton Parayko now at that price is super risky.  I love the idea of going after Graves since Colorado is up against it with the expansion draft and Graves had a rough series against Vegas.  I think Graves has a huge upside and could become our Colton Parayko.

3 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

What if Cernak on Vancouver is not Cernak on Tampa?  A 9th overall pick should not be traded for a defensive defence man.

Why? Its not like its a 1st overall pick and a no brainer pick. You ain’t guaranteed to nail a number 9 pick but we are guaranteed one hell of a defenseman to join the team now while horvat and miller are in their prime years. Give me the sure thing thats cheap, young and can give a decade or more of great play with quinn.

• Cheers 4