The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Nate Schmidt being dealt very soon any minute now

10 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

bob Mc kenzie is semi - retired.

That's too bad really miss TSN's hockey panel for the draft and playoffs even his son is working for Sportsnet now also. They had a good thing come draft time and free agency, trade deadline  with Bob and LeBrun and McKenzie and Button chiming in.

Even had Ray Ferraro in there as well.

Such a shame we get stuck with second rate Elliote and Sam Cosentino as the analysts now.

Bieksa was there best hire but the States will have better hockey talent covering with ESPN getting the rights back after so long.

Edited by Chip Kelly
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

4 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

That's too bad really miss TSN's hockey panel for the draft and playoffs even his son is working for Sportsnet now also. They had a good thing come draft time and free agency, trade deadline  with Bob and LeBrun and McKenzie and Button chiming in.

Even had Ray Ferraro in there as well.

Such a shame we get stuck with second rate Elliote and Sam Cosentino as the analysts now.

Bieksa was there best hire but the States will have better hockey talent covering with ESPN getting the rights back after so long.

Wtf, Sam Cosentino is a walking encyclopedia of prospects. He's a gem, no question about it.

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Wtf, Sam Cosentino is a walking encyclopedia of prospects. He's a gem, no question about it.

Sorry, can't take the guy seriously with his facial hair choices... distracts from whatever he is talking about.

He is too Canadian junior focused for my liking.

Pierre McGuire was also an encyclopedia but that doesn't mean everyone loved him as well.

Craig Button and Ray Ferraro were much better than what Sportsnet can come up with.

• Haha 1

With the Jake buyout JB is in no panic whatsoever and holds leverage on any trade proposals for Holtby and Schmidt. Absolutely can go into the year with both of them unless a killer deal comes up. Can't remember a time, if ever, where JB had so much leverage. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, rekker said:

With the Jake buyout JB is in no panic whatsoever and holds leverage on any trade proposals for Holtby and Schmidt. Absolutely can go into the year with both of them unless a killer deal comes up. Can't remember a time, if ever, where JB had so much leverage. 

See it otherwise.

Free agency opens up on the 28th.  Can they really be active.  Would they add a backup if Holtby hasn't been traded yet.  Feels like that would give the leverage back to the other GMs who know Vancouver has now 3 goalies.  Similar on defence - can they really be active in free agency and use up Schmidt's cap space if he hasn't been traded by then.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, rekker said:

How much cap room to the Canucks have left to add another piece to the d core?

Assuming Hughes signs for 5 years at around 8 million per.

Petersson also at least 8 million for 5 years as well.

Just now, rekker said:

Leverage? FA starts on Wednesday, G available include: Mrazek, Grubauer, Anderson, Ullmark, Bernier, Reimer, Halak etc...Holtby at 5.7m in salary is going to be the 2nd highest paid G of all the FA G to be come Wednesday, Grubauer should be 6m or more the rest will be less.

Holtby at the TDL 50% retained should net us a pick tho.

Schmidt: Suter is gonna sign a short term deal for much less than Schmidt, don't think a team pays a ton for him and the Canucks should consider keeping him and using OEL - Schmidt as our new top pairing and move QH down to 2nd pair with Hamonic or some new replacement if he walks. 4 years left on Schmidt's deal doesn't make him some highly sought after commodity before FA starts or after the season he had with us, better off seeing him rebound unless he demands a trade then you hopefully get out from his full contract with no retention or bad deal coming back.

For some reason a Schmidt to Fla for Stralman and a pick seems like what might end up happening, just a guess on my part.

2 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Leverage? FA starts on Wednesday, G available include: Mrazek, Grubauer, Anderson, Ullmark, Bernier, Reimer, Halak etc...Holtby at 5.7m in salary is going to be the 2nd highest paid G of all the FA G to be come Wednesday, Grubauer should be 6m or more the rest will be less.

Schmidt: Suter is gonna sign a short term deal for much less than Schmidt, don't think a team pays a ton for him and the Canucks should consider keeping him and using OEL - Schmidt as our new top pairing and move QH down to 2nd pair with Hamonic or some new replacement if he walks. 4 years left on Schmidt's deal doesn't make him some highly sought after commodity before FA starts or after the season he had with us, better off seeing him rebound unless he demands a trade then you hopefully get out from his full contract with no retention or bad deal coming back.

For some reason a Schmidt to Fla for Stralman and a pick seems like what might end up happening, just a guess on my part.

Leverage in that there is no need for JB to do anything if he doesn't see the right deal. Worse case we keep a legit backup and top four D. No need to do anything really. I agree that Holtby may be worth more at the deadline but if we are in playoff contention I'd rather keep him. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Instead of Stralman I could see Gudas getting traded back the Canucks need a stay at home Murray Barron type.

5 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

How much cap room to the Canucks have left to add another piece to the d core?

Assuming Hughes signs for 5 years at around 8 million per.

Petersson also at least 8 million for 5 years as well.

Not sure to be honest. But if they give Hughes 8 per I will be disappointed. His defensive game was horrible last year so in my mind, no way is he worth 8 till he improves that. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Instead of Stralman I could see Gudas getting traded back the Canucks need a stay at home Murray Barron type.

Cheaper cap hit, Stralman was rumoured to waive for Arizona with the hopes of playing with OEL, that was the rumour anyway...

I am fine with Gudas, would be my preference over stralman as he is younger and cheaper. 

• Cheers 1