The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jason Dickinson | #18 | C

-AJ-

25 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I believe his widow, Beverly, is still alive. My old memory thinks they did not have any children at the time of his death but I could certainly be wrong on that one.

At this point I really have to wonder who really cares?

I am sure the RIP crowd care

but does anyone in the Maki family care?

realistically it might be more of a ROH thing than a quasi retired number thing 

• RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, lmm said:

At this point I really have to wonder who really cares?

I am sure the RIP crowd care

but does anyone in the Maki family care?

realistically it might be more of a ROH thing than a quasi retired number thing 

His widow and his brother Chico were the ones that complained to the Canucks when Messier was given #11. Although his brother has since passed away I believe his widow would likely object to #11 being worn again.

• Cheers 3

49 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

His widow and his brother Chico were the ones that complained to the Canucks when Messier was given #11. Although his brother has since passed away I believe his widow would likely object to #11 being worn again.

Well, if his widow is still alive, and she still cares the number should stay on the shelf.

If that is the case, maybe the Canucks should either retire the number permanently or move Wayne to the ROH

Wayne had 2 kids

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think we should honor the Maki  family and the mom can give JD the jersey. 

And put up a ROH tribute in lieu of his memory. Maybe a donation or scholarship or something in his name. 

I see images of Dickinson in Dallas wearing 16 & 18, Texas Stars 11 & 39. Why are we so sure he even wants to wear 11?

14 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I see images of Dickinson in Dallas wearing 16 & 18, Texas Stars 11 & 39. Why are we so sure he even wants to wear 11?

No idea to be honest. He's never worn #11 in the NHL.

• Cheers 1

On 8/9/2021 at 5:58 PM, Rick Blight said:

With all due respect, there isn't much of a hockey legacy to protect by withholding no. 11 from use.  I believe the Canucks organization have done a marvelous job of honoring Wayne Maki for the past 40+ years. I also believe it's time to put the number back into circulation.  A tribute of some sort (I'm not imaginative enough to come up with one) to Wayne Maki would be fitting, and then put the number back to use.  I feel the same about #28, #38. 

On the other hand, I would like to see the Canucks officially retire no. 37...I see it as a way to honour all those who suffer from emotional and mental health challenges.

As far as Messier wearing no. 11 is concerned, I think everyone pretty much complained about it because it was the Mess.

I have a feeling that Dickinson will wear no. 18. 

Edited by bigbadcanucks
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

18 looks like Jake? 

And 39 will forever be Cody Hodgsons.

I would rather see players pick new numbers than recycling old ones all the time. It’s like the team is trying to save money on jerseys or something…

I could honestly see him being number 15 or something boring like 13.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

18 looks like Jake? 

Yeah I kind of doubt he’d want 18 but if he did maybe the team would be happy to give it to him and move on from Jake. I don’t really care about his number but I don’t think we even know what number he’d like. 11 is up to the Maki family of course but to be honest I don’t care for un-retiring numbers. 

I don't see why we'd need to put 11 back in circulation. There are 99 numbers to pick from, minus the ones retired or currently in use. Thats a lot of options. We already brought it back for an "all-time great" (eyeroll), and look at how that went. I don't see the point in bringing it back for a third line centre who has no known attachment to the number.

42 minutes ago, McBackup said:

I don't see why we'd need to put 11 back in circulation. There are 99 numbers to pick from, minus the ones retired or currently in use. Thats a lot of options. We already brought it back for an "all-time great" (eyeroll), and look at how that went. I don't see the point in bringing it back for a third line centre who has no known attachment to the number.

That's his old number. 

I don't think the Maki's would mind.