The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shea Weber's career threatened by lingering foot, ankle problems

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Who do you take in their prime, Pronger or Weber?

Weber for me, hands down.  And I saw a ton of Pronger.

Pronger was over-rated imo - and got away with murder - when you were allowed to hack and whack and obstruct and interfere with impunity.  Playing with guys like MacInnis and Neidermeyer didn't hurt either.    Playing actual defense is more challenging in the present day NHL.    Weber probably would have been even more dominant in previous eras - is/would be more intimidating imo (Pronger was more stick work than he was intimidating) - and he did not have the absolute rocket that Weber does (one of the most frightening one-timers in the modern NHL).

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

He may decide to show more loyalty to Montreal.  Having to deal with $7.85 LTIR for the next 5 seasons is a huge pain for Montreal. It really handcuffs them.  He’ll certainly be on LTIR this season but beyond that he may choose to help out the Habs over the Preds 

I think he has 12 million reasons to choose LTIR over retirement.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Sad.

But I always hate the speculation that lingers in my mind.  That he could play through pain for $12 mill a year.  But not $2.4 mill per the next 5 years or whatever it is...

Still making $6m next year...

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

So a player who just went to the Cup finals and played well over 20 minutes a game all of a sudden has an injury that may prevent him from every playing again...sounds like BS to me!

First - Weber has struggled with injuries for a long time.  Can't recall who the quote was from, but they essentially said that when you see Weber's knees without hockey equipment on, you wonder how the hell the guy continues to play the game.  This time it's apparently another of his recurring injuries - his foot.

He missed three weeks heading into the playoffs.

And anyone that has watched enough of Weber would realize that he typically loads up on a constant basis and unleashes one of the most frightening shots in the NHL - he hardly took any all playoffs, and the shots he did take, were few and far between and a fraction of the heaviness he's capable of when he's healthy (I believe he had a hand/wrist/arm injury as well).

This is a guy that has scored 20 goals as a defenseman 3 times - has 224 career goals (10 times he's scored 15 or more in a season).

He is/was one of the Habs biggest weapons - and  we saw virtually none of it all playoffs (1 goal in 22 games is probably one of, if not the driest scoring stretch of his career? - and certainly well below any standard of his usual production.

Absolutely no doubt that he wasn't anywhere near healthy.  It's a damn shame - because a healthy Weber, Petry, Price, Gallagher....makes a much more dangerous Habs team. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, coryberg said:

I think he has 12 million reasons to choose LTIR over retirement.

$6m this season. $3m the following season.  After that you may see him file his papers.  Or maybe not.  I could see it as a possibility though. Not much different than what Luongo chose to do when his salary hit $1m 

38 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Weber for me, hands down.  And I saw a ton of Pronger.

Pronger was over-rated imo - and got away with murder - when you were allowed to hack and whack and obstruct and interfere with impunity.  Playing with guys like MacInnis and Neidermeyer didn't hurt either.    Playing actual defense is more challenging in the present day NHL.    Weber probably would have been even more dominant in previous eras - is/would be more intimidating imo (Pronger was more stick work than he was intimidating) - and he did not have the absolute rocket that Weber does (one of the most frightening one-timers in the modern NHL).

I don’t how you can say he’s overrated, when he’s only one of 5 defensemen to ever win a Hart trophy (last to win one). He took 3 mediocre teams to the finals. Without Pronger, Edmonton, Philadelphia, and Anaheim doesn’t have those Cinderella runs. 

Your argument about playing in different era is kind of flawed. Since Pronger also played in the same era as Weber, against the same competition and was still super effective at an older age. 

Edited by shiznak

7 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

$6m this season. $3m the following season.  After that you may see him file his papers.  Or maybe not.  I could see it as a possibility though. Not much different than what Luongo chose to do when his salary hit $1m 

if Weber goes on LTIR there's no reason for him to come off it. Lu didn't bother to even try. 

18 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

if Weber goes on LTIR there's no reason for him to come off it. Lu didn't bother to even try. 

The only reason to come off is to help out Montreal.  There was clearly a lot of mutual respect between him and Bergevin so maybe it’s a possibility.   Is it likely? Probably not. But it is possible 

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Applying for LTIR? (Honest question)

Not sure what you're asking me here? Yeah, he likely tries to rehab most of next season, on LTIR and makes a call from there on LTIRETIREMENT or regular retirement.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Chris Pronger. Not even close. One of only two defencmen in the modern era to win the Hart Trophy. Bobby Orr was the other one. 

I think it's pretty funny how many people think it's not close... On both sides :lol:

IMO they're exceedingly closely matched. I'd honestly have trouble picking one or the other.

• Cheers 1

Shea Weber...B.C. born (Sicamous) and raised...someone for all of us British Columbians to be proud of.  I think we have seen the last of Shea Weber.  Will go down in history as one of the top ten defencemen to ever play in the NHL.

He's what I would consider a FOUNDATIONAL PLAYER.

Edited by bigbadcanucks
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

Cone on now... Don't think it gets much closer.

Both were/are dominant, punishing, two way, true #1 D who can dictate a game in every nook and cranny of that 200' of ice.

I'm all for selecting one over the other but to say it's not close... Come on...

he thought you meant Sean Pronger

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I think it's pretty funny how many people think it's not close... On both sides :lol:

IMO they're exceedingly closely matched. I'd honestly have trouble picking one or the other.

Shea Weber is close to Scott Stevens.  Chris Pronger is a level above both of them.  He was the best player in the NHL in 2000, including all the forwards and goalies.  He was a +52 that year.  He went to the finals with 3 different teams and led Anaheim to the Cup when they never had won it before he arrived.  Is it a coincidence Pronger shows up in Edmonton and they go to the finals, then Burkie brings him to Anaheim the very next year and Anaheim goes to the finals and wins it all? 

I get all the hate for Pronger, but if he was a Canuck he would have been a fan favourite...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, shiznak said:

I don’t how you can say he’s overrated, when he’s only one of 5 defensemen to ever win a Hart trophy (last to win one). He took 3 mediocre teams to the finals. Without Pronger, Edmonton, Philadelphia, and Anaheim doesn’t have those Cinderella runs. 

Your argument about playing in different era is kind of flawed. Since Pronger also played in the same era as Weber, against the same competition and was still super effective at an older age. 

Ryan Reynolds Wtf GIF

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/hockey/.amp/news/greatest-teams-of-all-time-2006-07-anaheim-ducks

Screenshot_20210714-231814_Chrome.jpg