The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks have made offers to UFAs Alex Edler and Travis Hamonic

24 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

definition of insantiy isn't it? 

doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result? 

To those who believe they know the definition of insanity, I would challenge to learn the definition of definition.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Elder also a mainstay and a leader.

He’s respected, although Wayne Simmonds tested that out quite well, hah. As 5-6 he still provides great value.

We have a young, emerging D corps (QH, JR, OJ, Chatfield, etc) that still requires veteran leadership and if Eddie comes in cheap he is one of the best available options for that, hands down.

Him and Myers are key to the club unless they can be upgraded on without damaging cap space for next couple yrs.

• Vintage 2

Just now, Devron44 said:

Seriously though. 4 million AAV between the 2 would be reasonable

I would be OK with this and I think it's good to think of their combined cap hit.  Hamonic on the open market will certainly cost more than he was paid last year.  Edler's nowhere worth the $6M he was paid last year and personally I would expect him to be best suited for 6/7 role at this stage of his career.

On a separate note, I assume that there is an implicit understanding that the offers, if they are accepted at all, will not be accepted until after expansion.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Seriously though. 4 million AAV between the 2 would be reasonable

Last year was also a flat cap year.

Tyson Barrie got $5 or $6 mill.  Shattenkirk near $4 mill x 2 or 3 years (cannot remember).  

Point is it will still cost $3 to $5 mill to get a 2knd pair defenseman of any substance. There will be one or two bargain deal late when guys lose leverage. There will be 8 or 10 others > where teams seek bargains?  Yet don't achieve any such substance...  

It will also still cost $5 to $8 mill, more, for a bonafide top pair defender. Or equivalent pain in assets...

Two 2knd pair D for $4mill combined would be a major achievement!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Oh boy.. nothing against either of them but watching the d last year, it seems silly to give the same lineup another go.. it’s one thing if they’re stuck under contract but to re-sign the same d-core.. not a fan of this.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I am an outlier.

I really like Hamonic.  Believe his skill set is incredibly hard to place / acquire.  Look how badly we played at the beginning of the year with him missing.

Look how much better Hughes played with him in the line up!

I am ok re-signing Edler.  We did just finish a contract where we asked him to commit to just two years. So he would not have to protected in ED?  We also paid him $6mmill which was more than fair dinkum. I'd like to see him, he's 35, recognize that he can help the team.

Their combined contracts have to come in less than the $7 mill we paid this year if we are to acquire further help...

The goal ADD help, not create more holes by letting Hamonic walk! 

tenor.gif?itemid=9268807

1 minute ago, EliasBoeser said:

Oh boy.. nothing against either of them but watching the d last year, it seems silly to give the same lineup another go.. it’s one thing if they’re stuck under contract but to re-sign the same d-core.. not a fan of this.

Newell Brown.

• Haha 1

The D was awful last year, so bringing back all the same personnel seems risky even with some improvement from a system's point of view. But I like Hamonic and RHD won't be that cheap. Hopefully Edler signs a super cheap vet contract if he's brought back. Maybe moving Schmidt for a better right-sided fit will be the difference between this year and last.

As for Edler and Hamonic, I think they both sign cheaply and Edler doesn't want to leave so I doubt he'll ask for a lot. Hamonic is interesting since there are the rumors that he is willing to go outside of western Canada now and will be a hot commodity in the bottom 4 pairings department.

If you want some size on the back end that may be cheaper options, I like Jani Hakanpaa from CAR and Derek Forbert from WPG for some depth options if available.  Both players with size and can fit in a 5/6 depth role. Both UFAs and you can probably get them for 2M and lower.

Some Hakanpaa highlights:

And as we know about Derek Forbort:

• Cheers 3