The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on Sportsnet 650 with Halford & Brough - June 24, 2021

Rate this topic

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

2 minutes ago, Bure2Win said:

If they don't make the playoffs next season Benning will be gone.

And your point is what exactly?  When we make the playoffs next year Benning gets a four year extension?  

These hockey guys want to have the best possible reputation, so they can get another job.  If they make changes that others perceive as in their personal interest ahead of the team’s best interest, they will not get another job.  

1 hour ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Means if he screws up we can easily get rid of him. Whats the buyout for a million dollar contract? If he plays like he has and becomes a good teammate well we might have struck gold without giving up any assets

edit: wouldnt he be the perfect person for the sedins to mentor? Isnt this  one of the main reasons they were hired?

are the Sedins the most over-rated mentors since Sickie Wifebeater

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mentors_(band)

1 hour ago, DefCon1 said:

A good player might fetch even a high 1st this year. So teams like TB and NYI that have many good players exposed to Seattle will definitely try to offload the best player exposed for high picks and prospects. This is where Jim Benning will take advantage of ED, similar to how he got JT Miller. I trust Benning in these type of situations because he usually makes out like a bandit :P

Jim traded for Miller, Schmidt, Pearson, Sutter, Leivo, Toffoli, Motte, Spooner, Gudbranson, Bonino, Prust, Dorsett, Baertschi. Vey

How do you get usually or bandit out of that group?

Miller and Schmidt are the only 2 that even remotely meet this criterion

On 6/24/2021 at 4:17 PM, Bure2Win said:

If they don't make the playoffs next season Benning will be gone.

If they had a season like Calgary with the offseason they had, you might be right or Green will be replaced by Shaw.

JB better not make the same cap mismanagements again.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Montreal's showing the league how valuable that kind of defenseman can be.  Personally I love those guys and hope we move towards that style.  You absolutely need a couple of big guys willing to clear the crease like Myers, although I wish he was meaner.  Can't coach size.

So annoyed that tryamkin didn't back himself and come over here to see if he has what it takes to be an nhler. 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

We won't be making any significant changes until we rid ourselves of those contracts!!!!!!

We will need to be patient for one more year. 

What's in the mentality of LE    

Almost seems like spite for him to stick around instead of retiring. 

Those contracts aren't tradable imo 

Louie lost millions on a restaurant chain a couple years ago, I forget the exact details but he's probably happy to collect every dime of this contract.

• RoughGame 1

I think a lot will happen over the off season. Once the Cup is awarded, things will ramp up, with the expansion draft, etc. I hope Benning can keep the #9 and improve the team now. He's going to have to overhaul the Bottom 6 and D. Podkolzin will be nice to add to the lineup, to replace Virtanen. My guess is the owners are on-board with the plan and there will be a couple of buyouts. Eriksson and Virtanen? What happens with Ferland? And Beagle? It sounds like they may want to use Miller as a C to have 3 scoring lines, possibly moving Bo to C the 3rd line? 

Hoglander - Pettersson - Boeser

?? - Miller - Podkolzin

Pearson - Horvat - ??

Motte - Highmore - MacEwen

Roussel

I like Hamonic and hope they re-sign him, but I would prefer they bring in a better partner for Hughes as well. And if they re-sign Edler, it better be cheap.

Hughes - ??

Schmidt - Myers

Juolevi - Hamonic

Edler

Rathbone

35 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Players like Cole Caufield are why you use the 9th pick. 

Next year we will see Podkolzin and smile.  This kid has star written all over him.

We already have our star in Petey.

If there’s a chance to get a really good young D man in a trade you do it.

5 hours ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

So with Hughes, Schmidt, Rathbone, & Meyers already penciled in for next season & us trying to get bigger, stronger & meaner, where & how does Juolevi fit in to our group. 
In my eyes there's only room for 2 players from these 3 Schmidt, Rathbone & Juolevi. 
I believe Schmidt will have a bounce back year. Always tough for any player coming in to a new team. He'll be much better this year. Rathbone is just better than Juolevi now. 
Adding 2 guys you mentioned above is exactly what this team needs. I don't see a spot for Juolevi for next season on this team. 

Can never have enough defensemen, OJ will get ice time. We always have injuries.

• Cheers 1