The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks have made offers to UFAs Alex Edler and Travis Hamonic

1 hour ago, Honky Cat said:

Does this mean that there were not any other deals/options out there ?

i'm not sure but, this could even mean we have a deal in place for Schmidt AND have already have an agreement with Hamilton.

this could be great news!

• RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

i'm not sure but, this could even mean we have a deal in place for Schmidt AND have already have an agreement with Hamilton.

How does Hamilton get a deal in place before we are even allowed to talk to him. We don’t have his rights?

Edited by Devron44
Spell correct
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

How does Hamilton get a deal in place before we are even allowed to talk to him. We don’t have his rights?

actually let me dig it up, but carolina has allowed him to speak to other teams.

https://www.tsn.ca/video/hurricanes-give-hamilton-permission-to-speak-with-other-teams~2217149#:~:text=Hurricanes give Hamilton permission to speak with other,start of free agency%2C according to Darren Dreger.

Edited by Petey_BOI
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Why?  He's still a good player at a much cheaper price.  Solid pk'er, plays physical, is a team leader and with significantly reduced mins is still a positive force out there.

People who expected him gone were delusional, imo 

He wont get any minutes reduced, He does not have the footspeed which is why he backs up so much on the rush with horrible gap control. Or they'll close in on him to fast and  its a penalty every time, pick 1  a trip or holding. The knee on hymen type stuff is the result on bad decision making, went for the hit got beat so he stuck out the leg. Cant make a breakout pass without icing it or it getting intercepted. Offensively....... nothing. Management needs to focus on get bigger RH D to allow our young LHD stars to show what they have not have old LHD take up prime minutes with predictable results. 

2 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

He wont get any minutes reduced, He does not have the footspeed which is why he backs up so much on the rush with horrible gap control. Or they'll close in on him to fast and  its a penalty every time, pick 1  a trip or holding. The knee on hymen type stuff is the result on bad decision making, went for the hit got beat so he stuck out the leg. Cant make a breakout pass without icing it or it getting intercepted. Offensively....... nothing. Management needs to focus on get bigger RH D to allow our young LHD stars to show what they have not have old LHD take up prime minutes with predictable results. 

who you signing for under 2m instead?

7 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

Or it could also mean that most action is going to happen after the expansion draft and up to free agency and JB is making sure he has at least some insurance policies ready in case he can’t complete on something after. It’s also good for both parties because it’s hard to tell which way the market will shift afterwards and at least the preliminary discussions have already been had. 

• Cheers 3

13 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Prefer to see Schmidt on the left side.

Hughes Hamonic

Schmidt Myers
Edler/Rathbone - UFA/Trade

Extra: Joulevi.

You got to consider injuries. Especially if a Righty goes down.

And we will need 2 defencemen if Schmidt is traded imo 

What if we trade Schmidt to Buffalo for Ristolainen?  Sign Hamonic and Edler.

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Happy with bringing back these guys for a good price and upgrading once our bad contracts expire.  Patience is a good thing.

Agreed.  Discount, short term deals with an eye on cap space to really upgrade the team down the road.   We still don't know what OJ/Rathbone are really capable of and these guys will insulate them as they get used to the show. 

Fairly certain Edler's deal will come with a home town discount as he took a bit less on the last contract to stay.  Harmonic is the question mark but if he really wants to be close to home AND be competitive, he'll take a discount as well.  

Now is the time to set a precedent that we want to compete and that means everyone buying in and taking discounts on contracts.  If you're not on board you'll be shipped out.

Now find us that RHD for Hughes, JB.

Just now, RWJC said:

Or it could also mean that most action is going to happen after the expansion draft and up to free agency and JB is making sure he has at least some insurance policies ready in case he can’t complete on something after. It’s also good for both parties because it’s hard to tell which way the market will shift afterwards and at least the preliminary discussions have already been had. 

I agree with that too. Heck it could be JB offering a 1m edled deal and a 2m hamonic deal, just to say "look I tried"

He could offer them a contract that either greatly benefits us and still not really care if they sign or not.

Lots of ways to interpret this.

• Like 1

Just now, Alflives said:

I think Hamonic Needs to be signed regardless yes or someone similar. Just think right now we have one Right Handed defencemen

As far as Edler goes personally if he’s gone that’s fine. But hes useful for another year in the bottom 4. I personally don’t think he’s getting the 3 million I’ve seen on here. 

13 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

Exactly 

1 minute ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Could literally be benning sending them league min offer so he can say he made an offer rather than saying he ran out of time lol. 

Haha exactly. I guess he should have offered that TT guy 1 million just so it wouldn’t blow back on him that he didn’t offer him a contract lmao 

1 hour ago, Honky Cat said:

Does this mean that there were not any other deals/options out there ?

it very well could signal prices are too high, at least right now. Its also telling Seattle (or others) they have competition for Hamonic if he was on their radar at all. 

I'm OK with either walking tho if they think they can go out an get more. 

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

I think/hope this is a sign that JB is trying to pkg out Schmidt for something else that’s favourable.  I like the player but I really don’t think he fits into the team culture that well, especially coming from Vegas where it’s more like a frat club mentality. He’s a good locker room guy for the right locker room though.

Does it? or are we just shoring up where we can because we're keeping Nate? could play either way. 

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

Also read something silly this morning that the Habs have reached out on the price to acquire JT Miller. There was a tweet from some fella employed by NHL central scouting about it. Haven’t included the link because it’s not a legit resource.

Suzuki and MTL's 1st, sure. 

• Cheers 4

Elder had a bad year last year and his foot speed was so slow I cannot see any deal.as being good value at this point. 

I would prefer to let Edler walk at this point of his career because slowman plays like the one made on Hyman are a team liability.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why are you so hung up on Risto? He doesn't seem to defend very well, he is physical, but I'd say he needs to pick his spots better.

Now grain of salt, he does play for Buffalo. But how do we know he's going to do better here? It's not like he's cheap either at $5.4 million.

• Cheers 3
  • Huggy Bear 1