The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Adam Larsson to test FA

Just now, Sbriggs said:

Agree

JB did play hardball with Boeser too and it landed Boeser a 5.875M cap hit on a bridge deal prior to COVID.

Hughes' agent was clever to get Petey to change agents to him. I bet he's trying to lump their contracts at the same cap hit.

I doubt JB is gonna bite on that though. RFA signings he's been good at for the most part.

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

JB did play hardball with Boeser too and it landed Boeser a 5.875M cap hit on a bridge deal prior to COVID.

Hughes' agent was clever to get Petey to change agents to him. I bet he's trying to lump their contracts at the same cap hit.

I doubt JB is gonna bite on that though. RFA signings he's been good at for the most part.

True, but you never know if a long term deal is put on the table by either party that maybe works for both parties....I'm just saying

2 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

True, but you never know if a long term deal is put on the table by either party that maybe works for both parties....I'm just saying

Yeah but it would probably be in the 7-7.5M ballpark long-term since he had a pretty off-year and doesn't have any rights or leeway as Petey would for example.

Wouldn't be smart for him to sign long-term from an agent's standpoint given those circumstances. I would want him to sign a short-term deal to where his qualifying offer would be 7.5M+ and where he'd have arb rights/could be offer-sheeted. Right now Hughes and JB aren't on an even playing field when it comes to negotiations, scale tilts in JB's favor.

If he does sign long-term though 7-7.5M x 8 years would be pretty nice.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, RWJC said:

No offense meant but why would SEA take Roussel? You think JB made a side deal?

It's just my dream scenario... but now that you mentioned it.. perhaps we could trade Woo to them if they take Roussel. :emot-parrot:

12 hours ago, BPA said:

If a 2nd is all it takes to move LE, then do it.  It's a no brainer.  Canucks could possibly recoup a 2nd (or at least a 3rd) from trading Holtby.   Maybe even acquiring more picks if Schmidt is also traded away (but I'd rather keep him and see how he would do in a full season).

sounds like a no brainer but there would be massive outcry no doubt.  Now, if there's a big time deal to be made that requires shedding LE salary this year then F'em and do it.  Never know.  Canucks could make some noise this season with the right pieces in place

• Like 1

Lots of potential outcomes which I think Seattle will help us narrow down.

If we lose Holtby, we have to sign a backup goalie.

If we keep Holtby we might be able to flip him for a defenceman (surprisingly seems to be interest out there, Zadorov...)

Edler will take a while talking to other teams before circling back, if he does.

No real news about Hamonic yet but of course this will decide things too.

I just hope we don't have a Toffoli-like moment where JB falls asleep or runs out of time and these guys get snatched up. We have to, at a minimum, resign Hamonic fast - he's a cheap reliable player who is one of the few defencemen who could play with the risky Hughes and make him more stable. I think we need to lock him down first, otherwise we have no safety net.

Then next priority IMO is Larsson, if we sign Larsson and let Hamonic walk it's still an upgrade. If we have both we're ready to roll again. If we get neither, we're in real depth trouble.

All this talk of OEL/Zadorov trades will take much too much time, meanwhile Larsson will get snatched up and Hamonic too. Hopefully JB sees the importance of these guys for our young mobile defencemen because without Edler we really lack a stable top D-man. Not sure who's going to match up top lines, Myers and Schmidt? No thank-you. Grab Larsson and play him hard with Hughes and on the PK for the next 5 years.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

sounds like a no brainer but there would be massive outcry no doubt.  Now, if there's a big time deal to be made that requires shedding LE salary this year then F'em and do it.  Never know.  Canucks could make some noise this season with the right pieces in place

Yep.

Do it if the chance to land a good chance at signing a big name UFA comes around.

• Cheers 1

Question for anyone who might have an answer. I feel like the generally consensus around Larsson a couple weeks or a month ago was that we were better off not spending our cash and waiting till next year. While Larsson would be a good fit for us, he will likely be overpayed (like all free agents) and we don't have disposable cap yet.

Now it seems like the consensus is to go hard after him. Did the Edler statement about signing elsewhere make a big difference, or am I just interpreting the consensus wrong.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Question for anyone who might have an answer. I feel like the generally consensus around Larsson a couple weeks or a month ago was that we were better off not spending our cash and waiting till next year. While Larsson would be a good fit for us, he will likely be overpayed (like all free agents) and we don't have disposable cap yet.

Now it seems like the consensus is to go hard after him. Did the Edler statement about signing elsewhere make a big difference, or am I just interpreting the consensus wrong.

My tune has changed after seeing what has happened so far this offseason. At first i thought it was best we ride loui for another year but if we can improve our team with a top 4 dman like larsson who would be a perfect fit to pair with l hughes im all for that now and want louis cap hit gone. All reports was he was re-signing with the oilers so didnt think much of it but if he actually tests free agency then i want to be all in on it. He’s literally the kind of dman we need with size and nastiness, blocks a ton of shots and hits ppl.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

I still prefer waiting and then going for Manson or Parayko.  I'm 100% opposed to wasting picks to get rid of one year of a bad contract.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Larsson would be a great add, but if it's him at 5 x 5.5 or Hamonic at 4 x 3.5, I'm picking Hamonic.   Maybe that changes if we can move Holtby or Schmidt but as things stand, we need the cap space even if we're buying out Virtanen and Roussel.  The cap difference between Larsson and Hamonic would allow us to get another decent bottom of the roster player, which we definitely need.  We can look at 6 million dollar + players next year when we have the cap. 

24 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

My tune has changed after seeing what has happened so far this offseason. At first i thought it was best we ride loui for another year but if we can improve our team with a top 4 dman like larsson who would be a perfect fit to pair with l hughes im all for that now and want louis cap hit gone. All reports was he was re-signing with the oilers so didnt think much of it but if he actually tests free agency then i want to be all in on it. He’s literally the kind of dman we need with size and nastiness, blocks a ton of shots and hits ppl.

I've been of the opinion that buying out Loui Eriksson is the way to go.  The aggregate cap cost of doing this is slightly higher than burying him in the minors, but I think the extra $875k the Canucks could gain this season is more valuable than the $1.0M that it will cost in 2022-23 (especially with Luongo's recapture penalty coming off the books and Beagle and Roussel's contracts expiring - total cap being made available: $9.035M in 2022-23 from these expiring cap liabilities).

Throw in a buy out for Jake Virtanen, and this would result in an extra $50K (2021-22) and $500K (2022-23) in dead cap space.

I think the question is whether the $875K is worth more this season than $1.0M next season.  I'd say the $875K is worth more now.

2 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

I've been of the opinion that buying out Loui Eriksson is the way to go.  The aggregate cap cost of doing this is slightly higher than burying him in the minors, but I think the extra $875k the Canucks could gain this season is more valuable than the $1.0M that it will cost in 2022-23 (especially with Luongo's recapture penalty coming off the books and Beagle and Roussel's contracts expiring - total cap being made available: $9.035M in 2022-23 from these expiring cap liabilities).

Throw in a buy out for Jake Virtanen, and this would result in an extra $50K (2021-22) and $500K (2022-23) in dead cap space.

I think the question is whether the $875K is worth more this season than $1.0M next season.  I'd say the $875K is worth more now.

Actually it would be 14.035 mill if u add the 5 mill from loui no?