The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Adam Larsson to test FA

12 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah but it would probably be in the 7-7.5M ballpark long-term since he had a pretty off-year and doesn't have any rights or leeway as Petey would for example.

Wouldn't be smart for him to sign long-term from an agent's standpoint given those circumstances. I would want him to sign a short-term deal to where his qualifying offer would be 7.5M+ and where he'd have arb rights/could be offer-sheeted. Right now Hughes and JB aren't on an even playing field when it comes to negotiations, scale tilts in JB's favor.

If he does sign long-term though 7-7.5M x 8 years would be pretty nice.

7-7.5m would be a possible steal for Benning in years 4,5,6,7 and long term security for Hughs. I think Benning has the upper hand on both short and long term deals

21 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Larsson would be a great add, but if it's him at 5 x 5.5 or Hamonic at 4 x 3.5, I'm picking Hamonic.   Maybe that changes if we can move Holtby or Schmidt but as things stand, we need the cap space even if we're buying out Virtanen and Roussel.  The cap difference between Larsson and Hamonic would allow us to get another decent bottom of the roster player, which we definitely need.  We can look at 6 million dollar + players next year when we have the cap. 

18 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Harmonic at 3.5 uggh honestly thats a rip off for a bottom 5 or 6 defenseman imo

Got agree with Bertuzzi here. I want the younger, tougher, better RHD defender as compared to a better bottom 6 winger ... although the more I think about it, it's very close as to what the better move might be. It seems as if Larsson is more of a sure thing though.

2 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Yes...you are correct @Bertuzzipunch.  My calculations were specific to the net "savings" for 2021-22. 

So the options for loui are

A) trade Loui with a second rounder opens up 6 mill in cap

B ) buyout loui save 2 mill on cap, 4 mill cap hit this year. 1 mill cap hit next season

c) ride it out, bury him and save about 1.25 or so on the cap. 6 mill next offseason. 

i hate to lose a draft pick but how it would help us so much this offseason. im still going option A and never talking about that dude again. Lol

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

B ) buyout loui save 2 mill on cap, 4 mill cap hit this year. 1 mill cap hit next season

c) ride it out, bury him and save about 1.25 or so on the cap. 6 mill next offseason. 

i hate to lose a draft pick but how it would help us so much this offseason. im still going option A and never talking about that dude again. Lol

That's a tough one...if push came to shove, I would go option B.  As long as Pettersson and Hughes can be done at $14M AAV and Dickison at $2.625M AAV (as projected), I think the cap for 2021-22 will be fine. 

But if Bergevin phucks everything up with an Offer Sheet of $9M to $10M, then I'd be all for Option A.

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

My tune has changed after seeing what has happened so far this offseason. At first i thought it was best we ride loui for another year but if we can improve our team with a top 4 dman like larsson who would be a perfect fit to pair with l hughes im all for that now and want louis cap hit gone. All reports was he was re-signing with the oilers so didnt think much of it but if he actually tests free agency then i want to be all in on it. He’s literally the kind of dman we need with size and nastiness, blocks a ton of shots and hits ppl.

Larsson has never struck me as nasty. He seems like a younger Edler. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, bigbadcanucks said:

That's a tough one...if push came to shove, I would go option B.  As long as Pettersson and Hughes can be done at $14M AAV and Dickison at $2.625M AAV (as projected), I think the cap for 2021-22 will be fine. 

But if Bergevin phucks everything up with an Offer Sheet of $9M to $10M, then I'd be all for Option A.

Yeah thats why we need both quinn and petey signed before the 28th

• Cheers 1

My question is, with UFAs is their any sort of rule against players re-signing with their respective clubs during the expansion draft if it is publicly known they do not wish to sign elsewhere and refuse to sign with the Kraken, its almost like they are a protected player…. And ironically all UFAs do not want to resign with their current club and they all seem to be “confirmed” to head to free agency. Like idk why Landeskog would want to walk away from Colorado, Edler made it clear in his last negotiations he wanted to remain a Canuck which is why he took a 2 year deal so that he protects himself, now Larsson wants to leave a team with the most gifted athlete on the f***ing planet… it just seems like this “heading to free agency” thing might just be put on for show?

Idk im just maybe reading into it wrong, but the amount of UFAs that are all headed elsewhere and dont sound interested in resigning with their club seems a bit strange…

12 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Got agree with Bertuzzi here. I want the younger, tougher, better RHD defender as compared to a better bottom 6 winger ... although the more I think about it, it's very close as to what the better move might be. It seems as if Larsson is more of a sure thing though.

Larsson is 2 years younger than Hamonic, but in no conceivable way is he tougher. 

1 minute ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Well going by how he played vs us at the end of the year he was a total douchebag. Let him be a jerk for us lol

I don't remember what he did exactly. I remember every time the Canucks played the Oilers, McDavid would scream to the refs whenever Sutter touched him. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Yeah thats why we need both quinn and petey signed before the 28th

If I'm Pat Brisson and JP Barry, I would be waiting until after the 28th for Pettersson...that's what I'm expecting to happen.  I'm also betting that the Kraken leave Price alone, especially with all the injury uncertainty around Price. 

But, there's also talk out of local scribes in New York and Philly suggesting the Rangers/Flyers take a run a Pettersson.  So, one way or another, JB's hand may be forced to match an Offer Sheet. 

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Larsson is 2 years younger than Hamonic, but in no conceivable way is he tougher. 

I meant he plays a more robust game. He gets around the ice way better blocking shots and hitting people. Hamonic while improving his play at the end of the year is fairly lumbering and slow. I should have said Larsson is tougher to play against, in my opinion.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

a more physical (but not nasty) and more durable versions of Tanev, almost ideal partner for Hughes, would like more nasty but nothing is perfect

I've seen some of his hits. They are reminiscent of Edler's. He's a decent defenseman.

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

I meant he plays a more robust game. He gets around the ice way better blocking shots and hitting people. Hamonic while improving his play at the end of the year is fairly lumbering and slow. I should have said Larsson is tougher to play against, in my opinion.

I didn't find Hamonic slow at all towards the end of the season. I think he found his footing quite well and was the best overall defenseman on the team by time things wrapped up. 

• Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Do you think a 2nd moves Loui?