The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] nashville/kings arvidsson To LA: Arvidsson To NAS: 2021 2nd RD, 2022 3rd RD

12 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

LA could rebound sooner than some expect, San Jose is in no man's land though

No idea what the hell Anaheim is doing 

If you think Nucks fans hate Vegas, imagine being a rival Cali hockey fan 

They could yes.

But in the same sense Vancouver and Calgary could too. Not to mention Seattle who could be an instant playoff team.

LA just doesn’t have the scoring and they don’t have the horses to play their old suffocating style of play. Not to mention their goaltending is suspect.

They’ve got a lot more question marks than answers.

4 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Could you not also say the same of LA, which fill be facing easier competition now? Shouldn't their percentages also boost up? I think it could go both ways.

Except they haven’t improved that much to think they’ll fly up the Pacific standings.

They finished 2nd last only ahead of San Jose last year and dead last the season before.

Where exactly have they improved since then? I just see Doughty, Quick, and Koptiar continuing to regress. Does Byfield step in and offer them the spark they need? Maybe, but I don’t see it. Maybe if their core was a few years younger.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Except they haven’t improved that much to think they’ll fly up the Pacific standings.

They finished 2nd last only ahead of San Jose last year and dead last the season before.

Where exactly have they improved since then? I just see Doughty, Quick, and Koptiar continuing to regress. Does Byfield step in and offer them the spark they need? Maybe, but I don’t see it. Maybe if their core was a few years younger.

My point isn't so much that the Kings will be playoff contenders, but more that they could be playoff contenders. I don't expect it, but I just think that it's more of a possibility than I suspect you do.

As far as I can see, Quick is already being phased out as the current backup (played 22 games to Peterson's 35 games this year). Petersen (26 years old) looks to be at least an average NHL starter, which is far more than can be said for Quick.

I can't see Kopitar really improving, but so far he hasn't really regressed in the past few years. Even this past year, despite being in a much tougher division, he maintained his point production. That said, he's 33 years old and nearing 34. He'll probably fall off pretty hard soon.

Doughty actually had the best year he's had in the past three years this past year. He's certainly not a Norris candidate anymore, but still a solid #1/2 defender and like I said, only 31 years old. He could reasonably still have another 3-5 good years left in him.

I don't think Quick is part of their core anymore, but I would agree that both Kopitar and Doughty are (possibly even Brown given his recent bounceback). Offensively, after that you have Iafallo (27 years old) and Kempe (24 years old). Kempe has potential, but I doubt it's 1st line potential. Viliardi might surprise, but my gut is that he's not going to become a 1st-line guy. Byfield could be a wildcard and they have some other young (though less exciting) players in Bjornfot and maybe Anderson-Dolan if he can continue to improve.

As I implied with my reaction to the trade, I think it's premature and that the Kings will still need another year or two before they start seriously contending for the playoffs. That said, they're certainly ahead of San Jose and Anaheim in the California battle and probably the ones to rise again soonest to contest Seattle, Calgary, and Vancouver for a playoff spot.

Was hoping we might pick him up.

I think he may have a bounce back season.

He's a player that thrives off the rush.

Have heard that Nashvilles system got more

Defensive last year which may have held back his offense.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

They could yes.

But in the same sense Vancouver and Calgary could too. Not to mention Seattle who could be an instant playoff team.

LA just doesn’t have the scoring and they don’t have the horses to play their old suffocating style of play. Not to mention their goaltending is suspect.

They’ve got a lot more question marks than answers.

LA's gonna have to forge a new identity, they don't have the horses to play the way they did at their early to mid 2010's peak 

But Kopitar and Doughty should be effective for a while yet, who knows what they could do 

Lot of teams with question marks in the Pacific, Vegas is the only sure playoff lock imo  

Seattle's gonna be interesting, I don't see em having quite the beginning Vegas did, but who knows? I figure GM's will be more wary this time

3 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I agree with @Master Mind  > Dont sleep on LA.

C ice depth; Kopitar, Vilardi / Turcotte, Byfield / Andersson-Dolan still have Tyler Madden & Kempe has been a C. That has potential to be the best in the NHL.

Doughty, a d!ckhead, is also a great D. Mikey Anderson is a legit young D, Maata serviceable vet for a top 4, Matt Roy a good one.  Have Clague & Bjornfot to inject this year. H-Grans next PMD, Jordan Spence...

Wicked young wing prospect depth; Fagemo, Anderson Dolan, Kupari, Akil Thomas, Arthur Kaliev, cough Lias Andersson.  

A lotto pick this year, STILL a full compliment of picks even having traded for Arvidsson.

They could easily trade for an impact D, find some extra help at goalie to be a very dangerous team. As early as this year!  My actual projection?  I see them as NYR this and last season.  Ready to launch?

Fully agreed. 

LA is on the mend. And speaking of aging vets, Kopitar had one of the most underrated seasons in the NHL this season, too. And although he's 33, he still has plenty of mileage left. Dude's a specimen.... 

Although I understand where people are coming from when they say that many of LA's prospects aren't quite NHL ready yet, while that's true, many of them are. Vilardi, for example, is no joke. Neither is Mikey Anderson. And those who aren't ready now, are only a season or two away (or 3, but you get the point). So with that being said, I think the Arvidsson move was a brilliant one for them. I think that he's at that perfect bridge-gap age in their build. By the time he's Kopitar's age, think about the age that all those prospects "who aren't ready" will be by then... Byfield will be close to Horvat's age to put things into perspective. Adding Arvidsson allows the Kings to be that much more competitive, and make no mistake, adds an irreplaceable amount of heart and soul to their group.

Few here seem to see what Blake and Robataille are doing - but I can. And given their RICHES in picks and prospects, they can do more, and I don't think they're done adding yet. They have enough futures assets to offset another potential "now" move. Although I think the Nucks are ahead of them as far as being competitive goes, they're very much in the mix to be a playoff team. It'll actually be very exciting to see the Canucks, Kings and Kraken duke it out for those final playoff spots. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

:huh:

Calgary sucks.

Yes but I still think they’re better than their record this season.

All depends on the potential outcome of a Tkachuk trade.

They’ve still got Marky and a solid enough D. Sutter could squeak out plenty of boring wins.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yes but I still think they’re better than their record this season.

All depends on the potential outcome of a Tkachuk trade.

They’ve still got Marky and a solid enough D. Sutter could squeak out plenty of boring wins.

I just think they have some major culture issues, and that core needs a shakeup. It's a dog's breakfast. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I just think they have some major culture issues, and that core needs a shakeup. It's a dog's breakfast. 

Probably.

Sutter can make chicken salad out of chicken sh&! though.

Wouldnt be surprised if they acquired a bunch of big grinders and reverted to boring trap hockey.

This trade, is probably Blake's way of giving the old core a last run with there new young core; and (more importantly) a litmus test of the youths readiness.   Arvidson, is still young with good value; so good chance, Blake can perhaps bring him back to the market for futures.

2 hours ago, babalu said:

Was hoping we might pick him up.

I think he may have a bounce back season.

He's a player that thrives off the rush.

Have heard that Nashvilles system got more

Defensive last year which may have held back his offense.

I feel if we made this deal, CDC would have another one of it's Benning hating meltdowns. The typical trending down near 30 years old small vet topic would come up surely, especially giving up what would be equivalent to a relatively high 2nd and a 3rd rounder.

Now I do agree that Arvidsson wouldn't be such a bad pickup, but I also do think LA overpaid given that Arvidsson's numbers have been trending downwards plus in this flat cap market with expansion looming. But I respect LA seeing a target available and going after him and making a fair hockey trade for both sides.

What confuses me is on LA's side in which they could've just kept Toffoli. Instead they traded him and basically spent the same value to bring in a player that likely fills the same void. It's like they wanted to rebuild, but then decided to 360, perhaps to appease Doughty after his comments.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Anaheim's going through a slow and methodical rebuild. They're not ready to compete again for some time, but they've got a few bluechip prospects in their pipeline + a 3rd overall pick coming. 

That pick will help, no doubt, shame we couldn't win a top three pick for once

They always seemed less in no man's land than San Jose, but yeah, they probably won't be competing any time soon 

12 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You know you haven't had your coffee yet when you read and think.

The Kings are moving to Nashville? 

haha I just woke up from a nap and thoought it was tomorrow

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

This fan based - thinks tanking are for lovers and it develops a losing culture (Deadmonton syndrome), despite the fact that alot of teams keeps tanking in a losing season with great results; and Aquaman knows this, so he keeps pushing for the playoffs regardless of whether it is obvious the season is lost.

The season is never lost until we are mathmatically eliminated... by 5 points

How'd you like the first unit PP toning it down to only 1:45 in the last game of the season?

11 hours ago, awalk said:

Imagine trading declining players for draft picks... sigh... 

I just saw his name while looking up Roland McKeon 

drafted 62 picks later and 27 after Keegan Iverson